• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

XM Satellite questions.

Mikes_Avalanche

Hello everyone,

Just joined today and bought my first Avalanche (200:cool: this past Saturday.  The only questions I have so far are relating to the the XM Satellite.

First off, is it true that all 2008 Avalanche's came standard with XM Satellite installed?  It's my understanding that I can get a free trial period of XM Satellite however I'm unable to get to the radio ID on Channel 0.  Whenever I press the Band button the only choices I have are AM and FM.  When I press the CAT button, I get a message saying "XM Function only"

If all 2008's came standard with XM then is the satellite antenna separate from the OnStar antenna or or they both intigrated into one, because I don't have a separate Satellite antenna anywhere on the roof.

I'm really enjoying the truck so far, coming from a 2004 Hummer H2 I'm also enjoying the increase in fuel economy too! 

Any help I can get with setting up the XM Satellite would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

First welcome to CAFCNA and congrats on the AV

Look in your glove box on the door will be a sticker that list 3 letter RPO codes for every thing on your vehicle.  U2K is XM Sat. radio

Here is a link to all the codes for 2007 and up, you can check to see what your AV came with...
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,96887.msg1536768.html#msg1536768

GoNavy429 said:
First welcome to CAFCNA and congrats on the AV

Look in your glove box on the door will be a sticker that list 3 letter RPO codes for every thing on your vehicle.  U2K is XM Sat. radio

Here is a link to all the codes for 2007 and up, you can check to see what your AV came with...
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,96887.msg1536768.html#msg1536768

Nope no U2K.  I guess I misunderstood that XM was standard on all 2008 Avalanches.  I'll have to have a talk with the dealer, the truck was advertised as having XM Satellite radio in it.  Why is it then that in the list it says that XM was standard on the 2008s?

Mike

Very odd, I have never heard of one not having Sat radio.  The standard is am/fm/cd/mp3 and XM satellite player, the option basically bumps it to six cd instead of single or to the bose system.  I have a 2008 LS it came with the premium sound system (one step below bose) and the six cd it has AM/FM/MP3 and XM sat. as well.  I have one shark fin on the roof drivers side, the OnStar ant is in the headliner (not visible), and the AM/FM ant on the passenger side (use too have did a mod to get rid of that one).  Maybe someone swapped out the radio, does it look like the stock radio (pic below).  Possible that it may need to be programed, I have never not had a subscription since I have had the AV, bought it new, so have no idea if the band select drops the option with no XM subscription or not... let us know.

radio.jpg

GoNavy429 said:
Very odd, I have never heard of one not having Sat radio.  The standard is am/fm/cd/mp3 and XM satellite player, the option basically bumps it to six cd instead of single or to the bose system.  I have a 2008 LS it came with the premium sound system (one step below bose) and the six cd it has AM/FM/MP3 and XM sat. as well.   I have one shark fin on the roof drivers side, the OnStar ant is in the headliner (not visible), and the AM/FM ant on the passenger side (use too have did a mod to get rid of that one).  Maybe someone swapped out the radio, does it look like the stock radio (pic below).   Possible that it may need to be programed, I have never not had a subscription since I have had the AV, bought it new, so have no idea if the band select drops the option with no XM subscription or not... let us know.

radio.jpg

Yes the radio you have posted is the same as the one in my truck, and I have the "shark fin" antenna on the roof, I thought that was the OnStar antenna.  There must be something that is either not programmed right or something not working.  I'm not sure what the next step should be, or if XM will be able to help me out if I give them a call.

Mike

I would give them a call, might just be with no subscription the radio just removes the option.  But if you have that radio it is XM ready.  Shark fin and the cat button pretty much confirms XM sat ready.  lol...wouldn't  say it was an xm function when you hit cat if you didn't have XM....Not having the U2k RPO might be for the free 3 month thing.  Don't know for sure. I have a vehicle Info sheet on my AV listing the RPO codes here it what the radio section says

UK3 - STEERING WHEEL RADIO CONTROLS  
UQ3 - ENHANCED AUDIO SPEAKERS  
US9 - AM/FM STEREO W/MP3 FORMAT COMPATIBLE 6-DISC CD CHANGER (REPLACES STD/OPT RADIO)  
U2K - XM SATELLITE RADIO - SERVICE FEE EXTRA. 1ST 3 MONTHS INCL.  

This sheets has the same RPO codes as the glove box sticker, but with the descriptions.

Also did you see this thread, might be of more help
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,116946.0.html

GoNavy429 said:
I would give them a call, might just be with no subscription the radio just removes the option.  But if you have that radio it is XM ready.  Shark fin and the cat button pretty much confirms XM sat ready.  lol...wouldn't  say it was an xm function when you hit cat if you didn't have XM....Not having the U2k RPO might be for the free 3 month thing.  Don't know for sure. I have a vehicle Info sheet on my AV listing the RPO codes here it what the radio section says

UK3 - STEERING WHEEL RADIO CONTROLS 
UQ3 - ENHANCED AUDIO SPEAKERS 
US9 - AM/FM STEREO W/MP3 FORMAT COMPATIBLE 6-DISC CD CHANGER (REPLACES STD/OPT RADIO) 
U2K - XM SATELLITE RADIO - SERVICE FEE EXTRA. 1ST 3 MONTHS INCL. 

This sheets has the same RPO codes as the glove box sticker, but with the descriptions.

Thanks for all the replies.  Working 12 hour shifts I'll wait until my first day off on Thursday and give XM a call.  I hope I can get this figured out as I'd love to get the XM working.

Mike

I wonder if a previous owner had an after market radio installed at one time. And then removed it when they traded it in. And in doing that either left out the XM module, or may have just left it unplugged.

old skool said:
On the 2007 it is under the dash next to glove box.

Well I dropped down the glovebox and took a look and don't see anything up there that looks like it might be the XM box. (although I'm not quite sure what it looks like, I did take a picture but I don't know how to attach the image here)

It's looking more and more like either the truck was ordered without it or it has been removed.

Mike

XM 2007

Attachments

• xm07.png
    xm07.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 123
MS03 2500 said:

Well after looking under the dash, behind the glove box (in the pouring rain I might add) I can't find anything in there that looks like this picture.  If XM was standard on the 2008 and the accessory sticker in the glovebox doesn't show the code for it, then this must be one of the rare 2008 that were special ordered without it.  I don't even see the wires that would plug into the unit if it was there.  Such is my luck.

Mike

Well just got off the phone with GM.  They ran the VIN and this truck never had satellite in it.  They even said XM Satellite wasn't standard on the 2008, even though everything i have read said it was.  Well, is there any aftermarket products anybody can suggest that would work well to get XM in the truck?

Mike

You beat me to it, XM was not standard in the 08. However there is a kit GM sells to add it.

True they have a new system all in the rear view mirror 600 bucks. It will be out this summer at bestbuy.

Any UNactivated xm radios are ACTIVE for the weekend, not sure about Sirius, give it a shot (y)

I actually activated the 14 day free trial on my Blackberry.  Add that to my FM transmitter and I've now got XM in my truck.  After the 14 day trial it's $7.95/month so not a bad deal at all and I can take XM with me.

Mike

MS03 2500 said:
True they have a new system all in the rear view mirror 600 bucks. It will be out this summer at bestbuy.

That's onstar.

Back