• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Southern Ontario GTG: Summer 2012: Post Suggestions Here!

DouglasOak

Cruise Coord
SM 2014
SM 2013
SM 2012
SM 2011
I've been seeing some action in this region for a while. I have been to several GTG's in Michigan, and will be attending more this summer, in Michigan, Ohio, and Missourri.
Let's see if we can have a GTG of our own!!!

Please post any suggestions for dates and locations. I am assuming the GTA would be a good place to get the most attendance.
Locations could include a large park, campground, etc. where we could all gather, and maybe have a BBQ, and games and activities for those of you with kids.

It would be really nice to meet other Avalanche fans from across Ontario.
(Maybe we can even show our friends across the border what great hosts we are, while they enjoy our beautiful Country!)

Cool idea!  I don't have any suggestions yet, but I'll ruminate on it  :D  I noticed that you say you have the WeatherTech floor liners.  I was thinking of getting some.  How do you like them?

Code Orange (formerly movieman) said:
I noticed that you say you have the WeatherTech floor liners.  I was thinking of getting some.  How do you like them?
Absolutely LOVE them, never have to worry about getting my carpets soiled again. They also cover quite a bit of the plastic sills and prevent scratches.
Made my parents buy a set when they got there new "SkinnyVan" and Mom won't shut up about how great they are!

Will keep on eye on this one in case its near WNY, as I am up there a few times throughout the year.. 

stogen said:
How about a gtg at Canada's wonderland, it's a monster parking lot. Then
We go have some fun on the
Rides :D
I would love to go back to Canada's Wonderland, I haven't been in over 20 years.

But, it's not for everyone... Considering parking is $15 per vehicle and tickets are $56.99 or $33.99 if you're kids are under 48" That would be very expensive!
(Example - 2 Adults with 2 children under 48" would be $197.00 just to get in!)
Consider travel expenses (Gas, Hotel Room, and the outrageous price of food and drinks in the park) on top of that it would deter a lot of people from showing up.

Lets try to keep it simple, and inexpensive. Maybe we could have a 2 day event with a meet and greet / show and shine one day, and the option to do other activities later that day or the following day.
Try to keep in mind some people may have to travel 4 hours or more just to get to this event, and with gas prices the way they are, any extra money being spent on a day trip may not make it possible for a lot of people.

DouglasOak said:
Lets try to keep it simple, and inexpensive, any extra money being spent on a day trip may not make it possible for a lot of people.
Besides... I want to spend my extra cash on MODS!!!!  (y)

stogen said:
I'll do train horns if we do mods, I can't wait to dump a full tank on stupid people....

:laugh:  i absolutely love mine, but i only use it on the streets if i have to. scares the bejesus out of most folks. i get either the finger or laughs with applause's, as the person getting the horn usually did something really stupid. my hands and tools are there to help for all who need them  (y)

i still havent done the sail led"s yet. i have everything and even made a wire box for under the truck

i think a GTG in the gta would be great. something near the highway like a park with free parking.. im in no matter where

Dan

nghtrdr said:
i think a GTG in the gta would be great. something near the highway like a park with free parking.. im in no matter where

Dan
If you can think of a good location let us know, I'm not too familiar with parks or campgrounds in the GTA so any input would be helpful.

Has anyone been to Rouge Park?
It is voted as one of the Top Ten parks in the GTA.
They have a large beach area (Rouge Beach) with plenty of parking, and a campground for those who may want stay and enjoy some good times and beverages around a campfire.

http://www.rougepark.com/explore/park_map.php

It is located right off the 401, and close to many amenities, and attractions (Toronto Zoo, etc.)
Below is a map of Rouge Beach. The gray rectangles are the parking areas (insert Avalanches here!) The campround is located on the other side of the 401.

Attachments

• beach_parking.gif
    beach_parking.gif
    91.4 KB · Views: 166
DouglasOak said:
Has anyone been to Rouge Park?
It is voted as one of the Top Ten parks in the GTA.
They have a large beach area (Fairport Beach) with plenty of parking, and a campground for those who may want stay and enjoy some good times and beverages around a campfire.

http://www.rougepark.com/explore/park_map.php

It is located right off the 401, and close to many amenities, and attractions (Toronto Zoo, etc.)

Haven't been there but it looks like about 12kms worth of trails, maybe some good biking there. Will keep tabs on this thread  (y)

Here is an idea for a place the only problem is it usally need to book almost a year in advance. Sandbanks near Belleville Ontario. It has lots of things to do. I've attached a link below

http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/sand.html

:help:  GTG in the GTA 2012  
Any suggestions for a location would be greatly appreciated.
Also post some dates that would be good for you guys!
The sooner we get some ideas the better!
Once we get a few dates and locations I will start a poll and everyone can decide what is best for them.
I really want to make this happen!!! Who knows maybe we can make this an annual event. GTG in the GTA!!
If you have never been to a GTG you don't know what you're missing! It is sooooooo much fun!

HIM8NINS said:
Here is an idea for a place the only problem is it usally need to book almost a year in advance. Sandbanks near Belleville Ontario. It has lots of things to do. I've attached a link below

http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/sand.html
Thanks for the input HIM8NINS!! It looks like a great park, with beaches and campground areas.
I will be checking availability on a few dates this summer and see what I come up with.

All suggestions are welcome! (and encouraged!)
I am from Windsor (the armpit of Ontario) and can think of a lot of great spots to have a GTG here, but would like to keep it central for everyone (to keep commutes short, and attendance high)

HIM8NINS said:
I would suggest one of the long weekends ex. May19-21 (Victoria Long weekend) or June 30 -July 2 (Canada Day long weekend) or Aug 4-6 (Civic Long weekend)
I agree with these dates but I'll have to work fast, to make arrangements as these weekends book very quickly and they also have much stricter regulations (regarding noise and adult beverages) on these dates. I too was thinking the July or August long weekends may work best for most people.

I'm about an hour west of Sarnia, we get over to Lakeport State Park several times a year. Wife doesn't have her enhanced license, drop her off the bridge  ???  >:D 

Flint4x4 said:
I'm about an hour west of Sarnia, we get over to Lakeport State Park several times a year. Wife doesn't have her enhanced license, drop her off the bridge  ???   >:D  
Thanks for the suggestion Flint, but Lakeport is in the States.
We are trying to keep this Canadian... EH!

We would love to have you come up to "The Great White North" this summer. Don't forget to bring a Parka and Snowshoes! lol!!

Lakeport wasn't a suggestion, I meant how close I am to the Blue Water Bridge if you do a GTG near Sarnia, ON

i live in sarnia. we have bayfest (music festival, voted the top event in ontario by the province's tourism summit). The only act announced so far is iron maiden and alice cooper. The other 3 nights will be announced March 27th. Its july 12-15.

Our Canada Day fireworks used to be pretty good too. Haven't been around on a Canada for a couple years though.

London thru K/W is pretty central for SW Ontario, so if most the interest in from the SW, that opens up a pretty large region to look for things to do as well.

That said, I'm actually working in Regina, SK and can't say yet if I'll be home for any GTG. I will be glad to help with suggestions. The London auto show GTG a few years back was pretty good (even though the group got separated part way through!) and I can give advice based on my experiences planning that one.
BTW i really do like the GTG in the GTA title!

kwistofoo said:
BTW i really do like the GTG in the GTA title!
Thanks kwistofoo!

I am hoping more people will post with their preferences.
I.E. An event and location with activities for the kiddies, (beach, camping, biking, etc) or a more adult based event, with a "Show and Shine" and a "Grub and Gab" after.

I personally do not have any little ones, but think an overnight camping option could be a real hoot!
That we we get to know each other a little better and there is no rush to get to the GTG and then back home in the same day.
(plus it gives us more time for a "modding party")

DouglasOak said:
"Show and Shine" and a "Grub and Gab" after.

May I suggest the AMC plaza (Thickson Rd. and 401 Oshawa)  Very large parking area that is never close to being full.  The plaza is full of restaurants and there is a glow in the dark mini putt and of course, the movie theatre.

The Rouge campground is only 20 minutes west or Darlington Provincial Park is 15 min east.

Holding the GTG on a long weekend could be good or bad.  Some folks plan family events or long trips on the long weekends.  Maybe just vote on a couple of different weekends in June or July.

Thanks silverbullet
Well, we already have 2 votes for that one... DirtyGirlAva LOVES mini golf.
I am thinking it will probably be a single day event this year. Once we see what attendance is like, maybe a weekend event will be in our future.
I know it's still gonna be at least 3-4 months away... but I'm getting really excited!

Keep the suggestions coming!!!
Once we get a few more ideas, I can start a poll to decide the best Location and Date.

Back