• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Fitting 33" tires on 2011 LTZ

WhoAteMySoup

I would like to get some beefier tires on my truck, nothing to crazy: 33" all terrains, with a wider footprint then stock as I do most of my driving on road. The stock tire size on 20" rims is 275/55/20 = 32". I am considering Nittor Terra Grapplers"
305/55/20, which I am calculating out to be 33". A salesman at 4-wheel parts told me that I can fit 33" with only a leveling kit, but I am a little skeptical, can someone give me a reality check here:

1. The Nitto Grapplers I mentioned above are advertised as 35.2" tires on 4 wheel parts website. This makes no sense to me as I am calculating those to be 33.2" tires. Am I tripping? Or is 4 wheel parts tripping?
2. Will the Nitto Grapplers really fit with just a leveling kit? Looking at my wheel well it looks a bit too close.

if im not mistaken they are equivalent to about a 34".x not sure exacltly but i heard u can fit 33's on that year of avalanche with a leveling kit just might rub a little bit on plastics is what i have heard.

i searched a bit and 305/55/20 is equivalent to about a 33".5.  If you google and type in 305/55/r20conversion and search it should be the first title on the page and should say something about tiretech or something like that and should give you a graph type deal with all specs

I have a 2007 Avy 4X4 LT3. Just installed Rancho quick lift front and rear and now have a 275/60/20 Cooper Zeon LTZ. I'm very happy with the ride and tire looks aggressive. Didn't experience any rubbing.

Thanks for the replies. The tire size is relatively easy to calculate exactly:
Using an example of 305/55/20 tire
1. Convert the width into inches: 305/25.4 = 12 inches
2. Calculate the sidewall length by multiplying the width by the sidewall ratio: 12"*0.55= 6.6 inches
3. Add the rim diameter to the 2* the sidewall length: 20"+2*6.6" = 33.2"
I just thought that maybe there is some weird tribal knowledge crap about the Nitto tires, but if you guys are hearing 33.5" or 34", that's about right, which is definitely NOT 35.2" advertised.
I checked out the conversion chart that jperez is referring to and it is also listed under 33.5"
I looked at the Rancho quicklift and it's 2" lift for the front. The cooper Zeon's you are mentioning are 33" exact, which is a little shorter, BUT they 2" narrower, which means the 305s are 1" closer to the wheel well. I am worried about rubbing when I turn mostly, and I don't want to trim anything as I am already worried about the lack of protection to the engine compartment from the flimsy plastic covers.

Im thinking you are gonna rub. but i believe members have heated the plastic to make a curve or something like that to give them a little extra space.  I know on my truck for 33's they made 2 small holes and used a tie strap to pull plastic back.  Just an idea not sure if possible with yours.  I have an 04 2wd

The Nitto site has the Terra Grappler specs.
http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/terragrappler#size
*305/50R20 32.09
*305/55R20 33.19
LT305/55R20         33.07

Trail Grapplers
http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/trailgrappler#size
LT305/55R20               33.39

I guess it depends on which tire you choose.  I have 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers which are listed at 32.76" with a 2" leveling kit with no rubs.  To add an extra half inch (with the Trail Grapplers) you may need to do some minor trimming.  

Sweet, thanks you for your replies everyone! I think I am going to do a leveling kit with a 2" lift in the front and then add some skinnier tires then I originally thought, maybe 285 with 33" or a little more. Kind of changing my mind about Terra Grapplers, as I heard bad things about them, Cooper Zeon LTZ?

Just to give a idea here are some pictures.

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s383/alainm1/IMG_20120413_190734.jpg
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s383/alainm1/IMG_20120413_190714.jpg
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s383/alainm1/IMG_20120410_192537.jpg
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s383/alainm1/IMG_20120410_192019.jpg
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s383/alainm1/IMG_20120410_191936.jpg
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s383/alainm1/IMG_20120410_191903.jpg

Thanks for the pix Alain, I really like the look, I think that pretty much convinced me

You shouldn't rub and rancho makes a $65 leveling kit that I've heard is very easy to install. Post some pics when its done :D

1Fastrider said:
Not sure what bad you heard about the Nittos but I'm on my second set and they are great.  Decent for light offroading and not noisy on road.  Good lasting also.
Ditto, that's all we ran on out work truck and the milage was great the road noise was little to none as long as you keep them rotated.

No offense to the Nitto guys, I never tried them myself, but heard really terrible things from one of my co workers with a suburban. In particular that they do not hold up very well (maybe it's climate specific? We live in California), and the wet traction is sub par. I ended up going with a set of OEM size Cooper Zeon LTZs and not doing a lift. I do not see the point in leveling the LTZ, as it is already level, so lifting the front will just put extra stress on the rear shocks in my opinion. I would be pretty happy with a 4" lift, but could not really decide on anything just yet, meanwhile the stock tires were just doing terrible in the rain, so I figured I can always upgrade later. Anyways, the Cooper's are great, have a nice aggressive look, good dry traction on hwy (compared with stockers), great wet traction. I have not taken them out in snow just yet.

Here is the picture of the new tires and also the Corsa Touring exhaust that installed around the same time.

Attachments

• Cooper Zeon's.gif
    Cooper Zeon's.gif
    86.4 KB · Views: 761
I've got a 2011 ls 2wd
I just put on Nitto Trail Grappler 285/70/17 which spec to diameter of 32.6"
I have a 2" lveling kit - per all the webiste - the 33" should work with a 2" level.....BUT....

they rub -

I think the problem is more with the -12 offset rims....but not sure...

Rear's are fine - but the front rub for and aft in the fender wells - front is rubbing plastic - but the aft rubs the metal body seam...

Not sure yet what I;m gonna do to fix it...
But I'm keeping the tires - they look bada**.....

good luck with yours...

I just put 33's on my '12 LS with a 2" level kit.
They do rub - I had to do a bit of cutting/trimming - but it was worth it..

For Nitto's - be careful - many of their tires come in multiple Outside Diamters...the best bet is to check them on the Nitto web site - AND make sure your tire supplier gets you the correct ones....

I am now running the trail grapplers - in 285/70/17 - accordign to Nitto they come in 33" and 34" OD.....

So far I like the Nittos.....

I think the terra is a slightly less aggressive tread - so the noise shouldn't be too bad....

If your changing tire width adn diamter - depending on your wheels, you may lose some mpg...

Good Luck

Attachments

• Ave small.jpg
    Ave small.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 692
WhoAteMySoup said:
Here is the picture of the new tires and also the Corsa Touring exhaust that installed around the same time.
Looking good!  (y) I've been thinking of going with a more aggressive tire too.

WhoAteMySoup said:
I ended up going with a set of OEM size Cooper Zeon LTZs and not doing a lift.

What size of coopers did you end up going with? I'm trying to squeeze a little more width out of the stock stance and roll with a 285/55r20, which is slightly wider than the 275/55r20. Wondering if 285's will fit on the rim right.

So, reading through this, no one has the 2007-2013 model with a 2" leveler and 33" 12.5 tires? I'm trying to figure out if I can do the lever instead of the 3" lift. The rims are +15 offset if that helps. Does anyone know? Thank you!

I currently have a ~33" tire, with a 0 offset rim (!!!). I can look up the tire specs a bit later for the exact size, but it did require some serious hammering on the inside of the wheel well, and I also have an offroad bumper that gives me a ton of room at the front of the tire. Even with all of the above, when at full-lock left I rub just a bit going in reverse. (surprisingly it does not rub at all going forward, or going full-lock right).

09 Z71. Started with a 2" leveling kit with 285/70-17 Coopers on stock rims, rubbed bad, went to a 3" leveling kit with 9" wide rims and 12mm offset, still rubbed but only in reverse with some trimming. Went to a 3" upper/1" lower with dropped uca's and 3" rear and no rubbing now.

Back