• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

No cruise but light on steering wheel is on! Here's the fix.

welderguy1

Hello all,
I found my answer to my cruise problem on the forum and just want to say its alot cheaper than taking it to the garage.
I lost my cruise on my 2008 Avalanche Z71 and was very frustrated. The lighted cruise button on my steering wheel would light up but no cruise. After some research this appears to be a regular problem with gm trucks. The brake light switch seems to be the culprit. There are two sets of contacts in the switch one being for the brake lights (which worked fine on my truck) and the 2nd to deactivate the cruise. I purchased my switch at GM Canada and it was 30 bucks. It is very easy to get out and only took me six minutes to remove and replace. Only one bolt and out she came. On the road and bingo cruise was back. I took the old switch apart and sure enough one set of contacts was seized closed. Well I hope this helps somebody else out.

Great info, but FYI rockauto has the switch for $2.99 clearance, and around $9 for AC delco...

hopefully this will fix my intermediate cruise problem

rob

The AC delco part # is D1539J.  i got mine for $9.21 from rockauto and like yours mine was intermittant.  The brake lights were fine, but the side that does the cruise also does the trailer brakes and i drug my trailer for 500 miles off and on not knowing it.

easy fix under the dash, just the wires to unplug and a quick release clip holding it on..

rob

Thanks to the OP for this!!  fixed my problem...

Thanks for the info. I recently discovered the same problem on my 2008 Z71. The cruise control would only work intermittently if I banged on the switch or the pedal. Also the brake lights would not come on until the pedal was nearly all the way down.

I replaced the brake switch with GM Part #25981009, and now the cruise and lights both work properly. Easy fix.  (y)

welderguy1 said:
Hello all,
I found my answer to my cruise problem on the forum and just want to say its alot cheaper than taking it to the garage.
I lost my cruise on my 2008 Avalanche Z71 and was very frustrated. The lighted cruise button on my steering wheel would light up but no cruise. After some research this appears to be a regular problem with gm trucks. The brake light switch seems to be the culprit. There are two sets of contacts in the switch one being for the brake lights (which worked fine on my truck) and the 2nd to deactivate the cruise. I purchased my switch at GM Canada and it was 30 bucks. It is very easy to get out and only took me six minutes to remove and replace. Only one bolt and out she came. On the road and bingo cruise was back. I took the old switch apart and sure enough one set of contacts was seized closed. Well I hope this helps somebody else out.

Great post, that must be my problem. Glad it shouldn't be a big deal.. Thx

I've been having the same issue for the past couple of weeks.
Very irritating, especially on my trip back from Atlanta to Windsor and then on our weekend trip to Niagara Falls.

I replaced the old switch with GM Part #25981009, for 23 bucks Canadian @ the dealer. Replacement was a 10 minute fix.  (y)

Having the same problem with my 2007, but...

I bought the truck used two weeks ago. The cruise control worked all during the 200 mile drive home, but hasn't worked since. I replaced the brake light switch with one from gmpartsdirect.com. It did not fix the problem.

I took apart the old switch and there does not appear to be anything wrong with it. I've tried resetting the error code with my Predator (it just comes back) as well as disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

Any ideas or suggestions?

it's good to know this site still rocks and continues to helps out folks >:D

:welcome: to the family

Stackrat said:
Having the same problem with my 2007, but...

I bought the truck used two weeks ago. The cruise control worked all during the 200 mile drive home, but hasn't worked since. I replaced the brake light switch with one from gmpartsdirect.com. It did not fix the problem.

I took apart the old switch and there does not appear to be anything wrong with it. I've tried resetting the error code with my Predator (it just comes back) as well as disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

Any ideas or suggestions?

<humor>
Geez!  I mention I'm having problems here and nobody responds.  I put one sentence about this in a four paragraph post on a completely unrelated thread and three people jump in - making me look like the jerk for highjacking the other guy's thread!
</humor>

Anywhooo...

It keeps throwing the code: P0573 Brake Switch Circuit "A" High

Took apart the old switch and found nothing wrong with it, mechanically or electrically.  Took apart the new switch and found nothing wrong with it, mechanically or electrically.  I have even tested both sets of contacts for proper operation with a DMM while the switch was installed in the vehicle, both with and without the brakes applied. 

I actually have a third switch on order (the 2012+ design), but at this point, it would be Einstein's definition of insanity.  I've pretty much ruled out the switch as the cause.

I looked at the two connectors at the back corners going up to each of the tail lights.  The contacts looked good and clean.  I sprayed electrical cleaner in them and applied bulb grease just in case.  I did not disturb the ABS system under the vehicle (below the driver's seat) because I didn't see any of the wire colors I was interested in and I didn't want cause any additional problems.

I have searched the heck out of this site, and several others, to no avail.

Has anyone else had issues with the Cruise Control not working that WASN'T fixed by the brake switch replacement or otherwise posted about in any other thread on this site, to-date?

Does anyone have the circuit diagrams related to the Brake Switch, BCM and Taillights?

Thanks in advance...

Here ya go

Attachments

• p0573.png
    p0573.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 282
Can someone help me out with this problem.  I have the same issue but when I go to replace the switch the bolt is not a 10mm like in the video posted. Mine looks like a round bolt that's threaded on the inside.  I got the retaining clip off with no problem.

How do I get the bolt out?

Like I noted in the other thread about this issue..... a few simple kicks at the brake pedal and letting it fly back up clears up the sticky switch and cruise will work again for at least another year.

Stackrat said:
<humor>
Geez!  I mention I'm having problems here and nobody responds.  I put one sentence about this in a four paragraph post on a completely unrelated thread and three people jump in - making me look like the jerk for highjacking the other guy's thread!
</humor>

Anywhooo...

It keeps throwing the code: P0573 Brake Switch Circuit "A" High

Took apart the old switch and found nothing wrong with it, mechanically or electrically.  Took apart the new switch and found nothing wrong with it, mechanically or electrically.  I have even tested both sets of contacts for proper operation with a DMM while the switch was installed in the vehicle, both with and without the brakes applied. 

I actually have a third switch on order (the 2012+ design), but at this point, it would be Einstein's definition of insanity.  I've pretty much ruled out the switch as the cause.

I looked at the two connectors at the back corners going up to each of the tail lights.  The contacts looked good and clean.  I sprayed electrical cleaner in them and applied bulb grease just in case.  I did not disturb the ABS system under the vehicle (below the driver's seat) because I didn't see any of the wire colors I was interested in and I didn't want cause any additional problems.

I have searched the heck out of this site, and several others, to no avail.

Has anyone else had issues with the Cruise Control not working that WASN'T fixed by the brake switch replacement or otherwise posted about in any other thread on this site, to-date?

Does anyone have the circuit diagrams related to the Brake Switch, BCM and Taillights?

Thanks in advance...

Welcome to forums.  I'm actually amazed someone found a solution to a problem and posted it.

Usually the threads dead-end with "figured it out" and nothing more.

PromptCritical said:
... Usually the threads dead-end with "figured it out" and nothing more.

If that much.

:rolleyes:

Purchased a 2011 Suburban 2500 and Cruise did not work, but trailer lights and brake lights worked flawlessly. Purchased the AC Delco specific part from Rock Auto and it took me about 10 minutes to change it out.  Hardest thing was just bending to get under the steering wheel, but was definitely an easy fix.  Cost $12 with shipping.  Thanks to the OP for the fix.

I have a 2008 avalanche 4wd 5.3l LT and ran into the same issues with my cruise control. I had bought the replacement part from Autozone for $20 and swapped it with the original (broke) part and was ready to roll. Once I turned my truck on a bunch of messages came up; service stabilitrak, traction control off, ABS icon,and check engine icon, I also could not shift my truck into gear from park. Once I disconnected the part, the truck was running like it had before with no error codes or problems shifting. I went back to autozone and tried three different parts to make sure I didn't receive a defective one. I leave for Florida (from Ohio) this Friday and am looking to have cruise control for the ride. Has anyone else had this issue? Is it my computer rejecting for some reason? Do I need to purchase the part from a GM dealer? Thank you for the help and time guys.

bstepp39 said:
I have a 2008 avalanche 4wd 5.3l LT and ran into the same issues with my cruise control. I had bought the replacement part from Autozone for $20 and swapped it with the original (broke) part and was ready to roll. Once I turned my truck on a bunch of messages came up; service stabilitrak, traction control off, ABS icon,and check engine icon, I also could not shift my truck into gear from park. Once I disconnected the part, the truck was running like it had before with no error codes or problems shifting. I went back to autozone and tried three different parts to make sure I didn't receive a defective one. I leave for Florida (from Ohio) this Friday and am looking to have cruise control for the ride. Has anyone else had this issue? Is it my computer rejecting for some reason? Do I need to purchase the part from a GM dealer? Thank you for the help and time guys.
Sounds like the polarity was reversed to me. Might be the switch you bought wasn't the right one or you plugged it in backwards. I hate saying that but it may be a possibility. You didn't change to LED tailights by chance did you? That could cause it if they don't have load equalizers on them.

No I haven't changed any of my lights on my truck. My right rear tail light went out (the one on the top) and I replaced it with the correct part. I returned the autozone switch I bought and got the suggested one, from the forum off of amazon, and plugged it in tonight and it still didnt work. I even plugged the old (broken) one back in and gave me the same error, I did nothing but replaced the switch and everything has gone weird after that.

Back