• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

bully dog gt programmer install

AAVMARINE88

So I just bought a new in box bully dog gt programmer and cant get it to install on my 06 ave. I downloaded the latest update, I pulled all required fuses still wont load my ave ANY IDEAS!!

Make sure all the connections are tight. There is a switch where it connects to the OBD 2 port that uses power from the OBD 2 or the power wire you connected to the main fuse box, move the switch to the other setting.  If its still not working call Bully Dog. I have the 40410 and it is nice.

how good is this tuner ?  does it really tune it better for fuel milege or just show u how to drive it differently? I saw this tuner on an episode of GEARZ it looks prety easy to use, but didnt really go into the rest of the functions , just wondering if anybody has some  experience with it  , thanks guys

I like mine.
The best it will do for fuel mileage is coach you on driving more efficiently. It is a good reminder.
I like the gauge functions and ability to check codes if needed. Programming for tire size was another one of my priorities.

Is there any improvement in fuel economy at freeway speeds?  I spend most of my time on the freeway

I just installed the same thing today and love it. I managed to get 3MPG better by using the drive program. I also managed to get Max performance. I will be going to Reno this weekend. It is 600 miles round trip. So I will get a good reading on overall highway mileage. The drive I did today was only 76 miles and was all hills. I went from 2500 feet to almost sea level and then back up to 2500 feet. I used 4.4 gallons and drove 76 miles. I was also very impressed with how much better it climbs the hills. Everyone who has a CAI knows the increased noise you get when climbing a hill at 60MPH. Well the sound was almost not there at all. My Av also stayed in 4Th instead of dropping down to 3rd on most of the inclines. Before it would drop into 3rd before I got 1/2 way up an incline. I also had a 30MPH headwind going back up the hills and my Av did awesome. Granted I have only had it for one day and I am still learning all the stuff I can do.
I am running at Performance on my settings and premium for my fuel. I increased my tire size to match my BFG's so my speedo is accurate. The 4 things I am watching on the screen are my Trans and water temps, throttle control and instant MPG. The install was a piece of cake. I mounted mine up by my sunvisor. I ran the cable in the apilar and down thru the dash.

Well my overall mileage is up by 4mpg. I am averaging 17 around the mountains which is 4 better than I was getting. The power is really good throughout the power band and with the different air filter I installed on my CAI my engine drown when under load is so much quieter. The only issue I am having is my clock is resetting when I turn off the display and start the truck. I am working this out.
I also noticed that on my 2002 Avy that if I program without removing the fuses it works a lot better. When I remove the fuses it cannot detect when I have turned the ignition on or off. Now remember I have an 2002, the 2003 and newer have different programming.
I am still having issues with my tire size working with the speedo properly. it is accurate up to about 55mph. Once I go over that is loses about 1 mph for every 5. So when I am doing 75 on the speedo I am only doing 69-70 on the GPS. The RPM's are also showing this discrepancy. I am only at 1750rpm at 75MPH when I use to be at 2000RPM. When I had the Hypertech3 installed I had the same tire setting and my speedo was right on with my GPS. So I am still working out this bug also.
But all in all I am very happy with my purchase and would do it again. Now to replace the upstream O2 sensors.

anyone know how the trans temp monitor works? do you have to install a temp sender in the trans or is it just plug and go type deal? ???

dshanks said:
anyone know how the trans temp monitor works? do you have to install a temp sender in the trans or is it just plug and go type deal? ???
Plug and go. The 4L60E has an internal temperature sensor already.

Back