• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Towing behind Motorhome...

S

sully

I will be towing a 2011 LTZ 4WD behind my Motorhome. My question is while flat towing the Avalanche 4 wheels down will it register millage??  Thanks Sully...

Ya don't want to tow a AV without removing the driveshaft. Check your owners manual.

Opps where are my manners :welcome: to the club sully.

This is my first Chevrolet but can't you take the transfer case out by pressing two of the drive buttons at the same time?  I am nowhere near the truck to recall which two.

The problem will be the tranny they will fry it in short order. Check the owners manual.

MS03 2500 said:
The problem will be the tranny they will fry it in short order. Check the owners manual.

I did and you can tow it....if it is 4 wheel drive. As cooncitycornflake said you just need to put the transfer case in neutral. In older models this may not be the case. In two wheel drive Avalanches you will need to remove the driveshaft.

OK I'm out of it. :notworthy: :notworthy:

sully said:
I will be towing a 2011 LTZ 4WD behind my Motorhome. My question is while flat towing the Avalanche 4 wheels down will it register millage??  Thanks Sully...

Hi Sully,

The owners manual is specific on this, you can tow it 4 down if it has a 2 sp transfer case.  Start in 2wd, then hold the transfer selector knob all the way to the right past 4 L and the red N will show up after about 10 seconds.  Then you can tow it 4 down.
As to your question about the mileage, Im not 100% sure, but bet that it wont record anything since the key is off.

I bought mine for the same reason, I wanted a towd ;}

HTH, Joe

This just my opinion, put the front wheels on a carrier and take the driveshaft out. So you won't post later my tranny is broke.

I always say I can lead to water but I can't make you drink. Good luck with that towing.  (y)

Z66 BUTCH said:
I did and you can tow it....if it is 4 wheel drive. As cooncitycornflake said you just need to put the transfer case in neutral. In older models this may not be the case. In two wheel drive Avalanches you will need to remove the driveshaft.
The older truck 4x buttons have a marking on the dash suggesting the two buttons are to be pushed at the same time to take out the transfer case for freewheeling.

OMG Good luck with that.

I sent a PM to ShapeShifter about this thread. He tows his all the time. He'll chime in once he has a chance.

DSCN0195.jpg

My 99 K2500 Sub does the same thing so this has always been this way to tow with 4X4's. Just my .02.... R.

sully said:
I will be towing a 2011 LTZ 4WD behind my Motorhome. My question is while flat towing the Avalanche 4 wheels down will it register millage??  Thanks Sully...

Mine 2002 doesn't register mileage. But there may be differences in model years. But generally, if the ignition is not on and the dashboard and engine computer don't have power, it won't rack up miles.

MS03 2500 said:
Ya don't want to tow a AV without removing the driveshaft. Check your owners manual.

It's very good advice to check your owner's manual, look under "Recreational Towing." It will have full details on what you can and cannot do, and how to properly tow your Av if it's one of the models that support being towed. What you can do depends very much on what model you have, and perhaps what year.

I did check my owner's manual carefully. According to my manual, for a 2002 two wheel drive, you don't want to flat tow it -- remove the driveshaft and make sure dirt doesn't enter the back of the transmission. But for a 1500 4x4 with the two speed transfer case, put the transfer case in neutral and transmission in park (there is a specific sequence spelled out in the manual.) With the transmission in park, it will not turn, and there is no risk of damaging the transmission. For mine, once in that mode, there are no speed or distance restrictions, and no need to stop every couple hundred miles and start the engine and run through the gears like there is with some cars.

The Av makes a great toad, and I'm very happy with it. It doesn't have a lot of restrictions that some cars have. But on the other hand, it's heavy, and if you only have a 3,500 or 5,000 pound tow rating (which is very common) it will be a non-starter. But if you have a 10,000 pound tow rating like I do (or higher) then it can work very well. Just make sure your tow bar is rated enough (I use a 10,000 pound rated BlackHawk 2) and you really do want a braking system in it (I use a US Gear Universal Tow Brake.)

I've pulled the Av for 10,000 miles so far, and am very happy with it. (y)

-- SS

SS,

Which baseplate are you using?

On my last towd, a Jeep Cherokee, had a BlueOx baseplate...  Worked out fine.

Braking is a very good idea, and required in most (all?) states...  Since my MH has air brakes I used the M&G system...

Thanks, Joe

konehd said:
Which baseplate are you using?

Roadmaster XL style. I chose that one because they looked the sturdiest (at least for 2002, the ones for the new style Avs might be different.) All the other brands just bolted on in place of the tow hooks. The Roadmaster ones did the same, but have an extra arm that extends to an extra bolt position below the engine. I figured the extra bracing would be a good thing.

Since my MH has air brakes I used the M&G system...

That was my close second choice. I was a little concerned that there is no adjustability of braking force to balance between the MH and Av. The US Gear system has a control box in the MH cab that works exactly like an electric brake controller: you can adjust the braking force, and there is a manual activation lever as well. I wired it into a single umbilical along with the brake/running lights, so I only have the one plug to connect, the only extra effort required while hooking up is to clip on the break-away switch. I'm happy with my choice, but there are plenty of systems that work well.

-- SS

Thanks for all the information gang. This seems to be a great group and some very knowledgeable members.  I was sure towing my avalanche 4 down was no problem as long as I had the 2 speed transfer case however I was not sure as to the miles registering. I have since learend it will not show miles as stated above. To answer shape shifter and all, I will be pulling with a 2007 Mandalay Coach. This coach is rated at 10,000 lb tow rating. Using a blue ox avanta 10,000 hitch and blue ox base plate. I will use the M&G brake unit for diesels. Thanks again for the help and have a blessed day. Sully.......

ohiobellboy said:
I sent a PM to ShapeShifter about this thread. He tows his all the time. He'll chime in once he has a chance.

Thanks for the post OBB I'm a tower not a towee.  :laugh:

My god SS has a house on wheels.

MS03 2500 said:
Thanks for the post OBB I'm a tower not a towee.  :laugh:

I go both ways.  >:D One of these days, I want to hook my Av up to the motorhome, then hook the trailer to the back of the Av. I'd never actually pull that freight train, but it would make an interesting picture.  :cool:

My god SS has a house on wheels.

It's comfortable, and it's a nice way to hit the road. I used to think the Av was great for road trips, but now I'm spoiled -- there is simply no comparison. That's one of the reasons for rigging up the Av to be towed, because now I start to cramp up after driving the Av for more than a couple hours, where I can spend all day in that big leather captains chair behind the wheel of the motorhome.

While looking for that pic above, I found one of the drawbar hookup:

towbar.jpg

-- SS

I just got an 08 av.  I will be towing behind my motor home.  I have one question as I have read these threads along with the info in the owners manual, but do you leave the key on.  Everything I have read doesn't say what to do with the ignition.

Poormarky asked the same question at the FMCA clubs forum. (Family Motor Coach Assoc.)
Did that procedure Herman gave you work?

Dave

Back