• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rear window stow latches in midgate

grendel

Both of the disc latches that you use to stow the window in the midgate were essentially pulled off the midgate.  Chevy doesn't seem to sell them as a separate part (that I can find) and only sells the whole midgate.

Other than going to a local junkyard and pulling them off myself, I'm also looking at fabricating replacements from cast aluminum with a steel hub, using the originals as the casting pattern.  It's a fun project, but to be honest, if I could order a pair of plastic replacements for $30, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

grendel, I show you can buy them separate.Go to your Dealer with part# 89045596 RH 89045597 LH.
Have them pull up a picture of these to make sure that is what you want. they should not charge
you over $13.65 a piece if that is the part you need.

They're in the "tailgate" category.  I spent 30 minutes searching for those darned things through several GM parts catalogs but never thought to look under the tailgate category.

Thanks much.

[edit]  With a better informed google search, I came up with this old thread:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=17118.30

And this part info:

#03-08-66-012 Info - Midgate Rear Glass Storage Retainers Now Available for Service - (Oct 7, 2003)

Midgate Rear Glass Storage Retainers Now Available for Service

2002-2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT
2002-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche

Part Number  Description

88944369  Latch Asm, M/Gate (RH) - Graphite
88944370  Latch Asm, M/Gate (RH) - Neutral
88944371  Latch Asm, M/Gate (RH) - Shale
88944372  Latch Asm, M/Gate (RH) - Pewter
88944373  Latch Asm, M/Gate (RH) - Vy Dk Pewter
88944375  Latch Asm, M/Gate (LH) - Graphite
88944376  Latch Asm, M/Gate (LH) - Neutral
88944377  Latch Asm, M/Gate (LH) - Shale
88944378  Latch Asm, M/Gate (LH) - Pewter
88944379  Latch Asm, M/Gate (LH) - Vy Dk Pewter

No photos available for the part #'s you list or for the part #'s above.  Oh well, none of them are that expensive and they still seem to be in stock at the online parts places.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the posters in the thread I link to: this part appears to be prone to failure at the weak point where it's clipped on. I might just go ahead with my project to fabricate a replacement in aluminum and steel even after buying the replacement parts.

[edit #2]  I found images:

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=3084548&ukey_assembly=372731

The second list (with colors) are the parts I am (was) looking for.

Thank you so much for posting all of this! Both of mine are broken and I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how and or where to find new ones!!!!

I know this is an old post but since this seems to be a common problem has anyone modded something of their own as a better/longer fix than replacing? I know the part is cheap but maybe a longer fix will take the frustration out of the equation. If so, I'd like to see some pics. Thx

Not that this is a fix, but I just put my back glass in the seat, or in the bed when I have someone in the back. I have a sub box where the back glass would go.  :p 

But... on the mod side, I've heard of an idea to make a slide in/out holder for the back glass on the side of the bed.  Good luck with your project!

I have not seen anyone successfully making a replacement part for the window latches. Not sure I would just lay window in seat or in bed due to possible damage or injury from flying glass in an accident or sudden maneuver. I do remember some talk of making a rigid window holder that could go inside a bed panel storage bag and secured to the side tie-down points, don't know if it ever left the thought/development stages though.

Back