• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How well does the EXT AWD work?

Steel

Can any of the 07+ EXT owners give me some feedback on how well the EXT AWD works in the snow?

I?m getting ready to trade my 07 Av in the next few months and I?m seriously looking at the EXT. The AUTO  4wd setting on my Av gets sort of jerky sometimes, so I normally use the 4wd HIGH setting when driving on snow covered roads, which works much smoother.

My concern is that the EXT AWD will feel like the AUTO setting on my Av. Can?t really get a feeling for this on a test drive unless I wait for a really crappy weather day?don?t think the dealer will be very enthusiastic about that. 

It works great, much better than the awd setting on the Av.  You can't tell when it engages..

That?s good to hear?I don?t think I could live with AWD if it were similar to the Av system.

Thanks for the info.  (y)

I bought my 03 EXT last Spring becaus eI got stuck in our nast snow of 09-10. Ive heard great things about the EXT's AWD but since I bought the truck there hasnt been any snow to use it.
Maybe the snow is scared of the EXT.

BTW- I have  a vette too 08JSB.

I had a 2003 2500 and the AWD was HORRIBLE!!  Ran rough and not comfortable at all.  In the Cadi you don't even know it's there until you need it- and you still feel no difference.

Last weekend I was at a campground with some Boy Scouts and had to leave to get some food for in the morning.  It was late and the campground was closed- but a security guard said he would wait at the gate for me to let me back in.  I come back and he's gone.  Fifteen minutes later I start looking for options and find out that if I go up a hill, through a SOFT field that has been rained on for weeks, I can go past the gate. 

Not snow, but this ground was really soft (clay) and I made a mess going through it with 22's, but made it and it handled really well.  FYI...

HomeRun Hitter said:
I had a 2003 2500 and the AWD was HORRIBLE!!  Ran rough and not comfortable at all.  In the Cadi you don't even know it's there until you need it- and you still feel no difference.

Last weekend I was at a campground with some Boy Scouts and had to leave to get some food for in the morning.  It was late and the campground was closed- but a security guard said he would wait at the gate for me to let me back in.  I come back and he's gone.  Fifteen minutes later I start looking for options and find out that if I go up a hill, through a SOFT field that has been rained on for weeks, I can go past the gate. 

Not snow, but this ground was really soft (clay) and I made a mess going through it with 22's, but made it and it handled really well.  FYI...

Thanks for the info.  (y)

I have concerns about 22?s in the snow though?the 20?s on my current Av aren?t working so well for me this winter. I think a set of 18?s will work much better, however I don?t know if changing the wheel/tire combination on the EXT LUX will cause any issues with the electronic nannies.

GM does not offer the MRC suspension with the 18? wheels?don?t know if there is a technical reason for that or just a way to push the LUX package if you want MRC (and I do). 

With the recent snow storm ive experienceed here in Oklahoma City. The AWD with the 22's works fine. I do have big tires on them but nontheless she drives just fine

fifjPgCGEKGrHqUH-DkEsNErTb8yBLO7I0y.jpg

beav626 said:
With the recent snow storm ive experienceed here in Oklahoma City. The AWD with the 22's works fine. I do have big tires on them but nontheless she drives just fine

Nice looking truck?I like the black wheels.  (y)

I wish GM would tone the chrome down on the new ones. I?m looking at White Diamond or Silver because I just can?t take all the chrome on a black truck. Which is ok?I?m trying to break my addiction to black anyway.  :love:

Last year I owned 4 black vehicles?now I?m down to 3 and soon to be only 2 when the Av goes.

Steel said:
Nice looking truck?I like the black wheels.  (y)

I wish GM would tone the chrome down on the new ones. I?m looking at White Diamond or Silver because I just can?t take all the chrome on a black truck. Which is ok?I?m trying to break my addiction to black anyway.  :love:

Last year I owned 4 black vehicles?now I?m down to 3 and soon to be only 2 when the Av goes.

thanks- I have avoided Black cars for a long time. This EXT has been my first in many years. I would like a silver EXT next tho.

Thanks- I wish i still looked liek that but it has a grey/white tint from all the crap on the roads right now. Infact I will take her to the wash to get this round of stuff off of her.

beav626 said:
Thanks- I wish i still looked liek that but it has a grey/white tint from all the crap on the roads right now. Infact I will take her to the wash to get this round of stuff off of her.

I dig the look of your tire wheel combo, what kind/ size of wheel & tire setup is that?

Thanks!

Back