• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2007 Chevy Avalanche Tailgate WON'T OPEN!!!

dav31280

I just recently purchased a 2007 Avy and In open the tailgate a few times and seemed to be fine.  I noticed that it was not locking when I locked all the doors.  I purchased some Mothers Back to Black to fix my cladding on the bed cover and I went to open the tailgate and nothing happened!!  I feels like a car door when it is locked and you pull the handle (really light easy pull, not catching anything.)  I hit the unlock button and nothing. 

Any ideas?  emergency release from the inside,  is there a fuse that could be out,  can i climb through the inside?

Thanks !!!

I'm having the same problem!  I have checked the fuses, power to the tailgate, etc.  There is no noise of the electronic lock even trying to unlock.  I was quoted $700 to fix it  :E:  Nobody on here seems to have an answer on doing it yourself.  This is a BS design from Chevy and their engineers!  They should of put a manual release inside the cab and an access panel to this actuator. :beating:

I suspect either your actuator has failed or has become disconnected from the lock mechanism. Not sure if it has changed since 2005, but on mine I could reach in with a long flat bladed screwdriver and flip the locking arm manually. Peek in there with a flashlight - if you can see the arm, you should be able to push it manually.

'Reach in' needs a little explanation; look near the handle from outside the truck. On mine I can see into the guts of the tailgate with a flashlight. 

Thanks Naylor, I have tried looking at the mechanics from the handle and couldn't get anything to release to allow me to pull the two bars towards each other.  I'm not sure how hard Chevy makes this for security reasons.

Ok, my 07LTZ tailgate is closed and won't unlock.  I have done lots of searching on the web and not found any real answers on how to get the sucker opened up so I can attempt a repair.  Help???

Fold down your back seat, open the mid gate and climb in the bed and unlatch the rear panel so you can remove the screws on the inside of the tailgate that hold the bezel so you access the handle.

Good luck

Randy

Randy said:
Fold down your back seat, open the mid gate and climb in the bed and unlatch the rear panel so you can remove the screws on the inside of the tailgate that hold the bezel so you access the handle.

Good luck

Randy

Do as Randy has stated. Also, on the 2nd gen you can remove a panel on the inside of the TG which should give you access to the actuator and latch assembly.

Randy said:

Good luck

Randy

I tried that however, the latch tab handles on the rear
cover hit the tailgate before they are unlocked.  Crazy
design if you ask me.  Great for security but hell for service!

Unlatch all three panels (might only have to do 2&3) and push up i tried this right after i got my truck to see if it would lift the panels off with the tailgate closed and it does ... just a little maneuvering on 3 lift slowly so you dont break the latches (y)

I should have said panels, you have to play with them a little to get them loose. You might be able to remove the latches also.

They can unlock without taking them apart ... That's why they paint the glow in the dark tips on them those handles from what I have seen are pretty spendy to replace if you can find them without a cover

any solution to this problem guys? I have a 07 LTZ last fall my tailgate and reverse camera all lost power. I found a broken wire between my tailgate and body where it constantly bends. my tailgate now wont lock or unlock but my back up camera works. im going to take it apart again and go right to where I made my earlier repair.ill let you know if that's where my problem is. hope this can help. let me know if anyone else has a answer!

thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF1-c-ZsX2w

This guy does a pretty good step by step on how he fixed his.

If you try to open the tailgate when it is locked or if you hit the remote unlock button while holding the tailgate handle up, the tailgate lock mechanism sometimes gets stuck in a state that will not allow the tailgate to unlock. When you lift the handle it doesn't do anything and you feel no resistance.

If tailgate will not unlock, start the vehicle, then lock and unlock the vehicle with the door lock switch. This seems to reset the tailgate lock mechanism.

billybatts said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF1-c-ZsX2w

This guy does a pretty good step by step on how he fixed his.

^ this only works on the 02-06. The 07+ handle bezel is all one piece with the tailgate spoiler :cautious:

Hey gang, new here and I hate to necro this thread but it is why I joined your forum. I have a 2007 and it has to be the worst piece of engineering I have seen. I bought my 07 used and the dealer sold it as-is. Everything else is REALLY great on the truck. It is low miles and runs beautifully so I gathered the latch would be an easy fix.

Now I have it home and ordered a new latch (he said it was just broke and just needed a new one). The issues I have seen looking this problem up are pretty bad. Main reason is Chevy decided that the 07 (as far as I can tell) was unique with regard to the tailgate. Most solutions out there say they cover 2004-2008 or something. Nope, the 07 does NOT have access to the 3 bolts from the inside.

Instead there are star bolts around the parameter of the plate that covers the entire tailgate. I do not know if there is supposed to be an electrical release somewhere I cant seem to find it. I managed to get a piece of string around the left pull release but there appears to not be one on the right.

Worst part is I took it to the dealer to ask them how I could remove it. They said the standard procedure from chevy was "smash the handle to get it out of the way, use a crowbar and snap it off"
Wow.

Any tips would be awesome because I NEED to access my bed and at the moment cannot.

Thanks!

GDomo said:
Any tips would be awesome because I NEED to access my bed and at the moment cannot.

Thanks!

You can always get in there thru the Midgate while you take your time to figure out how to repair...

Unless you need to drop tailgate to haul something.

This is what is different about the 07 that none of the guides online seem to cover. you cant get to the star bolts to undo so you can get to the back of the handle.
c0e11c250d05135b3b1131c87f9a1615.jpg

Every video guide, website they all show the older model where there were 3 star screws in the tailgate that allowed you to drop the handle. They seemed to think the handle would never corrode and the electrical release would always work.

You might have to pull the entire handle bezel/tailgate spoiler off. It is held on with a few clips and 2 sided tape. Then you can access the front of the handle and maybe reach in the tailgate to jump the lock wires with an aux 12v source. Just tossing ideas out there.

Thanks Blu_Fuz that is what I was thinking as well. I just need to re-tape it back down?

Yeah you will have to get the old tape off and apply new tape to it. Once you get it down you can remove the panel on the inside to remove the handle.

I did skim through some old threads and someone said that there is a bolt/nut that holds the bezel/spoiler to the tailgate that can only be removed from the back after you remove the plastic panel. But you wouldn't be able to access it because the tailgate is closed and you can't remove that plastic panel.

Yes, you will have to clean off the old 2-sided tape, re-apply new tape and probably some new clips because some of those will break too.

If you crawl in from the midgate and unlatch all of your panels (#3wont go all the way but it's close enough if I remember...) and push up on panel 2 they should squeeze out of there. I tried it once after I noticed the handles glow a couple years ago :rolleyes: it doesn't seem like it's very good on the panels but if you're in a pinch...

How hard is it to find a replacement skin? I could just take a cutter and cut away the plastic so I can get to the back of the handle. I did a cursory search and didn't see any skins. Anyone have a link for an enthusiast store?

Back