• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Chevrolet Avalanche 2009 <<Performance improvements>

Trovao

Hi
I got a chevy avalanche 2009, it runs good except that it has a delay reaction everytime i press the gas...

Looking for help on improvements i can do to the car to make it more " Powerfull " Anything to do with improvement on the car would be helpful, lets just say i would want him to be the most powerful 2009 avalanche in the country. What would i have to do to make that happen?

Thanks alot..

First welcome to the site.

Second, the AV is not a high performance vehicle so it means lots of money to become the high performance vehicle you are seeking.

That being said the big question for you is how much money can you spend? The more you spend the more performance you get.
The quest for becoming the highest performance AV in the country will mean lots of money will need to be spent.

In general you would have to get a bigger engine, supercharge or turbo it. Beef up the entire drivetrain so it could stand up to the torque. And of course an electronic tuner to get rid of the torque management system and rev limiter that comes from the factory to keep you from destroying your transmission. (May even want to install a manual transmission). You also need a good Cat back exhaust system and headers.

You may also need beefier suspension to handle the increased weight and power.

You should also consider larger/better brakes to handle stopping this heavy truck at higher speeds.

All of that performance will probably come at a compromise though since the more performance means more maintenance and may affect every day driveability.
There are multiple threads on this site that have info on the performance you are seeking.Some mentioning the total package and others on specific things like forced induction etc.
Good luck with your quest for power.

I think i exagerated when i said i wanted to be the most powerful av in the country....

What i meant to say was, with the parts i have now, what modifications do i have to make that would make it better. And when i speak of modifications i am not talking about the suspension or the drivetrain or the motor.

I already explain about the delay the car has on the accel, we could take care of that first and go from that. However my biggest problem is that delay, because it may cause me to have an accident with it.

So if there is anything i can do to eliminate that delay on the car it would be a plus. Only then we can look at giving it more power, now i am not trying to build a car from scratch, i am trying to juice this one up without having to modify big equipment.

As for the suspension i am open for ideas i was thinking about the z package but i am an electrical eng not mechanical so i have very litle knoledge on these things.

I would appreciate all the info that can be provide to me, and thank you all who already gave me some info on the car.

I would look at an aftermarket exhaust CAT back system to help the 5.3 motor breathe easier and give you more acceleration. The factory exhaust tends to choke the AV somewhat. There are lots of systems to choose from and you can get some ideas in the exhaust section.
If you have a tow/haul button on your AV you could try turning it on, this will change your shift points and help with getting up to speed.

As far as suspension is your AV a 4WD or 2WD? Do you know the model such as LT1 ,LT2, LT3 or LTZ?
Talking about a Z package which exactly are you referring to? Z66 is for soft ride on highway and leveling a load when towing usually found on full dress 2WD AVs. The Z71 package is usually for 4WD off-road suspension. It can be used on highway but gives a slightly firmer ride compared to stock suspension due to the shocks and heaver springs. Recent model years have allowed Z71 on 2WD.

LTZ

Do u know some place in particular where you saw a good exhaust CAT?

As far as exhaust is concerned there are many options to choose from. You need to find what fits your needs and budget, sound is very subjective and what is music to someone's ears might be noise to you or vice versa.
We all want to justify our spending so each member will have his favorite setup. I have had two AVs each one with the CORSA Sport CAT back exhaust. I love the sound, nice and deep when accelerating, quiet at cruise and most of all no drone in the cab. Many members have this setup and love it. Only one member i have seen thought it was loud but he wanted as close to stock as possible exhaust. He swapped for a CORSA Touring CAT back and loved the quiet Cadillac sound yet still had the performance gain. CORSA is easy to install, made of stainless with a Lifetime warranty so is great for high salt or other bad driving conditions.
The only drawback to CORSA is the expense, I got mine direct from CORSA but others have found on-line from many places even EBay.

appreciate the info...
I mean i dont like too much noise, but i still enjoy the sound of a powerfull car....
For now i guess i am just looking on making performance better, if both do the same at the same level then i would go for the one not too noisy.
So can you tell me which one offers the better performance?

You may want to check out CORSA website and maybe even email them for exact info. They have sound clips too of the different setups they have.

http://www.corsaperf.com/

Aside from the exhaust CAT is anymore simple improvements i can make to it to improve my truck preformance?

After my research was done this is what i thought would help.

1. Exhaust CAT
2. Pro Charger - to force air inside engine
3. Cold Air Intake
4. Induction intake Manifold
5. Spark plus
          a. Spark plugs wires

All with labor total at $11,000.00

Apreciate some disadvantages you guys may know, or if there is something else i can do to the car that will help improve its performance?
Also About the price what do u guys thing about this price?

Back