• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Need help with front seats!

3470john

Ok here is my problem. The drivers seat on my 02 avalanche is totally broken down and in need of repair. Dealer tells me that it is discontinued and not available. Sure I can get it recovered but the foam bottom and top is totally shot. The dealer says this seat is also specific to this year only.

So here is my question. Has anyone replaced the bucket seats in their 02 with seats from an 03 - 06? I am getting mixed info on wether or not they will bolt right in and work.

Does anyone know where I can get foam pads and covers for 02 seats. I know the 02's have the seat belt that comes through the bottom cushion while later years do not (which I prefer anyway).

I've been checking the junk yards and ebay. But the seats are either 03-06 or in bad shape and still $$$ and still in need of being recovered.

Btw my seats full feature heated leather graphite with the bow tie logo

No sir ya can't put a 03 up seat in a 02 if you want the power options to work. Have you thought about fixing yours.

A local auto upholstery shop can rebuild your seats. Check in your region for some recommended shops. I use a local that dose a lot of restor and custom he has also repaired frames for me. If you can find a good shop you will get new foam, you can either go with a stock cover or they can make a custom cover of your design.
You can also find fabric shops to buy all that is needed to redo your seats, check JC Whitney.
This guy is in France but to show what a custom shop can do good luck.
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,130915.0.html

Not cheap but I hear they are good quality.

www.theseatshop.com/

MS03 2500 said:
No sir ya can't put a 03 up seat in a 02 if you want the power options to work. Have you thought about fixing yours.

Actually, I just did this exact thing. I replaced my 02 seats with 03 seats. I pulled the seat's wiring harness off the 02 and put it on the 03 and it worked perfectly. No tearing into the seats to replace sensors or plugs or anything.

d34562b2.jpg

New front and rear seats with door panels cost me $700; or about what the dealership quoted for out of production stock replacement parts for my damaged driver's seat.

e0234d6a.jpg

Still no luck finding new or used seat foam. If I can find the foam cushions, I can order new leathers. $460 per seat from the seat shop. I thought I had found a nice junk yard seat but some one took what looks like a screw driver and destroyed what would have been a nice seat. Multiple stab wounds :(      The good news is the passenger seat was in excellent shape and a perfect match $75.00 which is $50 cheaper than the cost of a repair on that seat.

Passenger seat is done. I used a the junk yard seat along my my seat bottom. It took a little longer but mine was in better condition.
Does anyone have the bottom foam from an 02 drivers seat?

This is 2002 only

W/POWER LUMBAR

Pad, Seat Cushion?
Passenger Side #.6 88938408 $92.28
Driver Side      #.6 88938405 $129.11

Pad, Seat Back?
Passenger Side #.8 12478634 $93.51
Driver Side      #.8 88938476 $97.45

W/O POWER LUMBAR

Pad, Seat Cushion?
Passenger Side #.5 88938408 $92.28
Driver Side      #.5 12478507 $178.30

Pad, Seat Back?
Passenger Side #.8 88938432 $91.83
Driver Side      #.8 12473281 $166.86

Thanks for the part numbers.
But where can I get them? Dealer says not available

I could not find them either, maybe a upholstery shop can make one.

OK, so this is a very old thread, but I'm hoping there was some resolution.

There are two companies that sell replacement foam for seats.  One in Houston (Richmond leather) that carries the 2002 direct replacement foam.  The Seat Shop sells foam for a 2003 and up (they don't carry the 02 because it was a one year only design and not worth it to them.  But they say a good upholstery shop can easily modify the 03 foam to fit.

I'm in the process of redoing my entire leather.  Leatherseats.com for the leather kit ($849 for two tone custom leathers), $145 for the replacement drivers seat foam, and $300 for installation.  Total all in:  $1,294.  Going to be beautiful going from all dark graphite to two-tone of dark graphite with teak inlay and teak stitching.  I'll post pics after it's all said and done.

OK, so this is a very old thread, but I'm hoping there was some resolution.

There are two companies that sell replacement foam for seats. One in Houston (Richmond leather) that carries the 2002 direct replacement foam. The Seat Shop sells foam for a 2003 and up (they don't carry the 02 because it was a one year only design and not worth it to them. But they say a good upholstery shop can easily modify the 03 foam to fit.

I'm in the process of redoing my entire leather. Leatherseats.com for the leather kit ($849 for two tone custom leathers), $145 for the replacement drivers seat foam, and $300 for installation. Total all in: $1,294. Going to be beautiful going from all dark graphite to two-tone of dark graphite with teak inlay and teak stitching. I'll post pics after it's all said and done.

Again, sorry for the very old thread. @triaker, were you able to do your upgrade?

Probably won't get an answer since triacer hasn't logged into the forum since June 7, 2020.

Hover over a members name to see when the last time they checked in.

Back