• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Installing aftermarket sub into stock system

HOFFandGOLDMAN

Hello,

I am going to install an aftermarket sub into my 2009  :B: avalanche. I did have 2000  :B: silverado that i installed my subs amp and aftermarket deck into and i did it all myself. In the silverado it was easy because you just solder your wiring harness to new wires and clip it in, plug the rca cables into the deck and you are good to go. (in a nut shell, there are lots of other steps i left out) but in my avalanche i want to keep the stock deck and speakers and i am just going to install an aftermarket sub and amp. I am curious what is the step by step best way to attack this?

Do i buy a line converter and splice it into the speaker wire that i can plug the rca cables into? Or what way should i do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Logan

ALSO,

would anyone happen to know the dimensions for a sub box that would fit under the back seat in my year? I have a 12" kenwood sub. I dont want it take up the entire space under the back seat.

You've got it... under the center console (with your cup holders) is your factory amp.  You'll tap your LOC/inline converter into that location and run your RCA's to your amp.  Some people run their power wire through the grommet on the drivers side firewall... mine was installed by drilling a hole in the passengers side footwell (very simple, just use a grommet to keep water out).  The rest of your wiring should be straight forward.  I *had* to use a capacitor because my headlights were dimming like crazy.  I've never used one before and was skeptical at first... seems to have fixed my problem though. :)

Check out the link below for boxes. There is no room under the seat for a 12" sub. 8" or 10" only. These appear to be very good quality boxes, and prices are very reasonable.
http://caraudiofactory.com/-c-22_27_48.html?osCsid=c9a7d715bbc3f5ba644853205bf62abf

Has anyone ordered from the link posted above? Wouldn't mind having the single speaker enclosure that fits under the back seat on the drivers side for $79.00. Wondering about the quality.

Back