Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
11/23/14 01:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adhesive Ventvisor vs in the channel  (Read 3502 times)
ultra4u

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« on: 10/26/10 07:25 PM »

Any thoughts on which will work better on a 2011 Avalanche, the one mountef on the outside with adhesive tape or the in the channel type? Help me!

2011 Avalanche --Blue Granite Metallic
carnut

Avalanche, The Ultimate Urban Assault Vehicle!

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 10/26/10 08:31 PM »

I have a 2002 Av that I have owned since September 2002. I bought the GM accessory kit that had the molded mud flaps, hood deflector thing and the vent visors for all 4 doors. The factory accessory vent visors use the double sided tape and I have had them on for almost 8 years now. Not a bit of problem with them at all. Installed them myself, very easy to do. I have seen some visors painted body color before installed, and they do look good. The down side is it creates an even bigger blind spot to your left front at the windshield pillar. The smoked ones you can sort of see thru.

Classic Car Nut, 29 Chevy coupe, 67 Camaro SS and (I must be insane) 73 Vega GT. And now, 2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71 loaded. Mods: Waag brushguard, billet grill, ambers, bug deflector, weather-flecters, molded mud flaps, flashlight, fender "flares".
MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2014 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 10/26/10 09:20 PM »

Same here I have the double sided tape ones and they came with the AV.

Now I have heard stories that the inchannel ones cause wind noise, but that's what I heard and have no proof of it.

2003 2500
Dueck
CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 10/26/10 09:34 PM »

I have the Weather Tech in channel ones and love them. I prefer the in channel as they don't stick out as much as the double-sided tape ones. I haven't had any wind noise issues with mine. Installed in 10 minutes or less.

2007 LTZ, SOM, GM bug deflector, Chevy mud flaps, Weather Tech floor mats & vent shades, mid-deck, painted bowties, rear head rest mod, amber DRL's, low profile bedslide, RECON LED tail light bar, Bowtie hitch cover, FTDRL, Silverstar zXe headlights, AR893 black & machined wheels/Nexen Roadian HP tires, LED reverse lights, EZ Down tailgate assist .
VI - Winnipeg, Manitoba
MyBigToy

Too much power is just enough!

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 10/27/10 04:00 AM »

I've had the Weathertech in-channel visors almost since the day I bought the truck (8 years & 4 months now) and have had zero issues with them. I had a set of the adhesive-mount visors on my truck prior to the Avalanche and had one of them come loose after about 5 years; it wasn't a big deal as I just used a small amount of Superglue to stick it back down. I prefer the Weatherech visors because they are lower profile.

2002 LPM Z71 - Magnacharger w/3" pulley, TOG's headers, 216/224-.551/.551-115 cam/pushrods/dual springs/titanium retainers, built tranny, Yank TT2600 converter, 24K GVW Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Flex-A-Lites, ProCold intake, MSD wires & TR6 plugs, 20" Panther Juice 6's, 2.8" rear lowering springs, J&J Enterprises stainless grille, body-color taillight covers, custom metal rear step bumper. Self-tuned with HP Tuners software.

Daily driver: 2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i w/Special Appearance Pkg
ultra4u

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 10/27/10 05:53 AM »

Thanks for the info, I have always used the adhesive mounted ones as well with good success was just curious as to whether or I wanted to try a set without..

2011 Avalanche --Blue Granite Metallic
CodeBlueEMT
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 10/27/10 06:07 AM »

I removed the GM accessory visors  for in-channel visors. Getting the adhesive off of the paint was a royal pain. I went through two cans of adhesive remover.  I like the in-channel look much better.
txyank1
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 10/27/10 06:37 PM »

I had in-channel style on my '99 X-cab and my Wife's X-plorer and both had wind noise. I swapped mine, but she kept hers for years (til we traded it in). They both both had a kinda "bow" in the middle too,which I didn't like. I've seen others that looked like that too. The brand was Weather-Tech.

'03 LPM WBH Base model W/Buckets&Bose 2/13/03-1/16/06.
'05 BBM WBH Base model W/Sun&Sound 1/16/06-6/3/06
'06 SBM WBH Z66 W/Sun&Sound 6/3/06--11/19/14 : Pro Cold CAI W/Airaid tube; VentVisors; Lloyd Mats; MagLite Mod; Painted: BT, grille mesh, engine cover, hitch cover; Tahoe Z71 rear bumper; Gatorbacked on 3/4/09;
11/19/14 Downsized - Traded the Av for a Lincoln MKX. Sure did love the AV!!
HawaiianBrian

Be good or be gone!

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 10/27/10 07:02 PM »

In channel is the best choice, I've had it on my 07 and no issues. Had the 3m tape one on my Tundra, they used to flap in the breeze every now and then and had to be re-taped quite often.

2007 3LT - Silver Birch.
coolram62

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 11/01/10 04:00 PM »

I have Weather Tech in-channel sets for many years on different vehicles without any problems. I also prefer them to the non-in-channel and also the other brand in-channel as they always fit better than any other I've seen. I have a set on my '07 Avy now with no wind noise or fitment problem.Now if I could decide on which hood deflector to go with. I'm thinking clear and paint the back to match (51U gold mist) instead of using a smoke colored one.

'07 Avalanche LTZ 5.3 FFV,Ambers/K&N CAI,Superchips Flashpaq,Magnaflow Muffler,Resonator Delete/4L60E/2WD/20" KMC Venom Wheels/Nexen RD HP 275-55-VR-20/DJM 2" rear lowering springs/Airlift/3.73/EXT Tail Lights/AVS Hood Deflector (clear painted to match)
'83 Z28 LU5,K&N,MSD,Hypertech/700R4/G80/J65/G92/Power Everything
'73 C10 CST Factory A/C BB,K&N/TH400
Strobin'01
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

relationships s**k

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 11/01/10 06:22 PM »

I have the GM Accessories vent visors with double sided tape on my AV.  I had another brand which I can't remember what brand, the GM was replaced by the dealership.  I had my AV in for body work, and they had overspray all over them, so they replaced them free of charge.  I took the old ones off myself, and like everyone said, a pain to do.  I use goo gone and after hours, made no progress.  I ended up going to a local window tint shop and they had an attachment to a drill that got the adhesive off.  Left marks on the clearcoat, but was covered up by the new visors.  The GM ones, I noticed on the drivers front, I am missing a little bit of double stick tape so I do have a spot in which water can get in.  I don't know if this is something recent or if it has always been this way.  I've had these for a couple of years now, and just noticed this about 3 months ago.  The sunlight hit it just right when I was getting gas and saw the gap.  As for the in-channel.  I had them on my 2000 Silverado.  I liked them.  But one day, I had the window completely down on the passenger side, and when I shut the door, the visor fell to the ground.  Now, being that it has been 10 years since I had them, the technology and fitment more than likely improved since then. 

Why does my life go great for a while then spirals downward?
MedicBob

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 11/20/10 12:03 PM »

Had Stick ons and after a hail storm, got them replaced with in channel. The in channel ones look better IMHO and I have no noise issues.
TxDarth

I love the '07 Av...it is no longer "Butt Ugly"

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 01/16/11 12:27 PM »

Weather Tec's and they do have wind noise....

« Last Edit: 01/16/11 08:10 PM by TxDarth » Logged

'07 Silver Birch LTZ - Born-ed on date 2/07 - all the creature features - no rear DVD.
Blu Granit Metalik

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 02/22/11 01:36 AM »

Great info on hear, I had the stick ons with my 97 Tahoe but now I think I'll try the weather tech in channel ones on my 08 Avalanche! Thanks Guys
Flint4x4
CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 02/22/11 06:01 AM »

I had in channel ones on my '02 and one flew off, a friend had put them on for me at cost a Goodwrench. Replaced them free with autoventshade stick on ones. The two-sided tape dried out and they started to leak in spots. The two-sided tape was expensive when I replaced it.

I bought the same autoventshades for my '04, almost 7 years and no problems.
I made sure to clean the surface well with alcohol wipes provided, no leaks.

"Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education."  - Bertrand Russell
Retsailor

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 04/08/11 07:36 AM »

I have had both and they each have their problems.  I love the stickon but you have to make sure that that you put them on correctly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: