• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Painting the cladding with Black Krylon

03Avalanche2500

PM 2012
I'm planning on painting my cladding with black Krylon Fusion.  Anyone that has done it already, how many cans of Krylon did it take?  Also I've seen some Avalanches with the Krylon Fusion, but how dark would it look on a black Avalanche?  I wouldn't mind if the cladding actually came out black, making the truck blacked out, but the one's I've seen came out dark charcoal, like the cladding is supposed to be, which is perfectly fine too.  Post pics if you've painted with the black Krylon please, I'd like to see how it looks. I'm just tired of trying to keep of with the fading and Armoralling the cladding once a month or so. Thanks for any input.

Removed all of mine including the bedcover and rails.  Sanded all of it smooth and painted to match my truck.  I'm happy with the results.

photo.jpg

Yours look great.  As for mine though, I want to keep the rugged look of the cladding.  So I won't be smoothing anything down.  The more I think about it, I think I want to paint my cladding flat black rather than the stock charcoal gray.  Anyone done this and have pics?

Most that I have seen are painted with the satin black. Flat may look OK but think about it, when you clean and treat the cladding it has a little shine to it. If you paint it flat will it look like it needs cleaned or treated? Not sure, just asking, good luck and post pictures of what you do please.

Satin black would be fine, I probably meant to put that actually.  I'm just trying to picture what the cladding would look like on my black Avalanche.  I saw a forest green Avalanche on here with the black Krylon and it look really cool.  That is one reason I want to paint mine black, but the only black Avalanches I've seen painted with the satin black came out to look charcoal gray like stock.  So I don't know man.

i dont know if this will help but i did my truck with krylon.
it also shows the steps i took.
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,124322.msg1886050.html#msg1886050

Personally I love the look of the satin black, is as close as you can get to a true black without smoothing the cladding down. The pictures ill take later today will show you that its nothing close to the stock charcoal color or look. The satin black even has a tiny bit of shine to it, but not to much if you know what I mean. As far as your questions go, I think I bought 11 or 12 cans at the time but I still have 2 left, its been a while so I don't remember. If it helps, im painting a brand new front cladded cover today and will take before and after pics, its already off the truck...

my truck is satin black and you cans see the shine. i think i used about 12 cans too but it was because i painted the crome bumper too.

sorry the last link i posted doesnt work try this one. :beating:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,124322.0.html

I also want to paint the chrome piece on my grill black to match the rest of the truck, would I have to sand that down or just clean it up like the rest and paint over it?  Lehman, I saw you did your chrome bumper, what all did you do to paint it?

Well the chrome bumper piece and the powerbar are different, if I remember, the bumper is actual chrome and the powerbar is plastic. So you would scuff it up a bit with sandpaper and then go with the krylon in my opinion, I did this to the chevy emblem about a year ago and its still good as new

I took a spinning wire brush for the drill and scratched most of the crome off. then i just used krylon gray primer and made it smooth then i let it sit for 24 hours and put 5 coats of fusion on it (because it gets hit the most.) then let it dry for 24 hours. after it dried i mounted it. after 7 days it becomes chip and scratch resistant.

I'm going to follow this.. I have an 02 Tahoe and I have been meaning to take the plastics down and get them painted black..I do everything myself and 80% of all the painting but have lagged on this project cuz I thought I had to have a pro do it.You guys really stand behind this Krylon??

I've heard only great things about this Krylon, so when May comes around, when I'm done the this semester of college, mine will be painted with the satin Krylon.  Honestly the look I'm going for when I say I want my cladding black, is the black flares on a lot of the Avalanche's without cladding, and Silverado's, they are the factory ones I guess, and they aren't too shiney and not too dull either.  Just a nice black finish, and that is what I want all my cladding to look like.  The Krylon Satin finish will give me this look right?

Yes it will, I have the before pics of my new front bumer cover, I just need after pics and ill post, I swear by krylon if I need any interior or ext plastics painted. I also do 100% of the work including painting on my truck  :drive:

Sweet looking forward to the pics.So I know it says no sanding needed but I don't know if  I could live with myself if I didn't sand the plastics..you obviously no what you're doing, Did you sand them?

I didn't, but I cleaned all the cladding pretty thorough with alchohol and that's the only prep work I did. Just 3 coats on everything and its held up really good, if it makes you feel better you could go over it all with some krylon prymer first

I also opended another thread, I probably should've just mentioned it on here, but I plan on accenting parts of the cladding.  It turns out EarthQuake beat me to it years ago and it is exactly how I pictured what I want to do.  Which color and base(gloss, satin, etc.) should I use to get that accent like he had?

Back