• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Traded the AV for a FJ Cruiser

nhvalenzuela

SM 2009
SM 2007
Large repairs and costly maintenance items were looming.  I didn't experience any problems during the first seven years of ownership.  But the last year was totally maddening, as problems and gremlins plagued me with constant trips to the local garage and dealership.  The Av was like Jeckle and Hyde, I didn't know who was going to show-up.  My Av lost our trust by becoming very unreliable. 

It wasn't easy trading-in my cladded Av.  Eight years of good memories.  I seriously considered trading up to the newer body style Av, but cost was a factor.  To my surprise, The FJ Cruiser met my family's current needs, and provides that same "head turning" reaction that my AV did when I first bought it.  I got a great deal on the FJ that I just couldn't walk away from. 

I know that I haven't attended any GTGs in awhile, and was hoping to get to one this year.  Maybe it will be in the FJ  :beating:

I know that I have some AV parts/accessories hanging around and may be listing some items in the For Sale section.

Below is a pic of my FJ Cruiser.

Ed

Attachments

• FJ cruiser.jpg
    FJ cruiser.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 135
Congrats on the new ride  (y)

My friend had an FJ for about 6 months.  Hopefully you get better fuel mileage than she did.  She said the averages were between 1/2 and 2/3 of the posted mileage claims.  She sold it and bought a Silverado pickup and improved her mileage both city and highway.

Other than and the blind spots out the sides she said she really liked it.  Hopefully it works out for you.  :B:

I'm sorry for your loss. 

Hopefully the payments are less than the repair bills on the AV. 

but an FJCruiser?  Should've gotten a '67-'78 FJ-40!    (y)

Attachments

• FJ40.jpg
    FJ40.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 51
Thank you everyone.  :love:  I'm starting to get used to it.  So far so good and my gas mileage has been much better than my AV.

My daughter loves the FJ (as you can tell in the picture).  The cost of the FJ wasn't less than those of the *known* repairs that were upcoming, but we now have "peace of mind" as it was Toyota certified, and I got the 8 year/120K mile, bumper to bumper, as part of the deal.  I'm covered until 2015.

I'd be lying if I said that I didn't miss my Av  :cry:  I don't want to bash it by listing the problems I had the last year, but I can tell you that the next required repairs were big ones that would have required significant expenditures.

I'll still be checking-in.  We still haven't got my son a car, who just became old enough to drive.  So who knows, I may end up back in an Av if the circumstances are right  :B:

Ed
Still...AVnHHR

Chevzilla AV said:
Looks like I'll have to change what I look for when I'm up in your neck of the woods. Congrats on the new ride!!!

Nick:

I still have a club sticker somewhere and will put it on the FJ.  I'm sure I'll see you NE guys around.

Ed

Back