Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Computer installed in my 02 Avalanche  (Read 53265 times)

Dluvr22

• CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member
Computer installed in my 02 Avalanche
« on: January 10, 2011, 00:16:54 AM »

OK so I love my Avy.
I also love my computers and have to be connected at all times.
Now it is time to merge the two.
I will be detailing my biggest mod to date on my Avy.
It is a never ending project and since I am on a budget, the end looks futher than I care to think about.
So far this is what I've done during what little spare time I have

Hardware:
The Computer

Current Setup
Mo-co-so.com Black Box PCI Mini ITX Case for Carputer Car PC with PCI Slot
Zotac nforce 610i- ITX motherboard
Dual Core Intel Pentium Processor E5300
320 GB Western Digital Hard Drive
M2 - ATX power supply
3GB Ram

Future upgrades :

4GB Ram
Quad core Processor
1TB hard drive
PCIe 1x graphics card

Past iterations
Via M1200 motherboard
Via M1000 motherboard
160 Gb hard Drive
1 Gb of Ram

Peripherals:

12.1 Inch VGA touchscreen monitor
Space Navigator Mouse
2 4 Port Usb hubs
BU - 353 GPS receiver
USB AT&T Aircard
AT&T Mifi 2373
external DVD-RW drive
Mini Wireless Keyboard with built in touchpad

Future Additions:

3G mobile broadband Router
TrackPad
Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor Kit
Park Distance Control Sensor Kit
Relay Kit to control some vehicle functions via the PC

Software:

Windows 7 Ultimate
Centrafuse Auto Navigation
Dash Command
Garmin Mobile PC

Audio Setup:

Alpine IDA-X300 ( for my recently stolen iphone)
Alpine Type S speakers in all doors
Alpine 12 disc CD changer

Future Additions:

Alpine amplifier(s)
Alpine subwoofer(s)
Alpine In Dash DVD monitor

and the list goes on.........

All of this is now protected by a viper responder alarm that includeds a Whelen 6 strobes kit ( 90 watt strobe bulbs) and a 100 watt police siren.

Thank You

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:41:33 AM by Dluvr22 »
2002 Chevy Avalanche Z-71
Computer installed in vehicle. Rancho 9000 with MyRide controller. Krylon fusion on cladding. K&N intake. Dual battery mod to be completed soon............
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,124979.0.html

Dluvr22

Re: Computer installed in my 02 Avalanche
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 00:21:11 AM »

The Truck:
Not much in the way of exterior mods yet but that will change soon. I intend to remedy that a bit this summer

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:42:29 AM by Dluvr22 »
Computer installed in vehicle. Rancho 9000 with MyRide controller. Krylon fusion on cladding. K&N intake. Dual battery mod to be completed soon............

Dluvr22

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 00:29:28 AM »

To start off we go to the screen:

I didn't have my camera when I was putting it together - In fact I was sitting at work thinking of how I was going to get it mounted in my dash when an idea popped into my head. My goal is to have it installed in the dash but funds are in short supply right now. So I came across a temporary solution and I had to give it a shot so on my lunch hour at work I made a trip to Home Depot, got some black gloss paint a piece of wood, a saw and some screws and got to work.

Basically I pulled apart the factory radio and unscrewed the bottom of the chassis off because the radio mounting brackets was built into it.
I then cut the piece of wood to size and using the factory holes bolted it to the radio chassis. Afterwards I spay painted a first  coat of black paint on the new wood face. This would install into the factory radio location without a hitch. All of this was done during lunch. Later I sneaked out at every opportunity to paint a second third and fourth coat.

After it dried completely I took the Screen apart and drilled 2 holes in the backplate and through the wood face . I then mounted the backplate of the monitor to the wood with some spacers and added the factor bezel as the monitor was in front of the bezel and the radio behind. I then screwed the monitor together as soon as all was done. It took a lot of finesse to get the factory pieces to clip back in place with the bezel as one unit.

After all was done , It looked nice enough and it is very sturdy plus the added advantage that it will not be easy to steal. My one fear is that it looks tempting enough so that someone may break my windows but they will get a nasty surprise when they realize it cannot be unscrewed easily. Only caveat is that I'll have a broken window. Between that and the alarm with the police sirens , I don't think it is going anywhere.

I hope

Shot of my screen.
This is not a clear as i would like the pics to be so I"ll retake them and post when i can

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 06:27:23 AM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 00:46:30 AM »

As you can see I have moved the Alpine head unit  down a bit. I wasn't so sure of cutting into my console but it worked out nicely

And my CD changer

As You can see from my previous pic, I installed my audio head unit below the dash in part of my center console. I choose to go this route rather than have the computer as my only audio source for multiple reasons.
First I like t have options available to me (you will see more of that in my build)
I want to be able to play tunes from my PC. I also want to be able to have the capability of other audio sources as well. I wanted to still be able to play radio - although I hardly ever do that, play music off my iphone - all of it on CarPC anyway, Play CDs or DVDs - the CarPC can do both as well as play music from a USB stick. While the PC can do all of this, I did not want to saddle it with everything. Also knowing windows and its penchant for shutting down or freezing at the wrong time, I did not want to burden my CarPC unnecessarily.

The Alpine IDA-X300 supports my Iphone directly. I just ran a USB cable from my Iphone to the head unit and it plays my music files. It also plays music from a usb stick. In addition , I can stream Pandora from my Iphone directly to my car speakers. Also I have tried a couple of the navigation software out there and they all stream to my head unit from my Iphone. I particularly like the AT&T Navigator for a couple of reasons, It gives me live traffic as well as takes up less space on my Iphone. I should add that I use the Iphone video out feature to output video to my screen. While the video quality by no means compares to an ipad, I still have a larger image.

My Iphone also has a data only sim from AT&T with the grandfathered unlimited data plan so I use it for nothing else but to play music, video and secondary navigation in my car. The CarPC will be primary. Again as I stated earlier I love to have options so if I can make dual options for everything, I will go that route.

Lastly I added a 12 disc CD Changer to the mix. This way say I am burning a CD or DVD using the RW drive and doing something else on the Iphone, I can still listen to a CD. If a friend gets into my car and say hey lets listen to this CD, I can just pop it in the changer and call it a day.

Or when a certain lady friend happens to borrow my car (hardly ever happens) she can listen to the radio or a CD when she's having problems with it even though it is the most user friendly interface I can come up with.

This also frees up some buttons for me on my front end as I do not need radio or satellite radio on my front end and lastly as a redundancy measure, If I decide to take the CarPC out (I'll be doing a lot of that) for tweaks or upgrades I will still have tunes in my truck.

I will also upgrade the head unit in the future to another Alpine unit with a flip up screen to get more features. Alas my audio system is not complete as I do not have amps or subwoofers yet. That has been held up due to funds as well as the fact that I want to take my time and get this build done right as space for subwoofers, the computer, CD changer and Amps is hard to find in this vehicle.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 06:29:39 AM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 00:54:49 AM »

The CPU

The CPU has been through a number of changes. They way I see it, it will be constantly evolving.
I originally started off with a VIA M10000 Mini-ITX motherboard. I went through 2 of these and they just stopped working. I have never figured out why. I then upgraded to the Via M12000 motherboard. After I installed it, I decided I wanted to use windows 7 instead of windows XP. I installed Windows 7 and was extremely disappointed with the performance. I had yet to install any programs on the CPU and it was already running slow. Took forever to open anything in windows 7.

Old Setup

VIA M1200 MB

Bench testing

At this point, I had already been looking into getting something with an Atom processor. After further investigation I decided why not go with a Dual or Quad core processor and then I won't have to worry about major upgrades for a while. With that in mind, I took the plunge and bought a new motherboard and processor combo. My only concern was that it should take a DIMM module as I have a lot of those knocking around from my other computer projects and I am on a budget. It also needed to have a built in VGA port as DVI monitors in the size I wanted were just not available. Now that I think of it and I plan on having a second monitor, I should have gotten a mobo with both a VGA and DVI connector and just get a DVI to VGA adaptor for the DVI output. Oh Well. Anyway I have to work with what I got. The Zotac nforce 610i-ITX is a great board. My only gripe is that it has one video output. I want to add a graphics card to the set up since my case has a slot. Unfortunately This board has PCIe 1x. I managed to find a PCIe 1x graphics card however I cannot find a PCIe 1x flexible riser. The only ones I have come across on Ebay are all located in China.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 06:54:55 AM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 05:24:45 AM »

Current Setup

My Desk @ Work

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 06:57:54 AM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 10:17:56 AM »

Peripherals:

As far as peripherals go I have not purchased all that I want to add to this build. But with proper planning I hope to have a minimum of re wiring as I add on more pieces to my build.

Space Navigator 3D Connexion mouse
I was lucky enough to get this at a reasonable price off ebay. My plan is to use it as a secondary input for controlling the Car PC. so far it works ok but there are a few things I need to work out. It works well enough in Windows using the RBC 9 drivers however I am having issue getting it to work with my front end of choice. I use Centrafuse as my front end. I never tested Ride Runner so I cannot say why I favor Centrafuse over it. It just happen to win the luck of the draw.
I am please with the mouse as it is so far so I have not really bothered to get it working in Centrafuse 3.1. when I get to the phase where the major stuff is done and I have to iron out all the bugs, then I'll worry about it.

I installed it in the center console and I must say I am very pleased with the way it turned out.
There is very little wiring to be seen. I had to cut the usb cable off the mouse and run the cable through the center console. After doing that I resoldered it back together. It looks nice now and well worth the effort but if you are afraid of taking stuff apart then ...........

Close up showing the wiring into the center console

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 06:58:57 AM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 14:39:45 PM »

GPS

For my GPS, I toyed with the idea of using the Onstar hack for the GPS module that came built in the car. After all now that Onstar has gone digital, the analog hardware in my vehicle is now obsolete. I do not use my Onstar. Besides even if I wanted the cost of all new hardware that will not give me the full functions that are available to newer vehicles did not justify the cost. I want my install to look as close to stock as possible when all is said and done. I know it is a contradiction with a 12 in screen, but in my wild dreams it is possible - that is after I get the screen installed in the dash. I was worried about the work involved with the stock GPS and converting to usb for the computer. I also read some good reviews on the GlobalSat BU -353 and after a lot of thought I decided to use that instead as it was tried and proven with Garmin Mobile PC whereas I did not know if the Onstar hack would work. At first, I chose to mount the BU-353 outside the vehicle. On any other vehicle that would have been a feat to accomplish but with the Avalance with body cladding, It is a whole lot easier in my opinion. This worked for a couple of months but one day it just died on me.

I took the GPSS unit apart and found out the hard way that it is not as watertight as the manufacturer suggests. So I shelled out cash for a new one that is now mounted inside the truck.This time I installed it on dashboard where it still gets a line of sight. All in all I still get the same reception as well as fast GPS lock times as when it was outside so I am not missing much

GPS

Old GPS Install

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 06:59:39 AM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 16:28:47 PM »

Keyboard

Now for the keyboard had certain requirements. First it had to be wireless. It also had to look not so much out of place in the vehicle. It also had to be easy to use.
After a lot of searching and research I settled with this little gem.

The Magic Pro Mini Keyboard

In addition to having my basic feature set, it has other features that make it even better suited to my needs. As you can see it also includes a touch pad. That gives me another control option besides the mouse and the touchscreen. Among other notable features are the easy multimedia buttons that are integrated.  I have had occasion to use it to to increase and decrease the volume at times. Honestly though that is just a novelty because it is easier to just turn the volume control on the radio. What I do love though is the 1 key for "CTRL+ALT+DEL". As with any computer out there there are time when you have to use that combination and the car PC is no exception. An now the final feature set that sold me is the Illuminated keys. There are other features as well ( laser pointer etc), but these are the ones that I use.

Keyboard and mouse in the center console

Keyboard with illumination

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:00:28 AM by Dluvr22 »

ms38w

• I AM the Scorpion
    • Scorpion Cigar Reviews
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 04:16:41 AM »

:thumbsup: very nice, although it defeats the midgate...but if you don't use it, no big deal, right?  Does the screen swivel/tilt or is it fixed?  The only thing I would change is to make it retractable.
<br />\\\\\\\'02 1500 Z71, with a few mods...<br />408 Stroker, H2 rear end, 6-speed manual,side pipes, shorty headers,8-lug wheels, 1-ton T-case, custom drive shafts.

Dluvr22

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 09:16:18 AM »

Internet Access

Now another thing that is important for me is internet access. To make this different from all the high end head units and the new OEM ones coming out from Ford and others is internet. This opens a whole new world as far as programs I can run from the car. As I said this has to be better than the high end units out there.
For this I chose the AT&T Mifi wireless router.
For those who may think why this router?
Why AT&T at all?
All I can say is to each his own.
I am not here to advertise for them or anyone else for that matter but I chose this device because it is free.
I have an AT&T data only sim card that gives me unlimited access to the internet.  I got this before AT&T imposed the 5GB limits to their sims so I am not hindered by that limit. Also this is a corporate sim and I have other corporate devices that I use for work. So guess who gets the bil. All I can say is it is not me.

Internet connected apps include:
Web Access via browser
Hulu Desktop
Pandora Radio
Slacker Radio
NetflixOpentable - Reserve a table at some of the local restaurants
Garmin Mobile PC. - With Garmin Mobile PC, I can check flight departure and arrival times, search for fuel stations by price,etc
App to look up the weather
App for Google maps with traffic
Twitter
App to download and read my email through the car speakers as well as allow access to respond to email if I chose to.
Also I am currently working on a way to download and integrate into Garmin to warn of traffic camera like the AT&T Navigator on my Iphone4.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:01:16 AM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 10:10:43 AM »

OBD

What is the point of having a computer in the car if every feature that you have can be done by a after market high end head unit?
I cannot justify building a computer for my truck and it only does what most after market high end units do nowadays. I want my setup to do a lot more and so I will keep on pushing the envelop and adding new stuff even when this initial build is done.
With this in mind, I decided that I needed to add on-board diagnostics among other things to my setup. One reason is for the fact that I like to know what my engine is doing and I'd like a bit more information than what the gauges in the cluster and other info systems in the car provides. Another reason is so my boys who ask" Why do you do it will have a lot of answers to justify why. I'll simply ask. Can your head unit do this? and this? or that?
Here is my OBD Setup:

USB OBD Scantool

First thing I needed to do was turn my OBD port in the vehicle around. If I did not do this, the OBD connector would be sticking out from under the dash and that would look very unprofessional. After a lot of persuasion, I managed to get the mount for the OBD port at the right angle under the dash to plug my cable.
This is what it looks like now

OBD Unit connected and tucked away behind the center console.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:02:52 AM by Dluvr22 »

ms38w

• I AM the Scorpion
    • Scorpion Cigar Reviews
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 03:35:31 AM »

someone here did a nice write up  on installing a screen there and moved their a/c controls.  It looked factory when they were done.
<br />\\\\\\\'02 1500 Z71, with a few mods...<br />408 Stroker, H2 rear end, 6-speed manual,side pipes, shorty headers,8-lug wheels, 1-ton T-case, custom drive shafts.

Dluvr22

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 09:11:45 AM »

After connecting the OBD Link, I reached my first unexpected set back. Well not totally unexpected but a setback just the same. When driving with my test laptop and using the OBD Link I get the annoying ground noise in my radio . The moment I disconnect the usb cable the noise goes away. This leaves me to the point where, from prior experience I know I need a ground loop isolator. Easy right, but not in my case. I wanted to get the ground loop as close to the source as possible so as to prevent it from affecting other systems this means between the laptop/carpc and the head unit not between the head unit and amps. I suspect I will need another at that point but i'll cross that bride when I get to it. My problem was that they do not make or I cannot find a ground loop isolator for the 3.5 mm jack that comes out of the computer. I have to make my own or get a lot of connectors and adapters to convert from 3.5 mm to RCA and back again. I decided to go with the former.

Here is what I did.
I purchased a ground loop isolator and took it apart. No return policy if this doesn't work.
I also got a 3.5 mm to RCA cable. I cut that to the length I wanted so as not to have a mess of wires in the car and soldered the cable on the ground loop isolator. Went out to the car plugged it in, plugged in my usb to the OBD Link start up the car and the whine is gone. I drove around and there is absolutely no whine at all.

Finished Product

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:10:36 AM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 19:37:21 PM »

Install Pics

CPU and CD Changer screwed into the backs of the folded seats

Wiring made easy. It may look easy and streamlined now but believe me it took a lot of work to get it looking like this

1.5 Farad Capacitor
This will be to help with power issues for the Alpine Amp I'll be adding soon.

USB Hub in the center console

USB Hub when powered on

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:12:14 AM by Dluvr22 »

ms38w

• I AM the Scorpion
    • Scorpion Cigar Reviews
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 04:00:51 AM »

bad link

Dluvr22

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 22:33:02 PM »

Now some images of the working setup:

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:14:01 AM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 02:55:09 AM »

Incoming Call.
 :beating: Please don't call her guys. I left the number there so you know what it looks like.  :beating:

GPS with an active call in progress

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:15:13 AM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 02:58:50 AM »

Touch screen dialing..............

Browsing the web..................

More Web Browsing....................

On Screen Keyboard

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:16:43 AM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 03:00:50 AM »

Weather Info

Twitter

Engine Diagnostics

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:21:44 AM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, 03:03:11 AM »

The Avalanche is not a vehicle for hypermiling but this sure helps save some gas on those weeks I am broke.

I have since changed the theme to the one that is up in the pics of the monitor.
I will update with pics of the new theme shortly

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:25:40 AM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 03:04:13 AM »

This really blows.
Garmin just announced that they will no longer carry the Garmin Mobile PC software I use in my vehicle for navigation. At least they released map updates for 2011.
Guess I have to start looking for a new navigation software to integrate into my vehicle.

Requirement:

Must be touchscreen friendly on a PC.
Must not be dying
If possible list speed cameras in the POI database

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:27:00 AM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:28:30 AM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2011, 05:38:37 AM »

UPDATE: In the past few months I've done a little bit of work on the carputer but have been focused mostly on the exterior.

As for the CarPC I have upgraded the motherboard to the Zotac NForce 9300 ITX with wifi and that's it.
New mobo does have HDMI out as well as VGA so I am now looking into the possibility of an HDMI touchscreen monitor if I can find a 12 ft HDMI cable.

I have added microphone for voice command and control. It is not working 100%  yet but it is getting there.
I have also added 4 usb ports to the cpu for the extra devices that i am adding to this install

To the exterior of the truck I have done much much more.

I have repainted all the gray cladding on the truck as it was starting to fade like a few other here.
On a whim I also decided one weekend to paint the rims as well since a new set of rims are stillabove my budget.
I did all the work myself and being the perfectionist I am I must say I am happy with the results.
I also had the headlights tinted. Originally I had planned on having smoked aftermarket taillights but some jerk tried to steal them.
Now I have just tinted the new set of aftermaket lights so they look like tinted stock taillights until they turn on.

Here are some shots:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:29:13 AM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2011, 06:03:35 AM »

Dirty streets I know.
At least my car is one clean thing there at the time LOL.

These shots were taken before I decided to paint the rims.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:30:00 AM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2011, 06:51:09 AM »

These are pics after I decided on a whim to paint the rims black.
I don't know how this will stand the test of time but for now they came out a lot better than I expected.
For those interested I painted the rims with duplicolor shadow paint.
This is not the actual effect it should have but I have to say it does look OK.
If these were actual chrome rims, and I was looking for a shadow effect and not a blacked out look , I'd be really ****ed.
If you are looking for a shadow on your rims like this is advertised to do, I'll tell you now do not apply it to your rims.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:30:54 AM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 06:52:07 AM »

UPDATE: Paint did not last.

Part of it is from my doing the other is the idiots at Sears.
I took my car to have my tires rebalanced after rotating and I specifically told the guy at the counter that I would perfer that they not use the clip on weights rather they should use the adhesive version that are normally used on aftermarket wheels.
This must have gone through one ear and out the other because I got my car back with the stupid clip on weights which ruined the paint where it was stuck on.
To make matters worse the balancing machine must have had something sticking out of it and touching the rim as I now have a scratched circle in the middle of all four rims where as it was rotating this object scratched all four rims.
I did not notice this because they dropped the car off at work for me since I work next door and dropped it off during lunch hour.
When I took it back to complain the manger had the nerves to tell me that it did not happen there.
Like I could have scratched all four rims in a circular pattern while driving back there.
This really totally ****ed me off.
Never again will I take my car to Sears as this is the second time they have done shoddy work on my vehicle.
I only take it there because it was close to work and I could just drop it off and pick it up later without much inconvenience.
The convenience is definitely not worth the trouble.

For my part, I messed up my two front wheels a bit more when I accidentally sprayed brake cleaner on the wheel to get rid of the brake dust but forgot to wash off immediately.
When I finally got around to washing it , it had etched into the paint messing it up some.
From a distance you can hardly notice it but I know it is there and it irks me.

Guess I will either repaint next summer as I plan to use the factory rims and tires during the winter months and get some after market wheels put on later or take it to some shop to gt it painted professionally.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:31:45 AM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2011, 06:53:10 AM »

Audio

So many things to do and not enough time or money to get them done as fast as I want.

I decided that now will be a good time as any to upgrade my audio system to compliment the computer.

I scored a sweet deal on 2 sets of Focal VRS component speakers for the doors a few days ago.
I plan on adding some sound deadening material to the doors to get the best out of these.
At approximately $500 a pair retail, these are supposed to be great speakers so I do not plan on skimping on the rest of the stuff to connect them.

Last night I took the door panels off my car to install the speakers.
Here are some pics of my panels before speaker install.

My original plan was to install the tweeter for the front doors behind the side mirror housing. However as you all know in the case of the 02 Avalanche and some other GM trucks the driver side dash completely blocks it.
I am no sound guru but I had previously put tweeters in the A-Pillar of another vehicle I owned in the past and I should say I was less than happy with the results.
For one thing it was sticking out and became an eyesore for me. Another issue I had was that I could practically hear the tweeter separately from the mid-range and it was so annoying I had to turn the treble down just to try to enjoy my music.
I was not sure how this would sound and I definitely did not want a repeat performance so I resulted to installing the tweeter in the door panels
The factory tweeter is right next to the mid-range speaker in their setup.
I therefore decided to mount mine as close as possible to the factory location to retain the imaging.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:32:23 AM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2011, 06:53:54 AM »

more updates on the audio to come as it gets completed !!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:32:43 AM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2011, 07:23:37 AM »

:thumbsup: very nice, although it defeats the midgate...but if you don't use it, no big deal, right?  Does the screen swivel/tilt or is it fixed?  The only thing I would change is to make it retractable.

Yes the mid-gate no longer lays flat.
I considered putting it under the seat but I am putting sub woofers there. Haven't decided whether I want a 1 or 2 speaker set up yet.
If I go with 1 speaker the CPU can go under the seat and the mid-gate lays flat but the CD changer will cause it to lift just a little. Come to think of it, a sub woofer under the seat will also cause it not to fold flat.
I don't use the mid-gate much but I have had to in the past. Guess I will decide later .

As for the screen it is mounted there and does not fold or retract. I plan on having the screen put into the dash and I'll relocate the A\C controls to the little cubby where the map lights are located if possible.
Any good fabricators on here who can take on the project of putting that LCD in the dash?
I checked the measurements and it fits minus the case that it is currently in.

Dluvr22

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2011, 07:33:43 AM »

Off-road lights HID conversion

Ok so I am planning on adding a bull bar in the very near future with a set of offroad lights.
Since all the lights on by car are LEDs and 8000K HIDs. I decided that I want my Off road lights to be HIDs as well.
HID off road lights are over $120 per light and since I need 2 they will be over $240.00.
LED Off road lights are less expensive - somewhere in the range of $100.00 a set.
However since I already had a spare set of 8000k HID bulbs lying around I decided to go that route instead, hence the birth of my project.

Parts:
8000K HID Offroad light kit - Knocking around probably cost me $50.00
KC HiLites Daylighters - $104.00
HID extension cables - $20.00

Tools:
Blade
Solder
Soldering Iron
Screwdriver
Patience
Time on your hands

You may say why the Daylighters as there are cheap knockoffs that can be had for a lot less.
Well I have tried the cheap alternative on my first vehicle as I could not afford Daylighters at the time however they rusted out faster than the time I put into them so I will not waste my time this time around.
also seeing as how the H3 HID bulbs are significantly larger than the halogen versions a smaller or slimmer housing would not do the trick.

Dluvr22

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2011, 07:34:37 AM »

The previous shots show the daylightsers with the regular H3 halogen 100 watt bulbs in them.

Dluvr22

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2011, 07:35:09 AM »

Taking apart the daylighter to replace the H3 halogen with H3 HIDs.

Dluvr22

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2011, 07:36:08 AM »

HID extension cable (5ft long).
These are generally used for motorcycles and other applications where the ballast cannot be installed next to the bulbs because of space limitation.

Comparison between the 2 bulbs. As you can see the glass part of the HID bulb is significantly longer than the halogen.
So is the black part.
As a result there is no way it can be fit into the KC slimlites or and other slim foglights out there.

Dluvr22

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2011, 07:36:44 AM »

HID bulb in place of the Halogen Bulb.
I had to do some trimming of the bulb plastic to get the metal clip to go around it as it is thicker then the halogen bulb.
This is one of the delicate parts of the conversion because if you exert too much pressure and there is a slip you can easily break the bulb.

Here I cut the plugs of the extension cable to thread it through the metal wire loom.
There is no way the plugs will go through.
If you cannot solder or faint of heart do not try this.
The better option actually is to try to open the clips and pull out the metal pins.
After I did the first one, I figured out how to pull the pins out and did not have to solder the rest of the wires.
This option involves a bit more time but it is better as not do not mess with the actual connection to the pins.

To each his own so you can do whichever suits you

Dluvr22

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2011, 07:39:12 AM »

This illustrates the actual bulb installed.
There is not a lot of space between the tip of the bulb and the glass.

Finished install
This still looks like the factory KC HiLites until it comes on.
The extension cables are long enough for me to mount the ballast where the ballast for my fog-lights are located in the front bumper.

Final testing and the beam is awesome.
It is so bright that I definitely cannot drive on the streets with it without pointing it down to the ground a bit.
but If I ever need  flood lights they will be there in a pinch

Just need to get the proper bull bar to install it on.
Please see my poll here:

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,130723.0/viewResults.html

Let me know what you think will work best with the truck.
All opinions are welcome.

redheadedrod

• CAFCNA 2017 Supporting Member
  • 2003 Z71
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2012, 00:38:37 AM »

What are the measurements of this PC case? I am actually looking at getting a very similar setup for my truck. I am debating where to put the computer at this time. I am thinking the center console depending on the side of the unit. If I put this in the center console my intention is to mount it above the BOSE amplifier and cutting up the storage area to make it fit. But I need to know what the side is of the case. I will likely have the cooling fans exhaust to the rear of the console where the rear drink holders are now.

The same case and the M2 power supply a zotac mother board and a i7 processor with 4 or 8 gigs ram and 750 gig HD. Going to install monitors in the dash and console. Will also mount monitors in the head rests and where the rear AV controls are now.

I am looking at building a custom device to replace the HVAC controls. This will use a touch screen mounted in the worthless overhead console.  Probably a 7" or smaller screen.
2003 Cladded Black Z71 - PC installed otherwise mostly stock.
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal
All on high and FTDRL (BCM friendly version)

Dluvr22

« Reply #37 on: July 8, 2012, 11:18:16 AM »

Sorry for the late response.

Here are the case specs:

Dimensions: 10" x 9.25" x 3.125" / 254mm x 235mm x 80mm (L x W x H)
Weight: 1Kg/2.2Lbs
Finish: Anodized Aluminum
Color: Black
Hard Drive Support: 1x 2.5 inch DVD/CD
Drive Support: USB DVD
Power Supply: Not Included.
Case Ventilation: 1x 50 x 50 x 10mm fan 6500RPM 32dB
Mounting Position: Universal

Dluvr22

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2012, 20:00:07 PM »

Here is my latest pic of the Bull Bar install.

Different looks for the Bull Bar

Now back to the car computer install
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 20:46:38 PM by Dluvr22 »

AvyOwner23

• Black On Black
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2012, 23:28:47 PM »

dude, this is sick!!!! your av looks awesome!! keep up the good work! I'm jealous. What do you do to know so much about computers?
2002 Chevy Avalanche Z-71 240,XXX miles and still going strong.
-2 8 inch infinity subs under the rear seats
- Off brand 1100 watt amp, it does its job well
- 6000k Fog/ Driving Lamps
- Amber DRL's
More mods coming

Dluvr22

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2012, 22:54:26 PM »

Nothing special really. Modding my avalanche is one of my great joys. Building regular and custom PCs is also a second hobby. So I figured why not combine the two for a great in car computing experience?
Right now I am working on getting my dash redone and the A/C controls relocated to fit a 12 inch touchscreen in there. I will post pics as soon as I start making progress.
I'm also upgrading the PC to windows 8 and switching to a solid state hard drive as well as a new monitor with HDMI input in the work. A whole new set of pics will be up soon so stay tuned

Dluvr22

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2013, 16:38:28 PM »

So after years of work and many different upgrades and changes, I am now ready to show you you guys what has been finally done with my CarPC build.

The next to last piece of this computer build involved me getting my screen molded into the dash for a factory look.
This involved moving my A/C controls out of the way and building a custom dash bezel.
After years of beating around the bush, I finally worked up the courage to cut apart my dash parts.

Here  is the result:

A/C controls relocated

Rebuilt Bezel:

In the end I painted the Bezel black as the gray just didn't work too well with the LCD in the daytime.

12.1 inch touchscreen monitor test fitted into my dash.

Right now I am running Windows 8 64 bit.
SO far it works just fine altough there are minor bugs that still need to be worked out for me.
In the end I don't use the Windows interface much so...... Oh well.

Dluvr22

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2013, 17:09:13 PM »

More Pics of the dash showing some of the functions.

Screen with Alpine head unit below

Close up of the screen with Windows 8 lock screen.

Another view with Windows 8 start screen.

This setup has a startup/ shutdown controller which I programmed to hibernate the PC automatically 5 minutes after the avalanche is shut off and RAP goes off. The PC gets accessory power directly from my Alpine head unit. In essence it (the headunit) acts as a power button for the CarPC. Turn the head unit off and the CarPC hibernates as well. I originally had it do the sleep thing instead to boot up faster and had my controller providing 5V permanently to keep the PC running in sleep mode however my new Optima RedTop eventually failed me as I started waking up to a dead battery on Monday mornings if I did not drive the whole weekend 4 months later.
Eventually it was every morning I woke up to a dead battery. Turns out the PC consumes more power in sleep mode as it retains all settings in RAM when going to sleep.
Hibernate on the other hand writes the settings to the hard drive then shuts down. I do now experience slightly longer boot times as a result but I'd rather have that than instant on with a dead battery.
As for the screen it also powers off if no HDMI or Video input is available. In addition it powers on automatically ones it gets 12 volts from the truck so I had no need for the buttons on the screen. I did retain the remote so I may switch inputs to my camera or other video devices I may  choose to add in the future.

This is my main men screen.
If you've seen some of my other posts with pics of my Avalanche, you would remember that I have a Transformers theme going on the outside so it made since to use it on the inside as well.
This screen should give you an idea of some of the functions I have.

And here is my settings page
This allows me to go back to windows or tweak other settings

At some point I hope to detail all the apps I am using in the truck.

EDIT:
I just noticed that my Vehicle Infotainment System is running on Pacific Time so it is 3 houurs behind my actual Windows time and my current time zone.
Guess I'll have to go back outside and correct that

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 18:09:13 PM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2013, 17:36:59 PM »

Here is one of my connected apps page.
Later i will add more pics  and pages as I find connected apps i deem useful.
Lets just say with LTE, anything goes. Netflix and Gmail are others that i can think of off the top of my head

Dluvr22

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2013, 18:05:36 PM »

And just when you thought it couldn't get any better, I have more tricks up my sleeve

Yes you are reading right.
Navigation......... well everybody has that nowadays so is traffic so I am not going into details as it is run of the mill stuff.

Traffic Cams.

Yes these are live traffic cam feeds that are being imported directly into the Avalanche and I can select a feed to view it full screen as well as take a snapshot.
Maybe one day I'll take a snapshot of my truck as I go past the field of view of one of them.

Dluvr22

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2013, 18:46:21 PM »

Last but not the least are my digital gauges.
I have the computer hooked up to my OBD II port under the dash as you may know from following this thread.

Here are the pics.

I burrowed the background pic from this forums calender I think some years ago. I hope i am not stepping on anyone's toes by using it this way.
If I am, I apologize and please let me know.

Does this remind you of any vehicle you may want to drive someday?
I chose the Lexus LFA gauge style because it looks really nice and is along the same lines as my Alpine head unit display.

Dluvr22

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2013, 18:54:39 PM »

More pics:

From the diagnostics icon, i have the ability to read engine codes on the fly and reset the check engine light after repairs.
This comes in really handy as once or twice I have gotten the blinking check engine light but it stops the moment you shut off the truck so if you don't have to stop and go looking for your OBD scanner wherever you may have left it. That happened to me in the past and when I got the scanner to check, the code had already cleared.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 18:05:47 PM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2013, 18:58:18 PM »

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 18:07:57 PM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2013, 19:03:18 PM »

Same gauges.
Only this time it is in race mode.
LOL I get a kick out of that is the Avalanche is no race car.

I am considering rewriting the skin to have the gauges top out at 6000 rpm as our trucks don't ever go up to 10,000. This way I will also see more movement of the needle

Dluvr22

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2013, 19:16:28 PM »

Here's a quick video I made of the gauges in action today.

http://youtu.be/vug6Jm-zT9k
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 18:30:40 PM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2013, 19:41:24 PM »

Today I also put  my summer sneakers on my Avalanche...
All in all its been a busy weekend

Schelbi

• CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator
  • 2002 Chevy Avalanche 1500 Z71 in Germany
    • www.xlv750.de
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2013, 23:27:35 PM »

:thumbsup: Wow, good work!
Black 2002 Avalanche 1500 Z71. Mods: running on Propan (LPG), backup cam, black bowtie, removed Onstar, Diablo Predator tune, Comp cam, amber rear turn signal in place of backup lights, new LED backup lights and rear fog lights in bumper, Samsung 7" Galaxy Tab holder, CB Radio, 3'' body lift, 6" Skyjacker suspension lift, 37x12.5R17 BFG MTs on AZEV rims, Realift torsion bar relocators, removed rear bumper cover.....

ARMYtango

• Drink water and Drive on!
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2013, 06:14:53 AM »

These are pics after I decided on a whim to paint the rims black.
I don't know how this will stand the test of time but for now they came out a lot better than I expected.
For those interested I painted the rims with duplicolor shadow paint.
This is not the actual effect it should have but I have to say it does look OK.
If these were actual chrome rims, and I was looking for a shadow effect and not a blacked out look , I'd be really ****ed.
If you are looking for a shadow on your rims like this is advertised to do, I'll tell you now do not apply it to your rims.

Ok...I was JUST talking to my wife the other day about PlastiDipping my rims...but I was going to do it the EXACT opposite way...with all the parts that you have as stock color, being plastidipped.....

I think I like it this way better!   Thanks for the pic!   :thumbsup:
'04 Z66 WBH, AVS bug shield, AVS rain guards, BOSE sound system w/6-disk CD changer, 6 On-high, Sequential Bully fire strip, Amber DRL's, tinted SONAR Euro tails, Flowmaster 40 Dual Exhaust, K&N CAI, dual pillar gauge w/ GlowShift 7-color Trans Temp Gauge, low beam 6k HIDs, blue interior LEDs, LED plate lights, LED puddle lights, Halo/Projector headlights, Sail Panel LEDs, rear airbags, Aries bull bar

Dluvr22

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2013, 06:45:56 AM »

Actually it came out that way purely by mistake.
I purchased the Duplicolor Shadow paint to put a very light coat on the section that you now see looking dark.
To do so I taped off the inner pieces.
After the first and second coat of shadow it came out with a greenish hue so I kept on adding more coats until it got darker.
Being that I had never painted my rims before, When I went to remover the tape, the thick coat of paint presented problems and I did not have a smooth line between the 2 sections. So to fix I just sprayed a lighter coat on afterward to kinda even out the color.
In the end it came out good but the shadow paint does not actually create a shadow.

Another word of caution. I did not remember which tire came off which side of the truck so when I put them back on, the truck started wobbling at speeds.  Actually I think the thick coat of paint somehow affected the balancing. I took it in to Sears to get the tires re-balanced and the idiots not only put the weights on the outside of the rim causing damage to the paint, but they also scratched a circular pattern through all four wheels where something on the balancing machine must have touched the wheels.
I think all wheels should be balanced on the inside if you ask me - painted or not as those weights do detract from the smooth lines of any wheel.

ARMYtango

• Drink water and Drive on!
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2013, 06:53:06 AM »

Another word of caution. I did not remember which tire came off which side of the truck so when I put them back on, the truck started wobbling at speeds.  Actually I think the thick coat of paint somehow affected the balancing. I took it in to Sears to get the tires re-balanced and the idiots not only put the weights on the outside of the rim causing damage to the paint, but they also scratched a circular pattern through all four wheels where something on the balancing machine must have touched the wheels.
I think all wheels should be balanced on the inside if you ask me - painted or not as those weights do detract from the smooth lines of any wheel.

I read about that unfortunate incident.....what morons to deny that they did it.

I agree with the stick on weights, and that they should be placed on the inside.

What happened to you is the same reason why I have decided to go with Plastidip...at least when they change a tire, balance, and add/remove the weights, I can always hit it with another spray to fix it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 06:57:58 AM by ARMYtango »
'04 Z66 WBH, AVS bug shield, AVS rain guards, BOSE sound system w/6-disk CD changer, 6 On-high, Sequential Bully fire strip, Amber DRL's, tinted SONAR Euro tails, Flowmaster 40 Dual Exhaust, K&N CAI, dual pillar gauge w/ GlowShift 7-color Trans Temp Gauge, low beam 6k HIDs, blue interior LEDs, LED plate lights, LED puddle lights, Halo/Projector headlights, Sail Panel LEDs, rear airbags, Aries bull bar

Tugboatscotty

• Good, Bad....Im the guy with the gun
« Reply #55 on: March 7, 2013, 17:29:48 PM »

What screen did you use?
A Government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have!

02 Z66

Dluvr22

« Reply #56 on: March 8, 2013, 10:03:25 AM »

Lilliput 12.1 inch touchscreen in the MP3Car store

Tugboatscotty

« Reply #57 on: March 9, 2013, 04:29:14 AM »

did you use an open frame one or one with the frame on it?
A Government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have!

02 Z66

Dluvr22

« Reply #58 on: March 9, 2013, 07:14:16 AM »

It's open frame. It's also the version with the HDMI, DVI,and VGA connection.
I could not find one within a frame that has a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Tugboatscotty

« Reply #59 on: March 9, 2013, 07:27:45 AM »

thanks. Im going to look into maybe using a 7" I love the idea of moving the a/c controls but im not sure if that is something i want to get into

02 Z66

Dluvr22

« Reply #60 on: March 9, 2013, 13:00:36 PM »

Yes It involves a lot of work to go larger than 7 inches as you will have to do major modification for that to happen.  All the best with the route you choose to take.

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2013, 15:27:25 PM »

I am thinking of plasti dipping my factory rims too.. See how they look black.

I am looking at using flat black bed liner on the lower plastic and on the bed covers then smooth out the rest and go with gloss black. Although I am also thinking of getting the third brake light from an escalade or later model avalanche.

Do like how your truck looks though. Mine is all black.
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

07HrlyHlr

• HE'S BACK!!!
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2013, 16:42:53 PM »

WOW man this is amazing! I wish I had the courage or should I say cojones to try this!  :o
2007 Burnt Orange LT...No mods yet...

Had to sell her and some a$$hole trashed her! 2005 Z71 4x4 10 or so mods and LOTS of paint matching! Clear headlights, Harley Davidson emblems chrome Avalanche on rear and chrome tailgate handle chrome bow tie and of course You cant lose with 22's!

Dluvr22

« Reply #63 on: August 5, 2013, 09:25:37 AM »

Wow it's been a while since I posted in this thread.
Not a lot of changes to the CarPC as it has been running fine for a while.

I did however upgrade to LTE in the truck.
Now I can browse faster and stream netfilx, hulu of yahoo without any interruptions.

Working on adding multi-touch to my setup since I've upgraded to windows 8.

Another project I've been working on which I did not post here is the integration of cameras in the truck.
Here are some pics  show what's being done.

LTE

A bit of Hulu to pass the time

Rearview camera

Rear View Camera Image

Side Cameras

One of the side cameras image

Front Camera mounted to rear view mirror mount

Video of front camera recording to CPU
http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/443/wc8nunzsbmkdcicnaojblq.mp4/

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #64 on: August 5, 2013, 12:58:47 PM »

How is the multi-touch project coming?

Also looking at your pictures here it looks like that 12" would definitely NOT work in the center console where you have your radio. Can build a custom box for it but if I am looking at your pictures right it looks like the custom box would hang out about an inch on each side of the console. Is that about what you would expect?

I may decide to mount 10" screens in mine to get the multi-touch...

Rodney
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

ohgary

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
« Reply #65 on: August 7, 2013, 19:25:26 PM »

You have any detals on moving your AC controls? Is it just extending the electronic cables?
2002 Forest Green Z71

Dluvr22

« Reply #66 on: August 8, 2013, 06:43:34 AM »

How is the multi-touch project coming?

Also looking at your pictures here it looks like that 12" would definitely NOT work in the center console where you have your radio. Can build a custom box for it but if I am looking at your pictures right it looks like the custom box would hang out about an inch on each side of the console. Is that about what you would expect?

I may decide to mount 10" screens in mine to get the multi-touch...

Rodney

Still waiting patiently for parts to arrive. Ordered 2 new multi-touch track pads. 1 also doubles as a keyboard. Going to try it out and see.
Also thinking of adding two Android Mini PC to monitors in the headrest instead of doing multiple zones on the PC that works from the front.
I am still a die hard Windows fan for my main unit as I think it will take a long time to get all the functionality I have with Linux or Android .
Besides I am not so good at Linux OS yet.

I do envy the stability of Linux Distros though although I have not had any major issues with my windows install yet.

Dluvr22

« Reply #67 on: August 8, 2013, 06:45:27 AM »

You have any detals on moving your AC controls? Is it just extending the electronic cables?
Oh Gary.
I really thought I'd posted more details on that here.
I'm going to look around and add that info shortly

Dluvr22

« Reply #68 on: August 8, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »

Here are a few more details of the actual mod to move the A/C controls

Here is the original A/C controls before I started cutting away pieces of it.

Here is one at the start of shaping the overhead console.
What I did not take a pic of was me cutting in to the original overhead console.
It is too small for the A/C controls to fit in
I covered the A/C control faceplate with foil so it does not get stuck in to the mold.

I also considered using the overhead console and controls from an Escalade or Youkon however those do not have all the full functions needed so they don't work.
What I mean is the overhead console in those vehicles do not have the lower buttons for Vent, recirculate, A/C and rear defroster as they are in the main control unit in the dash.

After initial sanding with 40 grit sandpaper.
It is here I realized that I needed a frame around the controls or I'd be seeing gaps between the A/C controls and the console.

Frame added around the A/C controls and more sanding with 180 grit sandpaper.
That was followed by even more sanding with finer grit to get it as smooth as possible

This part is not for the faint of heart.
Here I butchered my A/C controls to make it fit with the contour of the console.
I did this because the right angled edges in an otherwise curved console did not sit well with me.

Finished Piece with the garage opener, map lights and an extra switch for my fog lights.

Finished piece with A/C controls installed

Here I was a bit busy so I did not have time to take more pics other than the finished wiring

A lot of wires extended........ 32 in all.
This was also very hard. This was partly due to the fact that it was the middle of winter and my garage is not heated and the fact that this was a one off deal and I had no prior experiences to follow.
Initially I measured the length of wires needed to get from the overhead console, down the A- pillar and through the dash to the original connector.
I then added a few extra inches to be safe.
Next I cut 1 wire at a time and soldered the extended wire in place so as to be certain I was not crisscrossing wires as the color coding does not help.
There are some duplicate colors in the wires. I also kept my mult-imeter closer by for continuity testing if needed and in the event I did manage to do something stupid.
After getting everything connected and heat shrink-ed to prevent a short I moved on to running the wire up to the overhead console.
Unfortunately that did not work out so well as with that many wires and the size of the connector I could not fish it through the dash.

This meant I had to take everything apart again, run the wires through the headliner, A- Pillar and the dash before soldering.
This took me all of Saturday and Sunday in the middle of last winter to Solder and heat shrink 32 wires, de-solder them after my mistake and re-solder everything again.
This comes up to a grand total of 192 solder joints . Whew.............

I am not saying this to scare anyone away but rather to guide you so as not to make the same mistake I did.

This is where the console should be after all is said and done.
The extra red and green wires are for the fog lights as mentioned previously.

As for the paint, I don't remember off hand who makes it but it was the actual GM neutral color for my vehicle making it a perfect match for what I needed done.

Here 's the finished product installed.
Note that I had previously switched my lights in the dash to Red LEDs.
To keep up with the theme, I also took apart the homelink system and replaced the existing LEDs with red ones as well.

« Last Edit: August 8, 2013, 08:05:34 AM by Dluvr22 »

Prism

• CAFCNA 2015 Premium Member
  • Music Can Change Your Life
    • Link to my live recordings from DJing over the years.
« Reply #69 on: August 8, 2013, 17:04:20 PM »

slick install. im sure i am not the only one that is inspired to do some one off work now.
2010 Z71 4X4, Amber DTL, Bedslide, Yakima Mega Warrior Basket over the bed.
--------------------
twitter.com/DJPrism
facebook.com/AtlantasOwnDJPrism
soundcloud.com/the_dj_prism - for recordings

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #70 on: August 9, 2013, 07:07:54 AM »

Don't forget, you can always use the center console as well and mount a screen. I am still trying to figure out what size screen I can fit in mine. You could also move the HVAC controls to the center console where dluvr22 put his radio if you so desire.

Sorry, don't mean to jack your thread... ;)
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

Dluvr22

« Reply #71 on: August 9, 2013, 09:00:59 AM »

No Worries.

Today I finally received my newest additions to my CarPC project.

These are both track-pads that I want to integrate into my project to replace this guy in my center console.

I don't want to replace 1 device with 2 separate devices whoever I was not sure which would work best for my application so I got both to test and decide.
Main reason I decided to get rid of the current mouse is because it can be a bit difficult to use while driving.
Both of these devices I am testing out have their advantages and disadvantages so this is really become a hard choice so far.

The device on the right is a full function multi touch track pad for windows 8. I can basically use all of widows 8 gesture functions plus a few more I was not even familiar with .
The one on the left however is a regular track-pad from the same manufacturer but definitely wins in the coolness department.

In one mode it works as a dedicated trackpad without multi touch and ..............

with the push of a button it transforms into a keyboard great for use even at night in the vehicle

Note the key word here is transforms which actually fits my theme for the truck.
How I wish I could get the best of both worlds with a single device that does both but for now it does not seem feasible.
Main reason being is that the multi touch  version is made to be used on a surface like a table or something like my center console primarily.

The keyboard touch pad on the other hand does support 2 finger scrolling and a few other functions but not 3 or 4 finger gestures.
It is however easy to use by holding with one hand and typing or moving the mouse with the other.

Oh it is such a hard decision.

« Last Edit: August 9, 2013, 09:04:53 AM by Dluvr22 »

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #72 on: August 9, 2013, 15:38:10 PM »

What devices did you get and where did you get them from?

Does Win8 see both as touch devices or as HMI (Mouse/Keyboard) devices?

I might load Win8 on my machine if I could get that one on the left. I have another copy of Windows 8 that I can use but my resistive screen won't work with it well.

Rodney
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

Dluvr22

« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2013, 08:40:42 AM »

Rodney
They are called Peripads by Perrix.
These are the peripad 701 and 702 respectively.
You can get both of them from Amazon where the manufacturer has a store.
Their own website no longer lists the 701 model probably because the 702 is their newest design

The 701 however is the one that converts to the keyboard all while allowing you to use it as a track pad simultaneously.
It was made for windows 7 so it supports up to 2 fingers for scrolling, locking and unlocking the machine in addition to the one touch capabilities.
The 702, which is the one on the right was made for windows 8 so it supports up to 4 fingers.
Notable functions include having a gesture for going to the desktop, another to pull up the windows 8 charms bar, yet another to switch between apps on the fly, pinch and zoom, and so on and so forth.
I am still learning to use the functions as there are just so many.

Hopefully they'll come up with a 703 that includes the keypad with the multi-touch capabilities.
As of now the 701 has proven easier to use in the car but that is just my preference as the multi-touch function have a minor learning curve.
Also both of them are supported natively by Windows so there are no drivers to install. I hear it is also supported by Android although I haven't tested it out myself yet.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 08:50:31 AM by Dluvr22 »

Dakotawilk

« Reply #74 on: December 3, 2013, 12:43:57 PM »

dude i am jellous so many things about your truck are so sick!!
Current mods
Cb radio, 40" curved led bar, torsion keys, raptor lights, rear bed LEDs, plasti dipped avalanche logos interior power bar bow tie, 12,000lb (going in steel bumper) 2 led cubes leveling kit magnaflow exhaust
Future mods,
35" Goodyear wranglers mtr's, covering seat covers, upgraded front rotors, steel bumper (deigning it now), led cubes (ordered), front bench seat, subs, rear 2" spacers, 6" lift (after college) projector headlights, led tail lights

Dluvr22

« Reply #75 on: December 3, 2013, 13:01:46 PM »

Thanks
I have more mods planned.
Including some one offs however money dictates that I slow down a bit.
Some  I want to keep secret until I get it done so I cannot say as much as I want to.
As far as the Car PC goes there is very little I can add to it right now

One idea is to try to integrate street camera since my state has a site that allows you to view them.
It'll be real cool if I can view camera feeds as I drive past or to determine traffic ahead of me based on my GPS coordinates.
I really which I had the skills to do the scripting and pull the feeds to the car.

If you haven't seen it yet, you may want to check out my other thread.
I hope it will inspire others to push the envelop with their installs.

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?PHPSESSID=jbskqtf4s69gpp7f9phgougil1&topic=138828.25

Dakotawilk

« Reply #76 on: December 3, 2013, 13:07:56 PM »

the intigrated stree cameras would be SICK!!! if you get that running i want to know i will definitally be keeping up on this thread  :D
Current mods
Cb radio, 40" curved led bar, torsion keys, raptor lights, rear bed LEDs, plasti dipped avalanche logos interior power bar bow tie, 12,000lb (going in steel bumper) 2 led cubes leveling kit magnaflow exhaust
Future mods,
35" Goodyear wranglers mtr's, covering seat covers, upgraded front rotors, steel bumper (deigning it now), led cubes (ordered), front bench seat, subs, rear 2" spacers, 6" lift (after college) projector headlights, led tail lights

ChevRod

« Reply #77 on: July 3, 2014, 09:21:01 AM »

How is the paint that you used on the cladding holding up? Also, what type of paint or paints did you use?

Dluvr22

« Reply #78 on: July 3, 2014, 11:07:52 AM »

How is the paint that you used on the cladding holding up? Also, what type of paint or paints did you use?

Funny you should ask
I am actually in the process of repainting it right now.
Wile the last time literally took one weekend to get it done, this time I am already 2 weeks iin and not quite halfway there yet..... mostly because of my work schedule.

The paint held up ok for 2 years that I lived in NJ
After moving to MN however, within a few months in the winter and I started seeing spots all over the place.
 Come summer last year I went over it with plasti-dip but that did not least either. It started ripping and tearing too but the plasti-dipped rims stayed fine.
I am guessing because the cladding is soft plastic, the flexing of the cladding attributed to that.

This time around I am sanding and smoothing and adding primer before painting in the hopes that it will adhere better.
Only time will tell .

Some pics can be found on the last page of my other thread here:

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,138828.0.html

Dakotawilk

« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2015, 11:48:40 AM »

Bump I can't see the pics do to school wifi but I will be checking it out for sure later! Sounds awesome!
Current mods
Future mods,

My4re

• Propane is a Real Gas!
    • LEAP
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2015, 19:33:15 PM »

OMG That is sweet but why Winblows8 > ? LOL  :laugh:

Wouldn’t Raspberry Pi be easier and save tons of space now  ?
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." Thomas Jefferson 1789

Dluvr22

« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2015, 05:54:51 AM »

I chose windows because of the compatibility to all the applications and hardware I use and plan to add in the coming years. I've tried Linux and Ubuntu in the past and even though they are more stable, I had a heck of a time getting all my hardware to work as well as getting everything communicating together. I must admit that I am much more comfortable with the ins and outs of windows and that has influenced my decision. As far as stability goes, I have had a major crash of the OS only 3 or so times this year  and I'm comfortable with that. It usually boots right back up and runs. If the PC was controlling critical systems where I needed 100% stability, that'll definately be an issue however it is not due to the continuos drain it will have on the battery even while asleep.
I also looked into the raspberry Pi and for my purposes 1 or two units does not have the computing power I need. If I were to build separate modules for all I have the computer doing right now, I'd probably need to have 10 modules for all my tasks and that too is not something I want to have to deal with.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 24 queries.