• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2010 Camaro Ram Air Scoop install w/ Pics on Factory 2002 Hood

Z66Modder

Regional Coord.
SM 2024
SM 2023
SM 2022
SM 2021
SM 2020
SM 2019
SM 2018
SM 2017
SM 2016
SM 2012
SM 2011
I always like the large single low profile hood scoops but only found the style I liked available on a full hood replacement. That was until I came across  an SLP 2010 Camaro hood scoop on Stylin Trucks site. They were too expensive so I googled the manufacturer's p/n (10005) and ordered it online for less than $150 delivered to my door.

It is attached with 3M tape but does have two studs on the front corners that you need to drill through the hood. This of course put them right at the support bars underneath with a 4 1/2" setback from the rear of the hood.  :E: So i cut a U in the supports and bent back the metal to get the rubber sealed nuts on the studs;bent them back & painted. I wanted to blend with the black cladding I had just painted so I made two large stripes by just masking the hood and sprayed with Gloss Black acrylic polyurethane.

I drilled out the fake grill to give it a honey-comb look as I knew I would make it active later. The later came 3 days later. I removed the hood and molded an collector box from fiberglass. I used a gutter drain extension as the air tube. I cut 3" circle hole and joined them. mounted the box with black rtv and door molding insulation and drilled and screwed.

Attachments

• 1 mask n paint.jpg
    1 mask n paint.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 737
  • 2 waiting for pinstripes.jpg
    2 waiting for pinstripes.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 736
  • 3 Top View with logo _no pinstries yet.jpg
    3 Top View with logo _no pinstries yet.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 737
  • 4 Drilling Holes.jpg
    4 Drilling Holes.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 734
  • 5 Test fit box ans tubes.jpg
    5 Test fit box ans tubes.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 732
The tube lays just on top of my CAI box, but the top is still open. My next step is to make a vented cover for the CAI box. When I fabricated the collector box, I used half of a plastic paint tray as a basic mold. I forgot the fiberglass resin get hot when curing and caused the mold to dip in the middle. This was actually a benefit as it left more room to clear the engine intake. I also bent the cover plate to match to keep as much distance as possible.  The next to last picture show the grill with a flash light inserted in the air tube to show how the vent holes line up.

Attachments

• 6 Mounted and ready to test fit.jpg
    6 Mounted and ready to test fit.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 726
  • 7 Installed.jpg
    7 Installed.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 724
  • 8 Grill view of holes.jpg
    8 Grill view of holes.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 723
  • Done.jpg
    Done.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 727
The picture of the air tube close up is not the way it turned out. The tube was dumping air on the  CAI filter hose clamp, so I had to cut it back all the way to the end where I folded and terminated the tube with hot glue and rtv.

Now that's some talent. Great work !!  (y)

Only question I have about it though, are you worried about sucking water in your filter during heavy rains? White Buffalo recently had a bad experience with his Volant is why I ask.

I like it.  

I have been thinking about something like that for my Dmaxalanche but to turn it around to vent the heat

ohiobellboy said:
Now that's some talent. Great work !!  (y)

Only question I have about it though, are you worried about sucking water in your filter during heavy rains? White Buffalo recently had a bad experience with his Volant is why I ask.

Yes I am.  I plan on making a stainless steel deflector that will hopefully deflect water but still allow air to flow around it into the CAI.

Are you planning on doing a sealed adapter o the CAI? You could get some boost at over 50mph if you can seal the airway all the way from that ram to the CAI...

I plan on sealing the top with a custom fiberglass lid. Was not worried about closing the bottom. Maybe in a dry environment like next summer I may look at something completely sealed, but the rainy season just started and will go 6 months.

Thanks Doug. New 13" slotted and dimpled front rotors and 900 calipers go in today. Then we will see about updating my HP Tune.

Very cool!

Im toying with doing a sealed box at my Spectre CAI, where it would draw air from behind the bumper. Its just a matter of making it look nice. Id have to shorted my Spectre Aluminum tube a few inches, and mount the MAF sensor to whatever sealed box I make, then have the CAI filter attach to the inside of the box.

My main concern with any sealed scoop is water, but Ive been thinking of some ways to deal with that using a sump well that would drain once water accumulated.

At highway speeds, if you can get a truly sealed system, you can achieve boost at times, and the rest of the time it running at no resistance (basically zero vacuum in front of the throttle.) The performance benefits would be awesome.

Thanks for the pics and updates, Nice job! And Ballllllzy for cutting those holes in the hood! :)

Z66Modder said:
I plan on sealing the top with a custom fiberglass lid. Was not worried about closing the bottom. Maybe in a dry environment like next summer I may look at something completely sealed, but the rainy season just started and will go 6 months.

it came out nice  :love:

where does rain water settle?

normally these things have like a ditch inside to collect water and let drain out before it gets to filter and soaks it...

ygmn said:
where does rain water settle?

normally these things have like a ditch inside to collect water and let drain out before it gets to filter and soaks it...

The closest point of the opening (where the most water would collect) dumps on top of the CAI filter's connection tube and deflects down and on the ground. The end of the opening dumps air directly on the filter. It rained all day today and I drove it deer hunting. You can see hours in the rain and the filter is bone dry. After looking at the last pic, I think I will open up the far end almost completely.

Attachments

• Rainy Day.jpg
    Rainy Day.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 555
  • Dry Filter.jpg
    Dry Filter.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 554
  • Closing the hood.jpg
    Closing the hood.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 554
I know it's working for you, but I would find a way to attach drain lines to the bottom of the box then run the lines with the hood ground strap to the ground.

MS03 2500 said:
I know it's working for you, but I would find a way to attach drain lines to the bottom of the box then run the lines with the hood ground strap to the ground.

(y)

Yeah I still love the Mod.

Thanks.

I cutout the plastic grill in the scoop and left it open. If i can find a ss or chrome grill with very large holes to cut to shape, I will replace it.

The weather is too cold to start the custom air box.  :E:

I'm still not done with the new grill insert. Maybe now that we have good weather I can.

Back