• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

iPhone in place of iPod in 2011 Avy with Navigation System

Bob A.

Nav system (2011) manual lists 6 iPod models for which compatibility is claimed for playing music.  Since an iPhone has an iPod app, I tried it.  I find that when the iPod app is up, that the nav system will find it and initially works and sounds very well.  However, after a short while, I find that the iPhone is quite warm either because of working too hard or charging too hard.

I've tried using thumb drives with music files but after about 10 tries to find a configuration that isn't a headache, I gave up.  I'm thinking that I'll just grab up the cheapest iPod I can find to carry music if it is not going to be a headache.

Can anyone using an iPod provide any feedback about this problem?

Thanks for any help.

Bob A.

ipod and iphone and the OEM nav system SUCK..

my AV (2010 LTZ) has been in 4 (and going back Tuesday for #5) times for ipod / nav issues. 

I have an ipod touch 3rd Gen with O/S 4.2.1 (as recommend by GTAC Engineers).

the ipod has popping and click sounds during playback (sounds like an old LP record)

it hangs and freezes the nav and only a key cycle will after unplugging the ipod will unlock the unit.

it appears to freeze the unit regardless of whether it is the ipod being used for playback or not (had it happen listening to XM radio with ipod plugged in)

if the ipod is plugged in when I start the vehicle it locks up the nav.

--

I have tried, Ipod video Gen 5.5, ipod touch gen 2, gen 3 and gen 4 and they all have the same issues.

I have had my usb module, nav unit, onstar and bluetooth unit all replaced based on this ongoing issue..  Now a GM engineer is involved and will be looking at my AV come Tuesday.

--

flash drive works without issue.. 

what I have done is to create several dozen playlists in itunes..  then make folders on the flash drive with the same name as the playlists..  put the songs in the playlist in the order I want them, then drag and drop from itunes to the flash drive.

the flash drive has no search ability like the ipod as it does not have an O/S or Database ability, however the GM unit does read the flash drive in the order in which the songs were copied to the drive, so if you select all in itunes in the order you want them, then drag and drop, they go onto the flash drive in that order..

--

but overall ipod and GM integration SUCK, and is at minimum 3 years behind competitors products. (didn't have this issue with my Chrysler, or my wifes Toyota, and when I was test driving Acura and Ford vehicle ipod was plug and play without issue.  also GM claims that unless your are running O/S 4.2.1 it is your ipod that is the issue not their product, they only support 4.2.1 nothing before and nothing after.

Hi Dude,

This is the other old Chevy dude, Bob A.

Thanks Much for the update.  I have had a lot of run away problems with the flash drive.  One song will play but more than that seem to put it into a loop from which it cannot recover.  I was really impressed with how well my iPhone worked for about 5 minutes.  The information all populated the nav screen and I could go back and forth choosing various songs and everything worked better than expected.  But before long, I was in fear for the iPhone as it was hotter than it has ever been while in normal use.

My guess is that the audio power amp in the iPhone is running flat out to drive the audio input in the nav system.  This would have the effect of lowering the opportunity for interference as the iPhone looks like a lower impedance device.  This would also server the dual purpose of shifting the problem to someone else.

I'm wondering whether you ever used any iPod for more than a few minutes (still curious about whether it has overheating problem).

Best Regards,

Bob A.

i'm not using an iphone, just an ipod touch and it doesn't get hot..  i'm more inclined to believe it is the charging of the battery that is causing the iphone to get hot and not the playback of music. Iphones have some different charging requirements than the ipods.

my ipod will run for hours without issue, or fail in 10 minutes, it's not consistant, howver the popping and clicking is VERY consistant, and since it doesn't do it using the 2.5MM jack on the front of the unit, and it does do it with several different ipod devices, we know it is the GM head unit, not the ipod.

Well the reason that I don't think that it is caused by charging is because I charge the phone when I'm not carrying it.  So it was fully charged and it never gets warm due to charging.  If I talk for a half hour or so, it does get warm at the top rear so I'm assuming that there is heat sinking there for the high power stuff.  Since it is doing the same thing while connected to the USB port, I assumed that it was the audio power amp making the heat.

I'm going to go connect it to the port and leave the iPod app off to determine if it still gets warm.

More Later,

Bob A.

Did another trial for about 35 minutes.  First 5, the radio was off and the phone was charging, no problem.  Started engine and turned on radio and it immediately went into iPod mode and began playing. It had already connected and read the phone even with the radio turned off.  Played for another 15 minutes with engine running then turned engine off.  Went about 10 more with it off.

It got luke warm but not like before, worked fine with no noises or weird beheavior.  Checked OS version on iPhone and it is 4.2.1 as you mentioned.  I'm thinking that it is time to look for a simple iPod.

Please let me know how your repair effort goes.

Bob A.

Back