• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Gas mileage - how to improve

There are many different views on this topic.  If you have time you can read all the replies to this post.
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,84687.0.html

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

You have a truck. It has a 300hp engine and weighs 3 tons.  Enjoy it. 

My 2006 gets about the same mileage as my 85hp 1987 Nissan Hardbody and my 190hp 1995 GMC Jimmy.

If you want mileage, then get one of these.  You won't be comfortable but you'll get better mileage:

Attachments

• rabbit_diesel_ad.jpg
    rabbit_diesel_ad.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 491
:laugh:      :laugh:
Goooood Mileage
images

Larry: 16.9 is pretty good. A Hypertec controller might add a 0.5 mpg at best, and keep your tires inflated.

Avalon

Clean the Mass Air Flow sensor, install an Cold Air Intake, Tune Up, Performance Exhaust, Performance Tune & Tire Pressure (like avalonandl  suggested), and drive it like an old lady. Keep RPM's at 2000 with all that you might get close to 20 MPG's on the highway.

MooseAlanche said:
Clean the Mass Air Flow sensor, install an Cold Air Intake, Tune Up, Performance Exhaust, Performance Tune & Tire Pressure (like avalonandl  suggested), and drive it like an old lady. Keep RPM's at 2000 with all that you might get close to 20 MPG's on the highway.

Also use cruise control anytime you can. I set mine anytime I am doing over 25MPH. My best mileage is 26, my worst is 9. Right now living in the mountains I am getting 16. But I have to get up to speed extremely fast. My neighbor hoods minimum speed limit is 35. And the only access road is off of highway 41. So you have to just jump on the accelerate and climb up hill on the highway to go to Oakhurst or to Fresno. The other problem I have is people do not drive the speed limit. They like to brake before every corner and anytime someone is coming in the other lane. So I spend a lot of time driving with one foot on the gas and one on the brake.
However when I lived in Idaho the ground was flat and the roads open. I averaged 18-20 there. When I would drive from Pocatello to Salt lake City for GTG's I would get 20 -22 all the time, and that was doing 80MPH. So terrain and driving habits and keeping your engine tuned make all the difference in the world.

That's great, my average is just about 14.2... I wish I seen 16 + but will never happen  :B:

16 point something is my normal for everyday city/highway driving. When the colder weather arrives and I begin to not use the air conditioning as much, I'll proably see an incremental bump in mileage.

You figure you drive what you want.  >:D

Shane - when'd you move to Coarsegold? I thought you were still in ID.  We were in Bass Lake last spring. Beautiful area!

I got here at the end of May. My father was dying of Cancer. I moved out here in August after he passed to help take care of my mom. I have not been to Bass lake, but I have been to Shaver and a bunch of other places in the mountains. I do love it up here, it is so nice.

Slow down lol. I have 2002 2500 at  65 mph i get 15 at 70 mph 12.5 and keep it tuned up.

Put a block under the gas pedal so you can only go 10% throttle.  :eek:

It's all the little things you should do that will help your incremental gas mileage but don't expect any significant gains; probably not more than another mpg. SLOW off the start, anticipate red lights & coast when in traffic, drive 55 mph on the highway, keep your tires aired up to maximum sidewall pressure. That's a start.

I get my best mileage when I drive very conservative. Also keeping the engine tuned and the oil changed. My best mileage comes after doing a complete tuneup, oil change and throttle body. Along with proper tire pressure.

The best MPGs I get is when the wife drives.
Ya I have to hear I get over 20 and what do get. :E:
I drive to enjoy not MPGs.
I can have my wife come show you how to improve your MPGs.  :laugh:

Well i have an 07 AV and get close to 15 mpg dont care i love this truck so far for a newbee driving one loves the leg room in mine yea have a Merry safe Christmas 

Uhg..  :laugh:  :laugh: Might as well just buy and drive a Prius then...that sounds like no fun at all!  >:D

MyBigToy said:
Put a block under the gas pedal so you can only go 10% throttle.  :eek:

It's all the little things you should do that will help your incremental gas mileage but don't expect any significant gains; probably not more than another mpg. SLOW off the start, anticipate red lights & coast when in traffic, drive 55 mph on the highway, keep your tires aired up to maximum sidewall pressure. That's a start.

avalonandl said:
Larry: 16.9 is pretty good. A Hypertec controller might add a 0.5 mpg at best, and keep your tires inflated.

Avalon

I've got one of those HyperTech E-con programmers.... used it and don't really notice too much of an increase.  Anyone have any tips on using this?  Thanks!

New to the forum, 05 AV Z71 with body cladding, 6" rough country susp. lift.  I live in Honduras and just got my Avalanche about 2 months ago and cannot get over 12.2 mpg average unless I drive it like a granny.  It is nice to drive though if someone does come up with a mpg improvement please post it.

Back