• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Factory Fog Install on 2011 LS

BADalanche

I found this to be a rather simple mod, and a nice upgrade for $184 total from GMpartsdirect. The kit is 19157652 (although on my instructions it says 19170448, but gmpartsdirect doesn't recognize that number), and it comes with extensive directions. Here is a quick pictorial of my adventure.

After disconnecting the battery, the interior headlight switch is popped out (I used some plastic interior trim tools I got from Amazon for under $10).

The module is removed and replaced by the fog module:

This literally takes 2min and the interior is done:

Now to the exterior - pop the top of the junction box. It has 2 gray handles that need to be pulled together then back (like a bird flapping its wings once):

Pull up the gray block connector you see here - it may remain connected to the top of the junction block:

Turn it upside down and find the correct spot where the wire will go. The diagram on the directions show where the location is by looking at the opposite side, so be careful (I put it in the wrong spot first and it was a royal PITA to get back out). In order to place the wire, you will need to remove a red plastic clip on the side of the block and reinsert it after you have the wire in:

Here is the shot of the wire going into the wrong spot - its actually on the opposite side of this:

This shows the wire harness with the purple wire that goes in the block:

Now you just have to fish the ground wire down toward the grounding screw located just under the driver's door - you can follow an existing bundle there - and secure to the screw:

Now just fish the wires to the light holes (the plastic covers pop right out):

Attach the light and pop them in, and your done:

As for mods, this would get a 2 difficulty out of 5, and only for the wiring - it took me 15 minutes to figure out the red plastic piece had to be removed to insert the fog wire. As for the kit - flawless. I really like that you can turn on the fogs independent of the headlights. Up next is HID install, then Cubby BU mirror...

Attachments

• DSCN0138.JPG
    DSCN0138.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN0141.JPG
    DSCN0141.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN0142.JPG
    DSCN0142.JPG
    232.1 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN0143.JPG
    DSCN0143.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for the nice how-to!

I already have fogs on my 07 Av, but I'd like them to stay on when the hi-beams engage. Actually, I'd like to have the low/hi/fogs to be on at the same time. I did that with my 03 Buick Regal.

Is there a thread on doing that?

i ordered the light kit as well but received no instructions. Was wondering if you could possibly post a sketch of the pin placement or possibly clarify which slot it uses?

in the pic where you have inserted the pin in the wrong slot, is it suppose to stay on the same side but in the end slot closer to the heavier gauge yellow wire?

TIA

Samsquanch,

the bulb is known as a H16 but it is also labelled as a 5202 or 9009

I just completed this installation using the handy guise above on my '08 Avy.  It was pretty simple and the only PITA part is wiggling everything out of and back into place.  I used a pick set from Snap-On to pull the wire block from the top of the fuse platform but a small flat head should work.  Just take your time prying it out.

I'm a little OCD when it comes to working on this so it took me about 2 hours to install after checking & rechecking each step about 7 times, not to mention refilling 8 cups of coffee during the process.  And yes my ass is frozen from laying on the ground.

I also took a picture of the corrected wiring from both the inverted fuse block and the wiring harness.  The B5 connector is the open pin next to the black and yellow main block wires.  Its most likely the only one that is open.  I own an LS with zero options and there was only one place to put the purple wire from the fogs in.

I've got the heated seats option sitting in a box but I'm pretty sure I am going to need a whole weekend to complete this.  Dismantling seats is not my forte.

Good luck to whomever is doing this next.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92828205@N02/8438197283/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92828205@N02/8438197289/in/photostream

Good luck with those heated seats! I was going to do that next, but I traded. Since you already have to pull off the seat covers, why not get some katzkins off ebay to really dress up your Av? I sometimes see 'em for $500 on ebay...

Any chance the pictures of this are still floating around somewhere? Specifically where the wire is supposed to go in the electrical box... Thanks!

mattrius said:
Any chance the pictures of this are still floating around somewhere? Specifically where the wire is supposed to go in the electrical box... Thanks!

I know late, but here is pic of wrong spot as stated earlier...

Attachments

• DSCN0146.JPG
    DSCN0146.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 9
I found this to be a rather simple mod, and a nice upgrade for $184 total from GMpartsdirect. The kit is 19157652 (although on my instructions it says 19170448, but gmpartsdirect doesn't recognize that number), and it comes with extensive directions. Here is a quick pictorial of my adventure.

After disconnecting the battery, the interior headlight switch is popped out (I used some plastic interior trim tools I got from Amazon for under $10).

The module is removed and replaced by the fog module:

This literally takes 2min and the interior is done:

Now to the exterior - pop the top of the junction box. It has 2 gray handles that need to be pulled together then back (like a bird flapping its wings once):

Pull up the gray block connector you see here - it may remain connected to the top of the junction block:

Turn it upside down and find the correct spot where the wire will go. The diagram on the directions show where the location is by looking at the opposite side, so be careful (I put it in the wrong spot first and it was a royal PITA to get back out). In order to place the wire, you will need to remove a red plastic clip on the side of the block and reinsert it after you have the wire in:

Here is the shot of the wire going into the wrong spot - its actually on the opposite side of this:

This shows the wire harness with the purple wire that goes in the block:

Now you just have to fish the ground wire down toward the grounding screw located just under the driver's door - you can follow an existing bundle there - and secure to the screw:

Now just fish the wires to the light holes (the plastic covers pop right out):

Attach the light and pop them in, and your done:

As for mods, this would get a 2 difficulty out of 5, and only for the wiring - it took me 15 minutes to figure out the red plastic piece had to be removed to insert the fog wire. As for the kit - flawless. I really like that you can turn on the fogs independent of the headlights. Up next is HID install, then Cubby BU mirror...
Awesome just what I needed. Thxs

Back