• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Whine from speakers as accelerating. Is it my amp?

hightower

Hey guys,

First off as listed I've got an '05 Z71.

I'm having a problem with a high pitched whine being emitted from my speakers.  Sometimes when I start the car it's there right away, screeching away at me.  It's a horrible noise and is undoubtedly being caused by something in the sound system.  If it's not apparent when I immediately start my truck, it starts when I hit a speed bump or pothole.  Also, the (short term) solution to make it stop that I've found is to smack the dashboard right above the radio.  I have to hit the dash pretty darn hard and sometimes it gets to the point where my hand will hurt cause I have to smack it that hard.  Obviously this isn't a very good solution.

Also, the whine seems to increase as I accelerate and the RPMs go up.  So I'm assuming the whine is increased as the voltage throughout the car increases.

Now I'm wondering what causes this?  I have an aftermarket ipod/mp3/XM-radio device installed in the dash.  I got it exclusively for the ipod connector which has now broken.  Could this be a problem?  I'm probably going to just remove the whole unit as I'm looking to sell my Avy soon for a more economical car.  However, I've been told it could be my amp.  Does this sound like a possibility.  I'm 19 years old but I'm definitely not the kind of person who drives around blasting my music.  I prefer to listen to music with the windows up and I almost never listen to the music past the half-way volume bar.

Oh and by the way I've got a factory Bose sound system if that helps.

Pleaser help me out.  Any advice is appreciated!!!

Does it do it with AM, FM and CD?

I would start by removing the aftermarket ipod/mp3/XM-radio device. While you are in there I would also check the factory wires.

ItsStopher said:
Does it do it with AM, FM and CD?

I would start by removing the aftermarket ipod/mp3/XM-radio device. While you are in there I would also check the factory wires.

Yes it whines with everything; CD, AM, FM, ipod (when it worked).  It doesn't occur when my sound system is turned off.

When I go home from college next weekend I'm going to dig around back there.  I already know how to get the radio out and the aftermarket device is directly behind the radio.

However, if I find out it's the amp I want to order it and fix it ASAP cause I'm hardly driving my Avy and want to sell it.

When mine does that it means the ground for my amp is getting funky

I go clean off the corrosion and put a fresh connector on the end of the wire and it gets much better.

Needs it every two years or so. 

NJ-Black-02-2500 said:
When mine does that it means the ground for my amp is getting funky

I go clean off the corrosion and put a fresh connector on the end of the wire and it gets much better.

Needs it every two years or so. 

How do I go about fixing this?  Which connector are you talking about?

I have an aftermarket amp.
Where that is wired to the chassis is what I clean up.

In your case do you have an external aftermarket amp?

NJ-Black-02-2500 said:
I have an aftermarket amp.
Where that is wired to the chassis is what I clean up.

In your case do you have an external aftermarket amp?

No it's the factory amp

OK...
In my experience the factory stuff doesnt usually whine....
My best guess is that its where you tied in that external Ipod connector....

check the grounds on that thing...also gererally check the connections....
If that doesn't do it try disconnecting it....

Good luck

NJ-Black-02-2500 said:
OK...
In my experience the factory stuff doesnt usually whine....
My best guess is that its where you tied in that external Ipod connector....

check the grounds on that thing...also gererally check the connections....
If that doesn't do it try disconnecting it....

Good luck

Okay will do.  I think you're right, it probably has to do with the converter. 
I should be doing it this weekend I hope.  I'll keep you updated NJ.  I greatly appreciate the help.

If anyone else has suggestions, please inform me!

Removed the system.  It was easy enough.  I have a 3 hour drive back to school tomorrow morning, that should tell me for sure if the noise is gone or not.  I'll keep y'all updated.

Also somewhat sad news, my Avy will probably be sold soon.  :cry:  200 miles too and from college a couple times a month doesn't do well for a truck as far as gas mileage goes.

Back