• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Av "Toolbox"

dblosch

Hi Everybody!

This weekend I got a few things done on the Av.   I put in a tailgate torsion bar, a Sail Panel LED cargo light, and I made this tool box...

As an Eagle scout, I've always felt compelled to "Be Prepared."  Having tools in the truck in no exception.   In my Jeep i have a slide drawer under the rear seat where I keep basic hand tools.   The Av has plenty of Storage, but for various reasons i don't want to HAVE TO use my saddlebags to carry tools.  (I plan to mount a compressor on the drivers side, way deep toward the front, and the passengers side is already full with my hitch, motorcycle tie downs, and cargo net, etc...

I could just carry my old toolbox in the bed of the truck, and that wouldn't cause much problem... except that it would always be there, in the bed, and I like to keep the bed empty, "just in case."     

Man, I'm picky aren't I??

Anyway, this is what i came up with-  I bought a 1/2 sheet of 1/2 oak plywood,  traced and cut the rear window shape, and mounted some nylon holsters to it.   With the edges all routed round, and sanded down-  I think it turned out pretty slick.

The two big bags came from Target, in the "automotive junk" isle.    They were more money than i wanted to spend -about $15 each- but they have a hard plastic insert that I could bolt through and it should help them hold their shape.   They will be for sockets and end wrenches, respectively.   The other black pouches are made to clip on to a tool belt, and were about $8 each at the hardware store.   They also had a stiff plastic insert.  They are for screwdrivers, etc.     All of the black bags are bolted at the top with 1/4 carriage bolts.    Quick note-  carriage bolts in plywood won't hold well enough to use nylock nuts.    :E:  the bags are also velcro'd at the bottom to reduce any rattling.  The red pouch is a simple first aid kit.   It is only velcro'd in place so it can be a "grab and go." 

I found that the midgate folds flatter with the first aid kit removed.  Since i have a dog, and ride around with the midgate down most of the time, I needed it to lay as flat as possible.   I don't think Spot even noticed the extra slope...   (y)  Also, with the handle, the whole board can be removed and taken to the project at hand.   I also left the tabs on the bottom of the board, and yes, it fits in the rear window space no problem, should the need ever arise.

Enjoy,

Dan

Attachments

• Toolbox 1.JPG
    Toolbox 1.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,468
  • Toolbox 2.JPG
    Toolbox 2.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,474
  • Toolbox 3.JPG
    Toolbox 3.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,478
  • Toolbox 4.JPG
    Toolbox 4.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,492
  • Toolbox 5.JPG
    Toolbox 5.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,476
Looks good.  The only issue would be if you need to put your glass in their to haul something bigger.  But I love the idea.

Thanks Guys-   I like it.    As far as putting the glass back there, no sweat-  i'll just temporarily put the board along one side of the bed.   Also, I should have mentioned before that the big bags zipper shut-  so I won't have a bunch of sockets rolling around on the floor after a good brake check.   (y)

shameless plug for my other mod this weekend, my sail panel cargo LED's:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,21719.msg1889542.html#msg1889542

Dan

Thanks Guys!   It is something that I'd had in my head for a while, just needed a "truck weekend" to get it done.  I'm glad you like it.

I put the midgate down no problem!   Actually, it is down right now...   I should have taken a picture at lunch.   :E: 

I keep the midgate down most of the time, so the dog doesn't get hair all over the back seats, and he has more room to move around.  I don't think the extra little bit of slope from the "toolboard" has bothered him at all. I just pull off the first aid kit and throw it under the seat, because it's a little bit thicker than the other stuff. 

Now, if we were camping out of the truck, and were planning to sleep in the bed-  I'd take it out before I laid down.  I mean, really, it's probably only two or three inches difference at the "big" end, but laying like that all night might be uncomfortable.   I can measure the difference tonight for those who might consider puting one together...

:wave:
Dan

That's definitely  (y)  (y)

The possibilities you could do to that board are endless, with the right mounts a gun rack would be kind of neat. Maybe even a rod holder for your fishing poles.

dblosch said:
Now, if we were camping out of the truck, and were planning to sleep in the bed-  I'd take it out before I laid down.  I mean, really, it's probably only two or three inches difference at the "big" end, but laying like that all night might be uncomfortable.   I can measure the difference tonight for those who might consider puting one together...

Might not be that bad.  Most people like their head elevated anyway, but doesn't seem too hard to remove if it was a problem.  Nice work.

Thanks again everybody-  I do really like it.    Talked to my mom (a seamstress) about stitching up a canvas tool roll-up for me.  It will fold rather than roll, and it will keep my end wrenches from rattling in the big bag.  :love:

Booomer:  Absolutely-  I also talked to my dad yesterday about a gun rack, and now he's jealous his silverado doesn't have a removable window, lol.  It's too bad you can't really get more than one out of a 1/2 sheet of plywood...  The board clips in and out so easily, you could really have different boards for different purposes...  hmmmmmm...    I bet with some planned cuts, you could easily get 3 and possibly 4 toolboards out of a full sheet of plywood...

Z85:  I still need to take the measurements, but I do think I'd take the board out to sleep in the truck.  I've slept in it before, and the natural slope of the midgate is just about perfect for head elevation, but YMMV.

Dan

Took some pictures, as promised, of the midgate folded down with the the board in and out... 

Dan

Attachments

• board in.jpg
    board in.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,363
  • board out.jpg
    board out.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,359
  • 4fingers.jpg
    4fingers.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,359
  • 2fingers.jpg
    2fingers.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,359
Just a quick update-  got to "officially" use my toolbox for the first time today at the office.     :love:

TPTB planned a meeting in the conference room about "updated organizational and filing procedures for the upcoming tax season."  (n)        There was enough room for everyone, but two or three chairs had really wobbly legs.   "Dan, you have tools right?" 

Of course I have tools!   Chairs fixed, disasters averted, Glad to be of service.    Wham, Bam, Thank you Ma'am.

Dan

Any update on the measurements?  This looks really nice and I deaf want to make one lol.  :D

thats a great idea  :yourock:

BooomerX said:
That's definitely  (y)  (y)

The possibilities you could do to that board are endless, with the right mounts a gun rack would be kind of neat. Maybe even a rod holder for your fishing poles.

X2  (y) (y) (y) (y)
JV

Now i feel kind of dumb LOL never thought of taking out the window and using it as a template.  So simple. 

Thanks for jumping in and answering guys, I missed the email notification...

I'm glad people still like the idea!   Mine hasn't been out of the truck since I put it in.  Some people were asking about what I'd do with the window when I take it out, I've figured that out now, too:

My truck has the large half of a mid-deck in at all times as a flat surface for my dog Spot, and my ARB fridge. The "40"
side of the 60/40 split usually has the seat up for a passenger.    When I need the window out, I just slide it behind the fridge and the seat.  It doesn't seem to bother Spot at all, and mine isn't tinted so I don't really have to worry about scratching it.   I can take pictures if need be...

Hope that helps!

Dan

Im not to worried about the window,  havent had mine out once in the year I have owned my truck lol.  How did you get the bags to stay up?  I was thinking of buying just a bunch of like velcro strips and glue the one end onto the wood and the other onto the bags so if need be I can take the whole bag or whatever I put up with me.  You think velcro would hold it?

I used carriage bolts and washers/nylock nuts to hold all of the black bags in place.  YMMV because my bags had stiff plastic inserts that seem to have help up well.  The red first aid kit is mounted with Scotch brand fasteners, like velcro, but stronger. Got it at the hardware store, and it looks like this:  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00347A8GM/ref=asc_df_B00347A8GM2040837?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B00347A8GM&hvpos=1o6&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=708143957758120344&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

Dan

Just got done today,  I think it turned out good considering I never touched a jigsaw before (and still have all 10 fingers!) >.<  Iv tested it and nothing falls out! My tools are in there shelves really snug.  Seats fold up perfectly.  A+!  Im going to add a flashlight in there to.  Let me know what u think.

http://s1072.photobucket.com/albums/w368/prunejuice23/Truck/?action=view&current=20120605_152735.jpg

Back