• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

HELP ! Driver Rear Door Wont Open

Chris_G1

Over the winter with the help of some freezing rain I broke the drivers rear door handle on my '07. Today finally there is some nice weekend weather so I went out and changed it. Got done, put the door all back together fingers crossed I closed it and opened it so new handle works. Get in and shut the door, open it from the inside. Happy I did it all correctly I locked it and checked to see if it locked, yup it locked. Unlocked the doors I CANT GET IN !!!! The door will not open from the inside or the outside.

I can hear everything working at that door when I push my keyless.

Any ideas on how I can get it open again ?

Dumb question but to cover all the basics...Are you sure you hit the keyfob TWICE to be sure you unlocked it? Sorry to sound mean but there's been many times something simple has been overlooked and people have gone nuts trying to figure out what the problem is.

No worries on the question, sometimes its the most simple things !

Sadly not my case, yes I did hit the unlock MANY times just to make sure it wasnt caught on anything and would loosen after a few tries

Do you feel any resistance on the handles when you pull on them to open the door?

No, both the inside and the outside pull without resistance as the do when they are locked.

I guess the other thing I should mention is the lock tab on the inside does go up and down when locked or unlocked

Chris_G1 said:
No, both the inside and the outside pull without resistance as the do when they are locked.

I guess the other thing I should mention is the lock tab on the inside does go up and down when locked or unlocked
That rules out a relay then. I'm afraid something came apart on you. I don't have any ideas on how to get that panel off with the door closed.

Can you manually unlock the door?

Or, sounds like a linkage attachment is not connected.

EJ

Almost sounds like the child safety lock is engaged but that wouldn't explain why you can't open it from the outside.

I guess even if I can get into it this weekend and get the door apart again unless someone else has had the exact same problem and can steer me in the direction of the issue I wouldnt have a clue what to be looking for since all seems to be working, and was working with the new handle before I locked it 

Looking at the repair manual, 2002 mind you, there is 2 cables inside there.
Does your inside (manual) lock move when you hit the remote?

EJ

Looking through the thread, again, it sounds like one of the connections, either was not reconnected properly or came loose. Don't know how you can get in, now. Sorry.

EJ

Try and do something myself to save a trip to a shop and money, and now it will probably cost me more to have the issue fixed as it is now !!

If there is a positive, atleast it locked and I dont have to worry about it being unlocked for the next few days !

Chris, Where are you at? There may be a member nearby that can help. You don't have it under your avatar.
Sounds like somehow or another you're going to have to get that inner panel back off. Whether you do it or take it to the shop, there's only going to be one way to do it. How stubborn are you to try it with the door closed?

Im in Burlington, Ontario

I am going to try and fight with it tomorrow, without making things worse. Hopefully I can get some kind of grip on it and pull the panel off

Put the window down, get a wedge and place it between the window and the outer weatherstripping to open up a path for you to look in and see the catch. also look for what has disconnected. Using a coat hanger or other device to pull or push the lever to get the door opened. Take your time and you will fix it.  (y)

ronthehandymanga said:
Put the window down, get a wedge and place it between the window and the outer weatherstripping to open up a path for you to look in and see the catch. also look for what has disconnected. Using a coat hanger or other device to pull or push the lever to get the door opened. Take your time and you will fix it.  (y)

Thats a good idea, I will give that a try

I was looking at it last night and I really dont think I could get the panel off with the door closed anyway because the rear seat is very close

i have lots of tools and tools to make other tools >:D if you dont get it done this week come over this weekend and we will figure it out i live in burlington ontario as well im right by burlington mall..

Ok, I have been outside for an hour or so and with the window down I can see the back of the handle. I have a long bar with a hook on one end so I put it down as far as I could get it to reach to see if anything had come disconnected from the lock mechanism and nothing felt loose. I gave a slight push on it to see if things were not moving as they should and nope, still wont open. So I tried the hook end and gave a slight tug up and SUCCESS the door opened from the inside and the outside repeatedly.

So I shut it, locked it, unlocked it and guess what................ Wont open again !

Good news I can get it open again, bad news is something for whatever reason isnt letting go from lock properly.

Does the outside handle have anything to do with the lock mechanism ? If the new handle is slightly different than the old one and there is a bit of " slack " ( for lack of a better term ) in the bar that goes from the handle to the lock mechanism, is it just as simple as its not being pushed upward enough to fully unlock ?

I think I would have taken the door panel off before I shut it again, just in case, lol.  Uh guess what, you shoulda, lol.  If you replaced the door handle, I have seen multi use handles that have different holes for the adjustment arm, its possible you have it in the wrong hole, just a thought.

Didit

Didit said:
I think I would have taken the door panel off before I shut it again, just in case, lol.  Uh guess what, you shoulda, lol.  If you replaced the door handle, I have seen multi use handles that have different holes for the adjustment arm, its possible you have it in the wrong hole, just a thought.

Didit

lol, yes I know I probably should have but I was getting dark with a threat of rain and actually about 30mins after I finished it started to rain !

As for the handle there was only 1 spot for the arm to go

Back