Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dual PC install for my 2003 Av...  (Read 12145 times)

redheadedrod

• CAFCNA 2017 Supporting Member
  • 2003 Z71
Re: Dual PC install for my 2003 Av...
« Reply #25 on: January 2, 2014, 12:00:46 PM »

Thanks, I wish I had the experience of an EE. A local college does however have classes where I could get basically an associates in some aspects of EE. About the only interest I have is in being able to build my own Circuit boards. If I could build my own circuit boards then truly the sky is the limit with this system. I have had some training in basic electricity but dropped out of tech school before we got into digital components or making circuit boards. And of course if I can build my own boards from scratch anything I learn I could apply and help others do the same thing.

2003 Cladded Black Z71 - PC installed otherwise mostly stock.
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal
All on high and FTDRL (BCM friendly version)

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 13:55:38 PM »

Well I am on my way...

Got in touch with a local shop that I have known the guys since they started up their shop 20 years ago. Getting a great deal on a great alarm.

Compustar Alarm with Drone and probably factory remote or Slice if the factory remote doesn't work.

This alarm has an auto start unit in it and I can control everything from my phone or use the factory remotes.
If the truck is cold it will automatically turn on the seat warmer and the defroster. I can program the truck to start up based on time so it is warm when I get out.

Will be discussing with them installation of my PC and modifying the console for a touch screen. Looks like I will temporarily mount the computer in the storage compartment area until I can get the mid gate done. Although I MAY be able to get the midgate done by the time I get the console back.

Also doing research now on upgrading the lights to HID.
Should be a fun time!

Rodney
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 12:11:35 PM »

Cool, over the next two weeks I will be getting a series of upgrades on my truck..

Non PC related:
Picking up a spare set of rims and getting them powder coated black. Trying to choose flat or gloss black. Probably will go with Gloss black.
Have a new Billet Black bowtie. Will look to paint or plasti dip my power strip to black and install this bowtie.
Likely to add LED tails and HID headlights and Fogs.
Considering blacking out the turn signals and installing a couple of LED strips in the turn signal. (will not block any reflectors.)

PC related:
Looking at what screen will fit in the console. Should have Bezel modified to accept screen in short order. Touch Displays in Detroit has some nice screens. Hoping one of their transflective screens will work nicely. Trying to figure out the size screen to use.
Will be populating this specialized add on box I have here that gives me the stuff mentioned prior.

Once I get in all of the hardware I will take pictures...

The shop doing the powder coating is doing them for $40 per rim. This sounds cheap to me but they know friends of mine. They will be sand blasting my rims and going from there. Will likely have them also do my original rims as well. May have them do the hub caps as well or atleast look at them.

Still trying to figure out what to do with my Midgate yet...

Rodney
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

Dluvr22

• CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 15:03:25 PM »

You got a very good deal on the powder-coating. When I did mine they were $150.00 per rim.
As for the hubcaps you will have to get them painted if they are plastic.
The powder-coating is sprayed on at extremely high temperature ha will melt plastic.

I did mine in matte black and right now I wish I had done them glossy instead. The flat paint really shows of any imperfection or nick and scratches you get from daily use.
The gloss sheen however will hide some of them.
2002 Chevy Avalanche Z-71
Computer installed in vehicle. Rancho 9000 with MyRide controller. Krylon fusion on cladding. K&N intake. Dual battery mod to be completed soon............
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,124979.0.html

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 02:40:08 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion... I probably should go back and reread your thread but what did you do to your cladding to get it so black?

I will certainly ask for gloss black.

I am thinking of flat black for the bottom cladding and smoothing out the top cladding and going with a gloss on it. I will then use the clear plastic protective sheeting on the saddle bags to protect them.

When I do the cladding I will remove it from the truck. I am thinking of also covering underneath the cladding with undercoat spray to protect the paint from abrasion but I guess if I pull off the cladding and I don't see any scuffing that might be a little over kill.

Think I am going to close this thread pretty soon and use a project log instead.

Rodney
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2014, 19:41:48 PM »

Please do not respond to this thread as it has been continued here:
(Moderator please lock this thread)
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,142196.0.html
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 19:43:32 PM by redheadedrod »
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

My4re

• Propane is a Real Gas!
    • LEAP
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2015, 02:25:51 AM »

Sorry So Late Wife made me pay off her house before my toys.  Edubuntu 14.04 or 15now is by far best Distro for anyone Primary aged Child!

Have you guys worked with Raspberry Pi in this application or Am I that late to the game ?

I am trying to read up on your work, there is just so much to sift threw Awesome Job!

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." Thomas Jefferson 1789

redheadedrod

• 2003 Z71
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2015, 20:22:29 PM »

Check out the link in my last message in that thread... Much more work done since.

Rodney
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal

My4re

• Propane is a Real Gas!
    • LEAP
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2015, 15:31:54 PM »

10-4
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." Thomas Jefferson 1789
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 25 queries.