• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

'04 Z66 w/6 Disc Bose - would like a little more bass

R94 LT 1

Just got my '04 AV, Z66.  It has the factory Bose 6 Disc.  I'm pretty happy with it right now, but would like a little more bass.  From the few posts I've read, I'm wondering if my factory sub is working.  I know there's the 2 tweeters on the A pillars, 2 speakers in the front doors and 2 in the rear doors.  I was thinking of replacing the rears with some Boston Acoustics or something, to try and get a little more bass.  Are there any other stock speakers that I'm not aware of?  Locations?  Anyone offer suggestions?  Right now, I don't want to add an amp or bigger sub(s).  Just maybe fix or replace stock speakers in stock locations.

Sorry I didn't see your earlier post you also have a subwoofer in the console.

MS03 2500 said:
Sorry I didn't see your earlier post you also have a subwoofer in the console.

So I'm taking it from "other models" that have posted, it's one of the ones that is in the center console that faces forward?  Anyone know what size it is?  Can it be upgraded? or is it so small, it's best to do something else?  Like I said on my original, I just want a litte bass out of it.  Nothing to rattle the windows.........right now, it seems to have nothing but treble and mids, and anything you try and do with the settings just makes it muddy sounding.

Yup it does face forward, if I remember right it's a 8 inch dual cone speaker.
If you don't want to spend a bunch of bucks try adding a powered subwoofer they are small and can fit under the rear seat.

you can add a cheap $40 legacy amp. do a search for "new amp for bose sub" easy mod.

So is there some way I can check and see what's not working?  Amp or sub?  The sub doesn't look like it's the easiset thing to get too.  I'll have to search for the Legecy Amp mod.

Try to reach behind the console near the firewall and turn the radio up you should feel the vibration. Or put a glass of water in the cupholder.

I know this is an old thread but i dont believe my question deserves a thread of its own.

I've seen alot of threads about there bose system not having hardly any bass. And im wondering if anybody elses showing the vibration from the sub in the rear view mirror considering mine does.

And also does a small aftermarket amp really make a noticeable difference with the sub

jeffs03avalanche said:
I know this is an old thread but i dont believe my question deserves a thread of its own.

I've seen alot of threads about there bose system not having hardly any bass. And im wondering if anybody elses showing the vibration from the sub in the rear view mirror considering mine does.

And also does a small aftermarket amp really make a noticeable difference with the sub

My mirror doesn't vibrate anymore than I would expect it too.  Really not at all unless you crank it up to ridiculous levels.

And yes, the Legacy Mod makes a HUGE difference!

I was in the exact same position you are in. If you want more bass and better sound, do as I did. Get rid of those crappy Bose door speakers and get better aftermarket ones. I got 4 Kenwood 1730 coaxail speakers. They made an unbelievable difference. Lots of bass and much better sound.

Vic

vanthony said:
I was in the exact same position you are in. If you want more bass and better sound, do as I did. Get rid of those crappy Bose door speakers and get better aftermarket ones. I got 4 Kenwood 1730 coaxail speakers. They made an unbelievable difference. Lots of bass and much better sound.

Vic
[/quotedid you get the 6 1/2 or 6 3/4 size speakers?

R94 LT 1 said:
My mirror doesn't vibrate anymore than I would expect it too.  Really not at all unless you crank it up to ridiculous levels.

And yes, the Legacy Mod makes a HUGE difference!

Well looks like ill be getting an amp

vanthony said:

Vic

Any other vehicle I've changed to aftermarket speakers with stock HU it always sounded like crap. So are you saying the bose stock system has a better sound with aftermarket speakers.

Back