• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Custom Sub box center console...

highvelocity

I am fabricating a custom consle that will hold a "10 inch sub" firing down and ported.  I made the first cuts yesterday and I going to dry fit as I go...  The reason I am doing this is because I have 2 sub boxes with 10's now and they suck...it's great mid bass, but not enough air to dig deep.  With this design, measurments are allowing for 1.75 cubic ft of air space.  So plenty for porting.  And since it's in the center of the vehicle it should fill nicely...  

So my question is has someone already done this here, if so any suggestions???  

Thanks
 Ed

I have a 2005 Av with a flip up console, no thru AC...

Here are some pictures of the old box and the old one...  You can see how shallow and small the old one was...

Attachments

• center console2.jpg
    center console2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 650
  • center console3.jpg
    center console3.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 644
I found a few online, are but it seem like they are all low on air space.  I fired this one up last evening in my garage and it gets real low frquencies like I want but I think it going to need more power...150 watts isn't going to cut it I'm affraid.

This box is going to look great after I finish it with gray vinyl...not worried about that...I do upholstery on the side.

(y) Nice work! As for the question on the 12" woofer, if a 12" fits, I would absolutely do a 12" in there, even if I had to router the sides just a tad or modify the woofer frame a tad at the 2 sides.

Now its getting interesting! :)

Dave,
    I am stopping by Best Buy today to pick up the 12' and the Apline M500...I hope the wife doesn't see the boxes...lol. 

I'm not scared, I will break out the router and make it fit...

I put foam rubber in the long section and fired it back up, sounded much much stronger, I think I was loosing power with TOO much air space...how ironic...lol

Ed

Dave,,,my first impression is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's amazing the difference...!!!  I love the deep bass this sub puts out, very rich sound.  I need to order a bass knob today but other than that she's done...

Here's a few more picks...

Attachments

• console 15.jpg
    console 15.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 633
  • console 16.jpg
    console 16.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 631
  • console 17.jpg
    console 17.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 631
  • console11.jpg
    console11.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 641
  • console 12.jpg
    console 12.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 642
:eek: Dude...Thats Sick! Alpine Type R's friggin ROCK! what I use in my boat.

Be careful...you dont want to turn it up so loud you mess yourself!!! LOL J/K

I have been listening to it for a few days now, and even at lower volume levels it's a much better quality sound.  It will blurr your vision though and shake your guts, 12's are good stuff.  I think I am going to make a custom box tube for a 12 and put it in my boat too...

Ed

:D Blurred Vision! Ahhhh yes. This happens when I drive my GS300 sometimes....got (2) 12" Rockfords in that.

Maybe I need a 2nd Sub thats removable...My amp will go to 2 Ohms, and Im hardly pushing it right now...ideas Ideas.

Glad your much happier with this than the other boxes...the Alpine Type R is a beast...Ive personally compared Alpine Type R to Kicker Comps, Alpine TYpe S, Polk, and a few other subs when I was determining which sub for the Boat, the Type R rocked hands down better than the others.

I know there is some pro-grade stuff better than the Type R, but for the $200-$250 the TYpe R costs, you cannot get a better sub without spending at least twice per speaker.

Too bad my shallow mount wont allow! hehe

highvelocity said:
I have been listening to it for a few days now, and even at lower volume levels it's a much better quality sound.  It will blurr your vision though and shake your guts, 12's are good stuff.  I think I am going to make a custom box tube for a 12 and put it in my boat too...

Ed

this is exactly what I'm wanting to do in my Avy, glad to see somebody else built one to give me an idea.  I have the jumpseat as well and am thinking of going this route.  A couple things I'm thinking of doing is keep it shorter between the seats so I can mount the factory flip up armrest/console to the box.  Also I'd like to remove the flip down cupholder from the dash and have the box extend up to that area to tie it in, then get a cupholder insert out of a factory center console and put in.  I'm going to use a single 10" sub, and make it sealed, so should be able to get away with making a shorter box.

Just work the numbers, you may have room for a ported sub.  There is a lot of room available...I actually had to wall off the forward part of the box for both 10 or 12,, but I went with the 12...haha  and Dave agreed. It's awesome!  

Here's how you calculate, in case your not sure 12x12x12=1728  Divide this number into you box numbers.

For example 18x20x13=4680/1728= 2.7 cubic feet.  

I used Aplines guidlines for a vented box, and MAN o MAN the results are AWESOME!!!   Follow their port length too.

Hope this helps,
    Ed

thanks for the info.  I'm probably going to get started on mine in a couple of weeks.  Looking on ebay for a oem cupholder insert, and gotta get around to running to the hardware store and buying some mdf to actually get started.

Any chance you still have the box specs.  I have been wanting to build something like this but I haven't had time to pull the center console to get all the measurements.  I have an 06 Avalanche with the bose setup as well.

Sure,,,I can pull the measurements for ya.  You can tweak anyway you want.  I wound up with too much airspace with the original amount, so maybe just wall off the front section.  If I remember Alpine wanted about 2 or 2.5 Cu.Ft for their 12 inch Type R sub.  I did a 1 inch flat vent 22 inches long, so it was an upside down L-shape starting from the top going down the back creating an internal wall vent...  Not hard to do, just glue it and screw it...lol

It looks like the width is apporox 13 inches wide and height is 17 inches.  The bottom length before the notch for the carpet is apporox 19 inches.  The top plate before the down slope is approx 13 inches, you can figure the slope out form there...  The front section is approx 3 inches high and 14 inch length, as you can from the pictures I have the sides coming down an inch to act as legs, lifting the front over the carpet and making room for the rear vent.  Also, I did wind up using a block of 2x4 to help raise the back end.  It wasn't quite level and was blocking the vent.  So I just blocked it in front of the vent exit and used some wood glue to hold the block in place. 

Now here's a consideration for anyone trying to make this.  I am 6 foot 4 inches tall.  My wife is 6 foot.  This is perfect for "us".    You may and probably will tweak some of these measurements as some of them are personal preferences.  No matter what, you will have more than enough airspace available. 

You can se where the bottom is recessed and where I have to notch out for the bigger 12 inch sub, I originally had a 10' in mind.  Arizona-Dave provoked me....hahaha

Attachments

• console 17.jpg
    console 17.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 304
Could you build one that fits under your stock console? I know mine has abourt 5" of height and as long as the console. Did you look into this ro was you set on changine it from the begining?

Stan,
      Unfortunatly there would not be enough room under there to fit the woofer itself let alone a good size enclosure.  If you look at the manufacturers specs for a 12 inch type R sub, it calls for 2.0 to 2.4 cubic feet with 22 in port.  So I figured I would do it by the letter from their recomendation and I am glad I did.  Very happy with the result.  You have to be a bit of a craftsman to do it, but it's better than anything else I've tried that won't mess with the mid-gate.

Ed

Yeah I see now. I have looked into changing the rear seats to buckets like the front and having one console that goes from front to back. I was thinking I could fit a few subs under there.

I actually love that idea.  If you don't care about the mid-gate function, the sky is the limit.  You would have so much volume available you could wall it off and put 6x9s on the sides behind the front seats. You could leather wrap the sides and do a cool dark cherry wood top with like 6 coats of clear coat... I'm getting amped up thinking about it...hahaha. 

Yeah thinking I'm gonna find me two more bucket seat when I get home in a week and try this. If I don't like it I can always go back to what it is now.

Absolutley,  My factory consule is sitting in my garage wrapped in plastic.  If I ever sell the truck I can take an hour and swap it right back in...much better than hacking up the factory one and trying to make it into something it will never be...

Ed

How do you have the console in place so it's not flying around? I'm sure it has so,e good weight to it but did you bolt it down..?

I secured it to the front with two wire loops screwed to the box.  Then took heavy duty tie wraps and went around the metal supports under the dash.  This was just to keep it from sliding back, mine is butted going forward so it can't go that way.  As for side to side, the seats keep it centered.  Overall with the weight of it, and the front ties, it doesn't budge...

Back