• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

E-85 Flex Fuel ???

machestnut

So this is probably a stupid questions, so please forgive me.  I purchased a 08 LT AV yesterday and wanted to see how do i tell if I can put E-85 fuel in it.  I see that 08 LT AV can, but I don't have a yellow gas cap or a badge stating this.  How do I know for sure if I can put this type of fuel in it?  Thanks

No yellow cap no badge I would say no. You can also tell by your vin number. One of the letters tells whether or no its flex fuel or not.

I know none of the 6.0L can run E-85 and some of the 2wd can't.

I also have an 08 avy there is a flex fuel badge on the tail gate and the fuel cap is yellow so i would also say no

Interesting!  I got this off the EPA site and it confirms that there are variations in whether the '08 can accept E-85 or not.

Attachments

• 2008 AVY gas.jpg
    2008 AVY gas.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 402
from: http://ncbiofuels.net/flex-fuel-biodiesel-car-list.html

Avalanche 5.3L, model years 2005 - 2010
VIN 8th character for 2005-2006 = Z, for 2007-2008 = 0 or 3, for 2009 - 2010 = 0

Interesting. Acording to my VIN (eight character is z) I can run flex fuel, but have no yellow cap or badges.

The yellow cap and/or badging did not start until at least the start of the 07 model year, I believe the badging started at the beginning of the model year and the cap might have started a couple of months later, then at some point they stopped the badging. 

Not sure about the badging, but the yellow caps started in the middle of the 2005 model year.  My 05 doesn't have the yellow cap (and I put a badge on it myself, was sent by a member here who didn't want it).  But it does say within the (stock) gas door that it can take E85.  I've replaced the gas door also.

So basically, some of the 2005's have the yellow cap, some don't.  2006+ should have it if it takes E85.

Thanks for all the replies/feedback.  Yeah I'm going to say that mine doesn't.  Seems kinda strange to me that it won't.  But no biggie, I like only putting in the premium anyways.  Thanks again

machestnut said:
Thanks for all the replies/feedback.  Yeah I'm going to say that mine doesn't.  Seems kinda strange to me that it won't.  But no biggie, I like only putting in the premium anyways.  Thanks again
DO not use premium unless you have it TUNED for premium or you have a knock problem and if you do try mid grade first...

using premium in an engine designed for Regular is not healthy and will result in lower power & MPG

ygmn said:
DO not use premium unless you have it TUNED for premium or you have a knock problem and if you do try mid grade first...

using premium in an engine designed for Regular is not healthy and will result in lower power & MPG

Whew, thank you...I just sold a 2005 GTO that required Premium so I was use to that gas.  Appreciate your post  (y)

Premium fuel won't hurt your stock truck. But it is money wasted. Economically, E85 is a fools errand. Anecdotally, it can also cause engine fuel management issues. I've had this problem. At roughly 103 octane it is cheap racing fuel and useful if you tune for it. Otherwise, my suggestion is to avoid it like the plague.  

Found

http://e85refueling.com/distance.php?page=1

12 stations within 200 miles of Pittsburgh.

E85 is fine to run in vehicles that are designated and tuned to run it, with those being FlexFuel vehicles, period.  Will you experience lower MPG, sure.  Will you experience engine damage?  No. 

These conversations remind me a lot of 1975 and unleaded.. I seem to remember a lot of the crapola being thrown around then with a lot ending with "avoid it like the plague".. its simply not true.

Well, my "avoid it like the plague" comment comes from experience....both mine and friends. But it applies only to street use and does deserve qualification. Switching back and forth, even following recommended run-in procedures, can cause fuel management issues. Hard starting problems akin to failing fuel pump symptoms in particular. Excessively crappy fuel mileage as well. If you consistently run E85 all will be fine, other than the pocketbook drain and the reduction in the food corn supply.

NebLanche said:
Found

http://e85refueling.com/distance.php?page=1

12 stations within 200 miles of Pittsburgh.

E85 is fine to run in vehicles that are designated and tuned to run it, with those being FlexFuel vehicles, period.  Will you experience lower MPG, sure.  Will you experience engine damage?  No. 

These conversations remind me a lot of 1975 and unleaded.. I seem to remember a lot of the crapola being thrown around then with a lot ending with "avoid it like the plague".. its simply not true.
Seen this awhile ago not very accurate

Premium fuel won't hurt your stock truck. But it is money wasted. Economically, E85 is a fools errand. Anecdotally, it can also cause engine fuel management issues. I've had this problem. At roughly 103 octane it is cheap racing fuel and useful if you tune for it. Otherwise, my suggestion is to avoid it like the plague.

FWIW, premium is bascially set to not explode under higher pressure. Hence, when you have a high-compression engine or a GDI engine you probably should run premium. Our engines are not generally high compression, so premium fuel works just the same as regular. Also, our trucks have knock sensors which will tell when the compression level is too high and the gas is premeturely exploding in the cylinder.

As for E85, I tried it and found (a) less power slightly and (b) FAR less mileage. I have some posts about it. IIRC, I was paying roughly 20% less for E85 than regular unleaded. However, it was getting about 40% less mileage. Not worth it.  Oh, and i did not have any badging or yellow gas cap on my truck. The instruction manual and my VIN told me I could accept e85. 

Avoid like the plague? No.

Worth it? Not really.  Unless I just want to give the single-finger salute to the middle east oil terrorists.

No point for E-85, you lose MPG and you will be filling up at the pump more often.

premium gas will never cause knock in a vehicle designed for regular, however, running regular in an engine designed for premium will cause issuse. Premium has a higher octane rating. Octane is resistant to knock. the higher the octane, the more resistant. thats why race cars run race gas. High compression engines are more prone to knock.

And E85 is less potent than gasoline, there for you need about double the amount of fuel for the same power. E85 is nice because its renewable. thats why its being pushed. No matter how much people deny it, eventually we will run out of oil. It may be a while, but itll happen.

If you don't have the E85 yellow gas cap then you can't put E85 in.  Regardless you shouldn't put it in anyway because it gets terrible gas mileage!

Hahaha....never use economic arguments when dictating to greenies.

felixgun said:
If you don't have the E85 yellow gas cap then you can't put E85 in.  Regardless you shouldn't put it in anyway because it gets terrible gas mileage!
Actually, the '06 model avalanche (mine) didn't have a yellow gas cap. It is E85 compatible.

I did break my gas cap and got a replacement, which is now yellow. Kinda weird, IMO.

Too bad I don't have a green (diesel) gas cap!    >:D

Back