• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

ABS Pump Running

white911

Searched the topics -- 2004; 5.3; Hawk HPS pads; ATE Blue; 20,000 miles on the fluid; 130,000 on the truck.

ABS light came on after a stop.  ABS pump continued to run even with ignition off. 

Disconnected the battery ground wire, next will pull the fuse and reconnect the battery so that I can drive it somewhere to trouble shoot/fix unless someone has some less costly alternatives.  No leaks, fluid level is good and the brake pads look good.  Brakes work fine otherwise.

Thanks,
Alan

I know that when wheel bearings are wearing out it can cause the ABS light and the kick back in the pedal. Is that what you are feeling? What happens is that small shavings from the bearing or race will stick to the sensor for the ABS and cause a bad reading....not saying that is what you problem is but it was my problem! 

Yours sounds more like a failed ABS module though.......

Thanks for the note.  With the battery connected, engine off, ABS fuse in, ABS pump continues to run.  Pump does not sound like it is cycling (unless it is extremely high frequency) when it is running, just running continuously.  Pulled fuse, pump shuts off.

If it is a failed ABS module, what is a recommended source?

Note:  I use the vehicle to tow with and frequently check hub temps with an IR temp sensor (on both the trailer and the truck).  Some of my friends have been caught out on the highway with bearing failure.  All I check for is consistency, but last time I checked hubs were running less then 170F.

Some thing you may want to try is it make sure it is grounded good. So take it off and clean where it is mounting, but it's probably bad.

I have read some folks use www.modulemaster.com for a rebuilt one, but not all of them are rebuildable.

www.rockauto.com is a good source for new ones, but they are over 400 bucks

HTH
MS03

I have someone that repairs ABS modules for me for $65! Problem is he takes FOREVER! Sent him 3 modules a month ago and just got them back Saturday. 

There are like a million different part numbers but for GMT800 trucks there are only two differences, with traction control or without.

Im having the same problem as White911 posted in 02/11.  The exact same thing, literally.  I didnt find a post where he updated anything.  Can anybody help?

I have a 2003 Avalanche with the same problem (big bucks)  My question is, is there a fuse for the ABS that can be removed and drive without them?

Just crawl underneath and remove the plug for the pump.  I've replaced prolly 200 or so EBCM's in my day, most for this problem.  An auto wrecker is your friend.

Back