• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Tiregate/Hitchgate... any one with experience/pictures on an AV?

old-chevy-dude

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this along with my lift.

my goal for my Avalanche is to set it up for mild off-roading and camping.. 

I have never been a fan of the spare being in the roof rack, and I came across the hitchgate, which I think is a perfect solution for me, as it is removable for street use..    the long jack and axe/shovel will be mounted on my roof rack/basket but the spare and the jerry cans in the hitchgate would be perfect.

any input would be helpful before I make a final decision, I ask because I have already had some issues with the company answering emails, and though they are local to me, lack of communication bothers me, but as far as I can tell they are the only company making this.

http://www.tiregate.com/hg_series_0.shtml

hg_05.jpg

hg_06.jpg

hg_07.jpg

mainphpg2_viewcore.jpg

mainphpg2_viewcore-1.jpg

I have no experience with that but I really think its cool looking!
If you get it,please post some pictures!

You know i thought the same thing too...although i've seen them on racks i think i'd just be a hasstle once you actually received a flat and now had to climb up there and take it down...i have yet to see anyone do it this way but IMO i think its a good option the only thing is is that it appears that the bumper will have to be replaced perhaps with a beefier bumper (which i'm all for :D) and if i was a choosing person i'd like the one the is equipt, or can be equipt, with locations for 5 gallon gas tanks and the jack.

bmorris said:
You know i thought the same thing too...although i've seen them on racks i think i'd just be a hasstle once you actually received a flat and now had to climb up there and take it down...i have yet to see anyone do it this way but IMO i think its a good option the only thing is is that it appears that the bumper will have to be replaced perhaps with a beefier bumper (which i'm all for :D) and if i was a choosing person i'd like the one the is equipt, or can be equipt, with locations for 5 gallon gas tanks and the jack.

this attaches to the hitch, not the bumper, no need to change your bumper, and it comes off when we are not off-roading, I don't haul it for daily driving..

the hitch has a worm gear locking system so it locks in and it doesn't shake or rattle, my 280 pound fat ass can climb on it and it is sturdy as hell.

the only draw back is my back up sensors are blocked with it in, but I am working on a relocation quick fix for that, my idea is to buy 4 new sensors and the wiring, install them in the hitchgate, then when I install it, unplug my bumper ones and plug in the hitchgate ones.

1Fastrider said:
Did you ever pick this one up? I'm considering it.

yup, they are in Santa Ana as I recall, I have had it for several months, only used it a 1/2 dozen times..  it is in storage right now as we are buying a new house, I don't currently have wasy access to it, else i'd offer to bring it by for you..

I'll offer my side of this.
I installed a singing spare tire on the back of my last truck. It was nice and handy to pack the spare for sure. After a while opening it to have access to the tail gate becomes a pain. Removing it and only putting it on when "offroading" is an option, but that too loses the luster after a while. Pulling a trailer or hauling a dirt bike becomes truly a test of ingenuity.
I decided on this truck that a swing away spare on the back was not an option. I did stow mine up top. I buy and maintain good tires and can not remember the last flat I personally had. That said, if I don't carry the spare, that will be when I find myself needing one.

I think the receiver mount hitch/spare is a great idea. At least if you change your mind it is easily reversible.

Cons: Hitch mount. It will rock and roll offroad. A good tension based hitch pin will help the stock attachment.
Cost! Wow those are expensive.

HenryJ said:
I'll offer my side of this.
I installed a singing spare tire on the back of my last truck. It was nice and handy to pack the spare for sure. After a while opening it to have access to the tail gate becomes a pain. Removing it and only putting it on when "offroading" is an option, but that too loses the luster after a while. Pulling a trailer or hauling a dirt bike becomes truly a test of ingenuity.
I decided on this truck that a swing away spare on the back was not an option. I did stow mine up top. I buy and maintain good tires and can not remember the last flat I personally had. That said, if I don't carry the spare, that will be when I find myself needing one.

I think the receiver mount hitch/spare is a great idea. At least if you change your mind it is easily reversible.

Cons: Hitch mount. It will rock and roll offroad. A good tension based hitch pin will help the stock attachment.
Cost! Wow those are expensive.

it doesn't move during off-roading..  it has a "Wedge Lock" a type of worm gear lock that tighens after installing it into the receiver and it doesn't move, even with my 285 pound fat ass jumping on it..  there is no rattling or vibration.  For what it is $600 isn't expensive IMO, a suitable replacment bumper with the same features but not removable for daily driving would cost 2 - 3 times as much..

Don't get me wrong. If I didn't need to haul bikes, or pull a trailer lots, I might have one too. :)
I'd likely build my own and save some $$. The hitch rack is nice in that it can be removed if needed. I feel the same way about my hitch mounted winches in place of bumper or trailer mounted winches.

HenryJ said:
Don't get me wrong. If I didn't need to haul bikes, or pull a trailer lots, I might have one too. :)
I'd likely build my own and save some $$. The hitch rack is nice in that it can be removed if needed. I feel the same way about my hitch mounted winches in place of bumper or trailer mounted winches.

we haul our bikes without issue, as the relocated hitch receiver allows for using a hitch bike rack though it is annoying to have to remove it to swing away the tire to access the bed.  though I had no issue swinging the tire away with a trailer attached.

old-chevy-dude said:
we haul our bikes without issue, as the relocated hitch receiver allows for using a hitch bike rack though it is annoying to have to remove it to swing away the tire to access the bed.  though I had no issue swinging the tire away with a trailer attached.
Cool. I'd love to see a picture :)
Trailer attached , tailgate down and motorcycles in the back. I had to build a special tailgate to do that with mine. I really didn't want the tire carrier hanging out to the side and interfering on a turn.
I'd love to see how it has been working for you though. You might just change my mind.
How much tongue weight do you have on the rack hitch and what trailer do you pull?

I should have read this thread earlier. With my spare riding in my bed due to the location of my train horns this looks like a viable option.

I recently bought a tiregate/Hitchgate and I love it. You can still tow 6500 with the receiver that comes with the Tiregate/Hitchgate . I,ll have to get back to you about the tongue weight capacity. Steve

mcschreddy said:
I recently bought a tiregate/Hitchgate and I love it. You can still tow 6500 with the receiver that comes with the Tiregate/Hitchgate . I,ll have to get back to you about the tongue weight capacity. Steve
  :nopics:  >:D someone had to

ok i agreee i wanna see a avy with this!! i was thinking about when i make a rear bumper building one on it for when i got off roading for my water and extra gas would be nice  :nopics:

Back