• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

LS2 engine conversion

geokathy

I am thinking of converting to an LS2 engine in my 2002 Avalanche.  Has anyone tried this?  If so what obstacles can I expect to encounter?  I realize i will need to purchase a new wiring harness but what else? :help:

I have an LS2 iron block from an '05 GTO, but it has been seriously worked.  It will bolt right up for you and you just need a new tune (Nelson or Black Bear).  If you go to my websight you can read all about my build.  I did more than just an engine swap, but you will need to beef things up as well, not to the extent that I did, though.  Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Look a few threads down....There is a guy who did an LS1 (very similar platform).  He has a lot of good info.

I'm reviving this from long, long dead and buried...

First, geokathy, are you still around and did you ever make it happen?

I'm deployed overseas right now. But plotting, planning, and dreaming a bit. I think the LS2 makes alot of sense. First the new blocks are a deal at just a few hundred dolars more than an LQ9. They're in the nieghborhood of 100 lbs lighter, open up nearly infinite head choices, and even relocate the knock sensor outboard.
https://sdparts.com/details/gm-performance-parts/12568950
I can even reuse the 5.3 crank, rods, accessories, and a few other hard parts.

So do tell, who's done it already?

I'm surprized nobody has any input on the idea. I've done a lot of research and unless you're going to run a lot of boost, it seems the light weight and better block out weigh the need for iron.

what do the experts think? :wave:

Should be doable.  If you reuse the 5.3's crank you don't have to change computers or otherwise deal with the different reluctor wheel on the crank.

enoniam said:
Should be doable.  If you reuse the 5.3's crank you don't have to change computers or otherwise deal with the different reluctor wheel on the crank.

Yeah I figured that.
And I figure flat top pistons on my rods if I stay budget. Then theres the Head and Cam question; I'm really between TFS220s or LS3s for heads and I think I'm at least interested in Tooley for a cam.
I'm open to everyones suggestions and why....

Back