• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Chip or Programmer?

03Avalanche2500

PM 2012
I'd like to add some more power to my Avy 2500, obviously who wouldn't?  But I would love to have better mpg.  Which would be better, to get a chip or programmer?  I don't know anything about the computers or anything like that.  I know only the basics on the carb. engines because of my first car a few years ago.  I haven't decided if I want to get anything or not, but I probably will get one in the future.  Thanks for any advice and input.

Same here.  I was looking at the hypertech Max programmers, they seem to be the easiest with the best features for the buck:

http://www.hypertech-inc.com/products-max-energy.aspx

performance gains for our 8.1's :
Premium Octane: +57HP +60TQ
Regular Octane: +41HP +44TQ

Adjustable Features

* Shift Firmness 25%, 50%, 75%, & 100%
    * Shift Point -500 to +500 RPM
    * Transmission and Gear options are not supported on Allison transmission equipped vehicles
    * Speedometer\Odometer Correction For Gears 2.73, 3.08, 3.27, 3.31, 3.55, 3.73, 3.90, 4.10 & 4.30, 4.56
    * Speedometer\Odometer Correction For Tire Sizes 24-54 inches 1/4 inch increments
    * Top Speed Limiter 81, 87, 93, 99, 106, 112, 118, 124, 130, 149, 168, 186, 255 MPH
    * Rev Limit 5200 to 6200 RPM in 100 RPM increments
    * DTCs Read and Clear
    * Return Back To Stock
    * Internet Updateable

Has anyone got a hold of tuning software for a dyno and used that on a laptop to tune with out a dyno? If so, What software is the best?

H.O. Heartbeat said:
Thanks, but I'm looking for the software they use on a dyno.

HP Tuners and EFI Live are a couple of software packages used.  I know Black Bear runs EFI Live and I believe Nelson Performance runs HP Tuners.  I have a Black Bear and more than happy after my cam/springs/push rods/torque converter swap.  A custom tune in my opinion is the best. 

Ski Edition said:
HP Tuners and EFI Live are a couple of software packages used.  I know Black Bear runs EFI Live and I believe Nelson Performance runs HP Tuners.  I have a Black Bear and more than happy after my cam/springs/push rods/torque converter swap.  A custom tune in my opinion is the best. 

Do you run a laptop with it. I have a preditor but I'm sure its going to become useless quickly. I have to be able to do more. I plan on having it tuned but I have to be able to get it there first and it would also be nice to change some things that are not available though any handheld.

H.O. Heartbeat said:
Do you run a laptop with it. I have a preditor but I'm sure its going to become useless quickly. I have to be able to do more. I plan on having it tuned but I have to be able to get it there first and it would also be nice to change some things that are not available though any handheld.

I had Justin at Black Bear do my tune using EFI Live and am very satisfied with the results.  I did not buy the software, as I don't see myself making any more performance changes in the near future.  I do know some people that are avid HP Tuners users and they love the results. 

Ski Edition said:

I have a question for you ski i went to a local shop in my area and they convinced me about black bear tuning i was wondering how did you get intouch with them i sent an email, but still havnt heard back.... :cry: do you have a number ,...or shops or anything!, after talking to my shop i am eager to get one for my av myself. and can you tell me how it works like getting the tune and just as much information as you can give me, like installing etc.
Thanks a lot!

Back