Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
07/30/14 04:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEW BATTERY - DO I NEED TO RESET COMPUTER?  (Read 3215 times)
arneycl

2005 Avalanche

Awards
« on: 12/12/10 12:10 PM »

Hi guys. First, let me say that I've tried searching this topic but for some reason the search feature isn't working for me. So I appologize if this is on the forum already.

I just put a new battery into my 2005 Avalanche. Do I need to reset the ECU or whatever you call it? If so, how is it done? Can someone point me to the directions on how to do it?

Also, I know there are alot of topics about MPG but I used to get 18 MPG but for the past year and half I've only been getting 16. My Avalanche is a 2005 and it has 75,000 miles on it. I've not changed the spark plugs/wires. Any suggestions for improving would be great. My driving habits have not changed so it has me puzzled why the MPG has decreased so much.

Thanks everyone.
MooseAlanche
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

The Moose Is On The Loose

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 12/12/10 01:44 PM »

When you disconnect the battery the computer will reset automatically.
Tune up is recommended at 100K but it couldn't hurt doinhg it at 75K. Have you cleaned your Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor, changed your air filter, added som fuel injector cleaner or seafoam to the gas. These will all help with the gas mileage. And make sure the tire pressure is adequate. Have you changed the brand of gas you have been using?

Pete
05 Black Avalanche 5.3L, Z71, Cladded, Chrome Brush Bar, Speed Grille, SS Nerf Bars, Fire & Ice Tailgate LED, Lund Bug Shield, Putco Tailgate Handle Cover, K&N #77 Cold Air Intake, PowerAid TBS, MagnaFlow SS CatBack. Since Joining CAFC: Amber FTDRL, LED Sail Panel Lights, Amber LED Grille Lights, Door Pocket LED's, Mag Lite, 3rd Brake & Tailgate Decals, Cargo Light, Billet Gas Door, Tailgate Cup Holders, Backup Cam, I Pod2car, WoLo Horn, PlasmaGlow Xeon Bulbs, Window Tint, Tailgate E-Z Up, HyperTech
arneycl

2005 Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 12/12/10 02:47 PM »

It doesn't have to be disconnected for any certain amount of time?

I haven't cleaned the MAF Sensor. I had never heard of doing that until today. I don't even know where it is located. Pic or good description would be great. What do you clean it with?

I have a new air filter and I have added Seafoam to the gas.

Haven't changed the brand of gas.

I also have new tires.
MooseAlanche

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 12/12/10 03:12 PM »

If the battery was disconnected for 10 minutes it should reset the computer.
You can read about cleaning the MAF in this thread:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,92317.msg1868122.html#msg1868122

It will show you where it is and what to use to clean it. Just read through the entire thread  Thumbs up!

Pete
05 Black Avalanche 5.3L, Z71, Cladded, Chrome Brush Bar, Speed Grille, SS Nerf Bars, Fire & Ice Tailgate LED, Lund Bug Shield, Putco Tailgate Handle Cover, K&N #77 Cold Air Intake, PowerAid TBS, MagnaFlow SS CatBack. Since Joining CAFC: Amber FTDRL, LED Sail Panel Lights, Amber LED Grille Lights, Door Pocket LED's, Mag Lite, 3rd Brake & Tailgate Decals, Cargo Light, Billet Gas Door, Tailgate Cup Holders, Backup Cam, I Pod2car, WoLo Horn, PlasmaGlow Xeon Bulbs, Window Tint, Tailgate E-Z Up, HyperTech
JVZL1
CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member

Looking For A Crew Cab Pick UP Drove An AVY

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 12/12/10 03:36 PM »

Chevrolet Avalanche Maintenance & Care; Chevrolet Avalanche Problems, Questions & Answers; Start here and if you can't find specifics what you are looking for there or search ask for guidance like you have. As you can see you can't find better people to get help from then the members at CAFC.   
This my first computerized and injected vehicle with CAFC I have saved a lot of money not having to use a shop. 
My Welcome! to the club.
look out for the  mod virus
JV

'03 Z71 Dark Gray Cladded
Bug Visor,Floormats;Full Time Amber DRL's; Rear Head Rest Mod; INJEN Tuned Air Intake;MSD wires;ALL ON HIGH;Grippin Billet tailgate handle Magnum black;EBC Brakes;RS9000XL Shocks;Moog Steering Stabilizer;HP Tune From Superwagon;Dual Batteries;Painless 40120 Digital Power Manager; FF Dynamics Electric Fans; DynoMax VT;
JV
Wazbro

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 12/12/10 05:09 PM »

One thing that could be causing your drop in mileage might be your brand of gas changed most gas changed to 10% ethanol in the past 1-3 years (depending on were you live) and that can cost you 1-3mpg. If your vehicle is flex-fuel capable it seems to be toward 3mpg because it switches partway to the E85 tune.
« Last Edit: 12/12/10 05:12 PM by Wazbro » Logged

2008 AV 6.0L LT3 Autoride Blue Granite Metallic
05snopro440

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 12/14/10 03:05 PM »

Might want to check your fuel filter too.

2004 Avalanche Z71 WBH. White w/ charcoal leather, fully loaded including DVD and sunroof. White power bar, 17x8.5" Weld Evo Velocity 6 wheels.
MooseAlanche

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 12/14/10 03:39 PM »

Might want to check your fuel filter too.
Thats easier said than done because on the 05 the fuel filter is on the fuel pump which is in the gas tank. I believe only the 02 had an external fuel filter.

Pete
05snopro440

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 12/14/10 03:40 PM »

Hi guys. First, let me say that I've tried searching this topic but for some reason the search feature isn't working for me. So I appologize if this is on the forum already.

I just put a new battery into my 2005 Avalanche. Do I need to reset the ECU or whatever you call it? If so, how is it done? Can someone point me to the directions on how to do it?

Also, I know there are alot of topics about MPG but I used to get 18 MPG but for the past year and half I've only been getting 16. My Avalanche is a 2005 and it has 75,000 miles on it. I've not changed the spark plugs/wires. Any suggestions for improving would be great. My driving habits have not changed so it has me puzzled why the MPG has decreased so much.

Thanks everyone.

You don't need to worry about resetting the ECU when you change the battery. Unless you had a code in the computer or an engine light on it's not necessary.

2004 Avalanche Z71 WBH. White w/ charcoal leather, fully loaded including DVD and sunroof. White power bar, 17x8.5" Weld Evo Velocity 6 wheels.
arneycl

2005 Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 12/16/10 11:01 AM »

Thanks everyone for the info. I will clean the MAF as soon as I can and I will report back on if my MPG has increased. Might be a little difficult though during the Winter time as my wife wants the vehicle warmed up so that sucks the gas.
avalonandl

Pulling 11,000 lbs and Lovin' it

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 12/16/10 12:58 PM »

I think 16 mpg is good- 18 is great. Clean the MAF and use Chevron Techron injector cleaner in a couple taks of gas too.

Avalon

2004- Sport Red 2500, w/ 4.10 axle and stump pulling torque! Flowmaster BB50 w/ oval tips out each side. Xenon lights, Firestone Airbags, amber DRL's. Hypertech tuned for regular fuel. 180  T-stat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: