• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Adhesive Ventvisor vs in the channel

ultra4u

Any thoughts on which will work better on a 2011 Avalanche, the one mountef on the outside with adhesive tape or the in the channel type? :help:

I have a 2002 Av that I have owned since September 2002. I bought the GM accessory kit that had the molded mud flaps, hood deflector thing and the vent visors for all 4 doors. The factory accessory vent visors use the double sided tape and I have had them on for almost 8 years now. Not a bit of problem with them at all. Installed them myself, very easy to do. I have seen some visors painted body color before installed, and they do look good. The down side is it creates an even bigger blind spot to your left front at the windshield pillar. The smoked ones you can sort of see thru.

Same here I have the double sided tape ones and they came with the AV.

Now I have heard stories that the inchannel ones cause wind noise, but that's what I heard and have no proof of it.

I have the Weather Tech in channel ones and love them. I prefer the in channel as they don't stick out as much as the double-sided tape ones. I haven't had any wind noise issues with mine. Installed in 10 minutes or less.

I've had the Weathertech in-channel visors almost since the day I bought the truck (8 years & 4 months now) and have had zero issues with them. I had a set of the adhesive-mount visors on my truck prior to the Avalanche and had one of them come loose after about 5 years; it wasn't a big deal as I just used a small amount of Superglue to stick it back down. I prefer the Weatherech visors because they are lower profile.

Thanks for the info, I have always used the adhesive mounted ones as well with good success was just curious as to whether or I wanted to try a set without..

I removed the GM accessory visors  for in-channel visors. Getting the adhesive off of the paint was a royal pain. I went through two cans of adhesive remover.  I like the in-channel look much better.

I had in-channel style on my '99 X-cab and my Wife's X-plorer and both had wind noise. I swapped mine, but she kept hers for years (til we traded it in). They both both had a kinda "bow" in the middle too,which I didn't like. I've seen others that looked like that too. The brand was Weather-Tech.

In channel is the best choice, I've had it on my 07 and no issues. Had the 3m tape one on my Tundra, they used to flap in the breeze every now and then and had to be re-taped quite often.

I have Weather Tech in-channel sets for many years on different vehicles without any problems. I also prefer them to the non-in-channel and also the other brand in-channel as they always fit better than any other I've seen. I have a set on my '07 Avy now with no wind noise or fitment problem.Now if I could decide on which hood deflector to go with. I'm thinking clear and paint the back to match (51U gold mist) instead of using a smoke colored one.

I have the GM Accessories vent visors with double sided tape on my AV.  I had another brand which I can't remember what brand, the GM was replaced by the dealership.  I had my AV in for body work, and they had overspray all over them, so they replaced them free of charge.  I took the old ones off myself, and like everyone said, a pain to do.  I use goo gone and after hours, made no progress.  I ended up going to a local window tint shop and they had an attachment to a drill that got the adhesive off.  Left marks on the clearcoat, but was covered up by the new visors.  The GM ones, I noticed on the drivers front, I am missing a little bit of double stick tape so I do have a spot in which water can get in.  I don't know if this is something recent or if it has always been this way.  I've had these for a couple of years now, and just noticed this about 3 months ago.  The sunlight hit it just right when I was getting gas and saw the gap.  As for the in-channel.  I had them on my 2000 Silverado.  I liked them.  But one day, I had the window completely down on the passenger side, and when I shut the door, the visor fell to the ground.  Now, being that it has been 10 years since I had them, the technology and fitment more than likely improved since then. 

Had Stick ons and after a hail storm, got them replaced with in channel. The in channel ones look better IMHO and I have no noise issues.

Weather Tec's and they do have wind noise....

IMG_0828.jpg

Great info on hear, I had the stick ons with my 97 Tahoe but now I think I'll try the weather tech in channel ones on my 08 Avalanche! Thanks Guys

I had in channel ones on my '02 and one flew off, a friend had put them on for me at cost a Goodwrench. Replaced them free with autoventshade stick on ones. The two-sided tape dried out and they started to leak in spots. The two-sided tape was expensive when I replaced it.

I bought the same autoventshades for my '04, almost 7 years and no problems.
I made sure to clean the surface well with alcohol wipes provided, no leaks.

I have had both and they each have their problems.  I love the stickon but you have to make sure that that you put them on correctly.

Back