• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Tail light Problems

omahava

PM 2017
SM 2007
Is there a fuse for passenger side tail light?The socket is dead! :beating:I've checked most fuses underhood and dash....The Zone wants $35 for  another socket and I'm not sure its  the problem....... :help:

There is a junction block on the rear frame that more the likely has corrosion on the plug that goes to the light.

Attachments

• junction box rear.JPG
    junction box rear.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 324
I'm currently dealing with the same problem. I've removed the junction box and noticed severe corrosion. Where do you think is a good place to find a new/used junction box? How about the plugs that attach to the junction box?

Thanks!

To piggyback on my last question - What other vehicles would have the same junction box setup as a 2003 av? I'm probably going to be checking out salvage yards to find the part. It would be nice if I could widen my search to include Silverados, Yukons, etc.

Don't know how good they are, use lot of dielectric grease or silicone to seal them

EBAY Link

Thank you. I'm going to buy this and see if that takes care of my problem.

Just so you guys know, the block is not in the same place on all AV but it's back there some place.

I was at Oreilly earlier today and they sent me on my way, telling me to check salvage yards.

OK here is some more info for you these are the plugs you may need

Rear Lamps ? Junction Block
C-1 ? Rear Chassis Harness Connector

Connector 8-Way F Global Tech 280 Series (BLU)
Typical Connector 15305595 (F)
Color BLU
Typical Terminal 15304716
Typical Cable Seal 15366061

C-2 ? Left Tail Lamp Connector

Connector 7-Way F Global Tech 280 Series (GRY)
Typical Connector 15305596 (F)
Color GRY

C-3 ? License Plate Connector

Connector 8-Way F Global Tech 280 Series (BRN)
Typical Connector 15305599 (F)
Color BRN

C-4 ? Right Tail Lamp Connector

Connector 7-Way F Global Tech 280 Series (BLK)
Typical Connector 15305597 (F)
Color BLK

Sometimes you have to help them help you...click on the link and take em the part number or GM part# 15304995 $33.15 at dealer.  (y)

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/DOR6/923012.oap?year=2004&make=Chevrolet&model=Avalanche%2B1500&vi=1423886&keyword=923-012

The part is located behind bumper on passenger side rear quarter panel.

You're exactly right! I called this morning with that part number and I will have it by 11:00. Thank you very much for the help! If I ordered it off E-bay last night I would have paid almost twice as much and received it in 4 days or so.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread. I wanted to thank everyone once again, and tell you that the part has been replaced and everything is working great!

Thanks

I need to replace this junction box on my 2002 Avalanche, one of the pins is completely corroded off.

How difficult is the junction box replacement? I haven't removed mine yet because the other lights are functional (just the parking lights are out) and I want to be able to drive it if I really need to. How does the junction box wire up to the truck?

I'm not the type of person who does much as far as vehicle repairs go, but this was very easy for me. The junction box should cost about $20-$25 from O'Reilly's. Four cable harnesses hook into this juction box. Unhook each of the cables and then hook them into the new junction box. Depending on the degree of corrosion, you may need to remove part of the pin that broke off from one of the cables (it may just need a needle nose to pull it out). This whole process took me less than an hour and has been working just fine ever since.

Ah, I see... so it is just a connector for different harnesses, and they all attach at the front. I thought there might be some wiring behind the harness, running through the frame or something.

Thanks

Really glad I found this thread! I have been pulling my hair out with this issue, and playing bulb roulette. I was going to replace the pigtails, but will replace the junction block first. What a crummy place to put that thing. :beating: I am an O'Reillys employee, and was able to get the part no problem. Hi ho out to go lay in the snow I go!

I went round and round with the same problem until I found out about the junction block. Changed it and no problems since. Bad location for it though. I want to find someone to possibly weld on a debris shield for it.

omahava said:
Is there a fuse for passenger side tail light?The socket is dead! :beating:I've checked most fuses underhood and dash....The Zone wants $35 for  another socket and I'm not sure its  the problem....... :help:

I have an 02 Avalanche and have been plagued with Rt. Rear Turn Signal problems since owning the vehicle. I have changed the junction box and RR harness. I would like to find a drawing or schematic that illustrates the connector and pin numbers of the junction box. Just purchased the Chilton manual...no help. Does anyone have the drawings of this box? Thanks

:E:I'm having lots of problems with my tail lights.....checked all bulb,fuses,relays all fine. I even changed the BCM on advise from other members and a GM employee and still having issues. Lots of ppl say its the junction box but I can't find one anywhere on the truck. Issues i'm having is when the truck is in park all the lights are on even the reverse lights on both side but very dim on the left side and when driving and day time running lights are on same thing happens. Only light thats not dim is the top brake light even the plate lights are dim. Now when the headlights are on the left side rear lights are completely out and blinks fast like a bulb is out. Its a 2007 Avalanche lt with no modes any help at this point is welcome :help:

Your best bet is to climb under the truck and look for the wire harness that goes to the back.. It is on the drivers side and follows the rail on my '03 truck and same on my girlfriends '13 silverado.

Follow those wires and you will find the box wherever it is.  On both mine and my girlfriends truck the trailer lights are in the harness all the way to the trailer harness. The tail lights on my truck go over the spare tire mount to the passenger side frame rail and the block is there.

On my girlfriends truck it is as in the picture shown above and is on the rear frame crossmember  very close to the wire harness.

Just be aware when you follow the wires that it has to go to the passenger side tail light somewhere.

I didn't trace out my girlfriends 2013 wire harness but mine feeds all the wires across the spare tire mount brace to the junction block and returns the wires for the drivers side back across the same spare tire mount brace to run to the tail lights. The passenger side tail lights run directly from the junction block.

So as I said, if you follow the wire harness to each tail light you SHOULD find the junction box. it IS possible someone removed the junction box and hard wired the wires together but not likely.

2007 av Don't come with junction box. Gave serial number to GM tech and got build sheet and no junction box. Checked grounds under the hood and behind driver side front wheel, cleaned it and still nothing. Any other ideas?? I heard another guy say that the wiper/turn signal multi switch arm has all the brake lights running thru it cause of their being no junction box. Any truth to that??

i had the exact same symptoms last winter when it was wet and cold...... only when left signal was engaged
only lasted for a few days, i never had a chance to investigate... hasn't happened  since...

last week 07+avalanche was making a left turn, crossing in front of me, i noticed his front signal light was flashing faster then normal, after passing him i looked back and sure enough, his reverse lights were on and brake lights were really dim....

08 avalanche 5.3 ltz

Back