• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rear Spacers for 2500 AV

James160

Just curious if anybody is running spacers on the rear wheels so that they stick out as far as the front. Also if one does run spacers is there any mechanical or safety reasons why you shouldn't.  I just had a baby and want to keep the family safe but look good while doing it.  I'm sorry if there is already a post for this.  I new and don't know any better. Oh and I never thought of loading the rear compartments with ice for beer!! Just read that thread. This sight is brilliant.

Did you try a search. >:D

2 inch.

PS there are areas for 2500 specific mods.

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/board,47.0.html

I am stock, never had an issue where I think they were needed. Some guys claim you are more stable but I tow big weight and decided not to put the extra stress on my hubs/axles. My Avalanche tracks great- the air bags really made a difference.

Avalon

avalonandl said:
I am stock, never had an issue where I think they were needed. Some guys claim you are more stable but I tow big weight and decided not to put the extra stress on my hubs/axles. My Avalanche tracks great- the air bags really made a difference.

Avalon

I agree with you 110%.  If I were towing I wouldn't have those spacers on mine.  I don't do any towing, at all, and that's the only reason they are on there.

We have the same axle and wheel bearings as a dually, but a fraction of the payload and far less towing capacity.  Spacers aren't gonna hurt the rear axle, plus the wheel still rides on the hub, so it's not like the weight is on the lug studs.

I feel that the truck does feel a little more balanced with the added 4" of track width, when doing a swerve type maneuver.

Eskimo said:
We have the same axle and wheel bearings as a dually, but a fraction of the payload and far less towing capacity.  Spacers aren't gonna hurt the rear axle, plus the wheel still rides on the hub, so it's not like the weight is on the lug studs.

I feel that the truck does feel a little more balanced with the added 4" of track width, when doing a swerve type maneuver.
X2

Eskimo- I'd really like to hear your opinion on this because I have been all the way to pushing the "buy" button on a set of these. I know we have an axle that gets used in dually applications and is full floating. Did you notice any changes while towing?

Thanks

Avalon

Ordred 2inch spacers so i will not have to grind the studs.

www.ezaccessory.com  $ 144 shipped.

Will let everyone know.

Avalon

avalonandl said:
Eskimo- I'd really like to hear your opinion on this because I have been all the way to pushing the "buy" button on a set of these. I know we have an axle that gets used in dually applications and is full floating. Did you notice any changes while towing?

Thanks

Avalon

Hard to say.. I put the spacers on pretty quickly after I bought the truck.  It just used to feel like the back would roll further than the front when swerving or turning hard (2 things I'm sure we all try to avoid when towing), but the spacers seemed to help that, so I can't imagine there would be ANY drawback.

I'm sure you won't regret it!

Spacers arrived by USPS in a flat rate box- OMG they weigh 25 lbs. Post office lost $ on that shipment.

Working hard right now at an Emergency Response job- no time to install.

Avalon

I believe you will be happy when you put them on.  :D

Thanks guys.  I was concerned about the torque on the axles but it was interesting to learn that the 2500s run the one ton axle and that the spacer isn't hanging out past the hub.  I think I will be looking more into this.  I was concerned about towing but I only tow about 6 times  year. (should be more I know)

James160 said:
I was concerned about towing but I only tow about 6 times  year. (should be more I know)

don't feel bad haha, remember I never pull anything.  we did have the Harley trailor hooked up to it once when going to the beach, then decided to just pull them with my dad's 06 Duramax lol. my truck was too high up and we didn't have enough drop to pull it without any worries. 

Yeah We have a drop hitch on ours and it still wasn't enough.  We have 25 foot travel trailer and I dragged the tail end over some curbs.  We ended up putting a 4 inch lift in the trailer and now it sits perfect!

I finally found my round tuit this weekend and installed the spacers along with my Hummer wheels. They stick out about a inch

Attachments

• 2011-06-06_21-07-46_983.jpg
    2011-06-06_21-07-46_983.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 259
  • 2011-06-06_21-07-27_794.jpg
    2011-06-06_21-07-27_794.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 261
And another shot the AV is a bit dirty.

And it's finally Dechromed

Attachments

• 2011-06-06_21-08-08_769.jpg
    2011-06-06_21-08-08_769.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 257
Nice, did mine a long time ago to fit H2 wheels as well.  I felt that it tracked better on gravel roads personally. 

It does track better, I always fealt that the rear did not follow the front while turning.  I had the wheels in the garage for about 3 years, but I just started the rebuild after turning 100,000 miles earlier this year.

Rear spacers are just on. Will let you know what the verdict is. BTW getting the tires off was BI$CH. Needed a sledge.

Avalon

avalonandl said:
Rear spacers are just on. Will let you know what the verdict is. BTW getting the tires off was BI$CH. Needed a sledge.

Avalon

:laugh: did you see my post "Wheels stuck on" I had to loosen the bolts and drive down a bumpy dirt road.

OK I am a Lead Singer for the Monkees>.....

" I'ma believer. "  (written by neil diamand btw)

The Avalance rides better over bumps, more stable on the highway= it has a slightly differnt feel on the highway. But I LIKE IT.

Guys - this is a well spent $ 144.

Avalon

Back