• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Dual PC install for my 2003 Av...

redheadedrod

SM 2017
PM 2015
Curious if anyone has any suggestions on my setup I am looking at...

Currently my Av has the standard BOSE radio with subwoofer and Amplifier from factory.

Going to replace this in 3 segments with something for me to enjoy as well as showcase the skills I am learning in college in my Software Engineering class. I want to make my truck into a virtual resume.

First segment I wont get into too much since it refers to the actual sound system. I will be using some old school equipment in this install. The door speakers will be replaced with 3way Diamond Audio HEX series up front (6, 4 and tweet), 2 way in the rear (6 and tweet) All installed in factory original locations other than the 4inch which will be installed above the 6inch.  2 6.5" subs will replace the current factory sub in the console to play the upper bass and 2 10" subwoofers will go in a custom midgate replacement box that will look like the standard midgate but the gate won't fold anymore. The 6 amplifiers (1700 watts total) , cross over and EQ will be mounted between or above the subs and all hidden behind a false piece in the mid gate. (The window will still be able to be put back where it normally goes but will put a pressure switch to shut off the subs if the window is stored. )

Second Segment will be a "standard" i7 based CarPC installed in the center console with a screen in the dash, one at the front of the console, one at the rear of the console and in both head rests. (all will be touch screens except the head rest ones. )  The case is to be installed in the console under the current storage area. The storage area will be reduced to allow room for the case. This will run Win 7 and do what you would expect it to do. (Will tie into front and rear cameras to record accident information etc if necessary.)

Third Segment is a totally off the wall idea... Using some custom ARM  Compatible boards (Think of Rasberry PI on Steroids.) I will be making a security and convenience system. This will start out replacing the HVAC system and include a vehicle diagnostic system. I will also add GPS to this as well for tracking as build a full security system into it.  Supposed to be able to do voice recognition, face recognition and a few other things. This setup is the base for apparently some commonly available touchpads and such. I will likely use the quad 1.0 ARM version. This board supports Win CE6, 7 or 8, Ubuntu, QNX or Android 4.02. Since Android and Ubuntu are the best supported I will likely use one of those. If I was not adding another computer to the mix I could likely use this as my infotainment system directly or add another to do this. But because I want to do some crazy stuff with the PC stuff I will keep that separate. Although the data that is collected from this system will be available as well to the PC in real time as well.

Here is a video showing the potential of the processor I plan to use for this third section... Virtual, not actual (yet) potential... (This demo shows all the devices using this processor or a lesser version of it.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZUqVy8uncc

And here...
http://imxcommunity.org/video/freescale-i-mx-6-automotive-technology-arm-at-ces-2012

Just hope you pull over to the side of road and stop driving before pushing all those buttons and watching the screen!!!
I have the factory installed Bose speakers and can't even get the volume control up half-way before my ears hurt.

Probably a good system to use in a stadium parking lot?

The sound system will be mostly for clarity than it will be anything else. I COULD use the factory BOSE system but It is not a "clean" system. It is a whole lot better than a non BOSE system but not great. This system will likely never be totally cranked up.

And if someone tries to steal the system it will all be caught on Video...

The security system will not have remotes. You will use a smart phone to do what you would normally do with remotes. Via WiFi or Internet connection.  Which also means I can start the truck, roll windows down, control the HVAC system, turn the music on and off etc from a computer or smart phone as well as track the truck and get video of who is in the truck.

So yea... I have some insane plans.. And once I have this up and running I can use it as a class project throughout my degree. My second degree will be in computer security which I plan to use this to take advantage of as well. The internet service will be provided via a USB fob or a MiFi type application.

As I have money I will be installing this one segment at a time. The sound system will likely be the LAST upgrade since the BOSE system can be used as is and the system will be TOTALLY stealth other than the touch screens. And lack of depth in the console. The intent is that any NON avy person won't be able to tell anything is in there until it is started up. Even if you look under the seats or pull the back seats forward etc.

I will be buying parts from the junkyard to work on instead of my stock parts so I can always go back if I need to.

Rodney

Broke my Thumb when I crashed my Bicycle back in early June so I haven't been able to do much fabrication. I have my PC working on my desk and I have some features for it. I will be adding some more hardware to it before it is done but I have been also limited on my time this summer as well.

I have been working on stripping my Junkyard Midgate and will be starting to work on this shortly. I am a pick away from having the front piece off. (Have to pull two pins out then I can remove the front panel.)

I decided to build my speaker and amp box first so I can gut the console for the PC.

My Dash is on hold because the ARM board I have is not working properly and I am awaiting a new one which was ordered in July and was given a 4 week ship time. I bought two boards so I should be able to get them up and running. Once I have them up and running with Linux I will begin trying to get them linked to the ODBII and start working on dash software for it.

I am also working on some other stuff with College starting back up in a month so I am not sure exactly how far I will get yet this summer. I am hoping to get the Midgate completed and installed. I will also likely start building an alarm system and auto start system into my truck as well. The auto start will be a conventional system. The Alarm will likely be something custom tied into the ODBII bus as well.

Rod.
I remember you asking me earlier about the multi-touch capabilities of my screen in the dash.
Unfortunately screens for the cars still haven't caught up with computer technology yet but I did run across a multi-touch trackpad that I plan to integrate into the truck.
That may be a viable option if you still plan to use a 12" monitor

Patiently waiting for it to arrive in the mail and my space navigator will be pulled from my truck to start duties on my home office PC.

Worklog started on MP3car. If I figure out how to include pictures I may do one here as well.

http://www.mp3car.com/worklogs/155995-2003-chevy-avalanche-car-pc-install-for-long-term-school-project.html

Also to respond to another post in another thread...

I will be using 3 different levels of computer power...

Intel based Windows PC. This will be mostly for entertainment and possibly monitor some other stuff. No system dependent controls will be run from the PC...

ARM development boards. These boards will be doing low power convenience and security items. They will run a custom Linux version. The Dash cluster will be run with one of these boards. I am hoping to have the dash cluster with a flatscreen display similar to the QNX demo car at CES 2013. I will be using very similar hardware.

I will likely build a 7" screen into the over head console with one of the ARM boards for standard vehicle controls such as HVAC and other stuff. They may also be available from the PC but I want to have the over head console as an information center separate from the PC.

I could very well install Android into this over head unit while using Linux in any other ARM board.

The last level will be an arduino type board using Parallax Propellers which are much more versatile than the Arduino and much more powerful. These will interface into anything analog that I need and do any low power stuff.

They have a full Ubuntu 12.04 available on SDcard so I will be using that as my base.

They also have a generic type linux that I believe uses debian packages but is only a partial distribution. They have this both with and without x on it. For simplicity and for compatibility with my PC I plan to use the 12.04 ubuntu for all of the ARM boards unless I decide to use Android. If I use android it will likely just be on one of the screens. The Dash Cluster will be based on ubuntu with x11.. I am not a big fan of the unity interface and since I won't need an interface other than the one I build I may decide to use a minimal graphic environment. I have to play with it some.. I just got notice my new boards should be here on Monday.

I plan to use QT for the graphics engine.. Should be fun.

Rodney

I used Ubuntu a while back and I must say it was a joy to use.
Worked flawlessly on my Media Center PC. I can't for the life of me remember why I took it off now.
Anyway planning to build a new PC for my 9 yr old and I'll definitely be putting Ubuntu on that one for her.

Hope I didn't jack your thread.

Yes, I have used Ubuntu which is why I am considering it...

I also just looked at QNX, I am looking at possibly using it on my boards instead.

This is what they used to build the Bentley demo car so it would make sense for me to use it for my truck.

It is interesting that they can also now use Android applications with it so this looks like it may be a great solution for Car Infotainment. We shall see how this goes.

It could end up being a solution for anyone wanting to use android apps on their vehicle. The demo's I have seen on it so far make it look awesome and it seems to be built on a Linux background so I can leverage some other stuff with it.

Okay, so I dont really know a lot about electronics but I was able to understand the majority of the first post. I just really wanna see pictures and the final product cuz this seems really awesome

I am in the middle of my semester but I bought a new component for this system. I have to get the rest of the components before I can do much with it. I have a box that I can hook to my computer that performs a variety of functions.

This is a unit made by someone on mp3car.com
It incorporates the following hardware in one box.

(I will have to figure out a way to post pictures.)

ODBII
GPS
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (Up to 10 sensors)
Backup Sensors (Has support for front and rear configurations.)
PHIDGETS - This allows easy digital switching of exterior devices, digital data collection (On/off), Analog data collection. (8 of each)

I have to buy the chips for the ODBII, Phidgets and GPS yet. He basically put USB hubs together with this board to make a specialized box to hook up. It also has one extra USB port.

My holdup right now is time and money. I have a junkyard midgate that I am going to build into a stealth speaker/amp box. When this is complete I am going to be pulling the factory sub and amp from the center console and installing my PC and this box. The chips are going to cost me about $200 so It is not operational yet. My midgate will have my 2 10" subs, my 5 amplifiers and crossover.

I also need to get a 10" screen yet but I have been using the PC and it certainly runs fine.

If someone can help me figure out how to post pictures I can post pictures of what I have so far. Once I build the midgate and get a 10" screen I can progress. Likely going to be during winter break to do the midgate.

I am looking for somewhere to mount these WiFi antennas. They have a 2" circular base and a 3" tall shaft. I am thinking of pulling the sail panels and see how much room is behind them.

You could always use photobucket and link the image codes in your posts, that's how I've always done things.

Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Mercness1112 said:
Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
Thanks for the tip on Photobucket. I have never used it but I probably should...

And as to the other part of your quote.. So am I.. ;)

I expect to get the rest of the components after the first of the year. I have a few dollars coming my way so I will be getting the rest of the components and finishing up the install of the midgate. It has been sitting in my living room for a couple months now while I try to get time to start cutting it up and forming a box on the back side of it.

The computer will be installed in the center console with most of the support hardware for it. I have a liquid cooler for the CPU but I haven't decided if I want to use it or not because that would require major modification of the case. Probably would notch out the side to pass the wires and tubing. Not to mention I don't know if they can handle extreme cold. (We have gotten as cold as -30f in the past. I know, I worked during it. ) This is a corsair H50 unit that I would be using if I do.

My first screen will be a 10" capacitive screen most likely. I just found another source for some pretty cool screens. Then I can use Win 8.

My current plans are to get the PC installed with the first 10" screen and see how well it works before integrating much more into it.

I am also in process of researching screens I can use for the new Dash cluster and still kicking around what I can do with it. I am currently looking at relocating the DIC and shift indicator to the bottom of the display on the left and right of the dash so I can have a full flat display across the top of the dash display. I have a junkyard unit I am thinking of trying this with to see how well it will work. The DIC is a little taller than I would like to do this but I can probably make it work. I am thinking of using Ribbon wire to move the displays. I have plenty of old parallel cables laying around I could use.

This is a project that will take me a long time to accomplish but will be fun working on it. My goal is to have it done in 5 years at this point. Maybe sooner if I finish my degree sooner.

Rodney

Awesome! 

Man, there are times I wish I would have continued in my MIS courses.  I'm still pretty active in the computer world, bit no where near where I would have been had I kept with it instead of charging my focus to Law Enforcement. Maybe one day will find a way to integrate them together.

I wish you the very best in this project. I will continue to watch the progress you make.  If there's anyway I can help, let me know! 

-Merc

Thanks for the encouragement.. Unless you lived by Grand Rapids, MI and had a wood shop in your garage I think I am in a waiting pattern at this point. Once I get the computer in the car it will make life easier.

As far as integrating Computers and Law Enforcement you really should look into getting a computer security degree. You would easily double the income you make now and wouldn't need much additional training to get there if you are already in law enforcement. And depending on how far along you were you could probably do well at a local college assuming there is one that can get you a nationally recognized degree.

redheadedrod said:
As far as integrating Computers and Law Enforcement you really should look into getting a computer security degree. You would easily double the income you make now and wouldn't need much additional training to get there if you are already in law enforcement. And depending on how far along you were you could probably do well at a local college assuming there is one that can get you a nationally recognized degree.

As of right now, I am in my final year at University of Texas- Arlington.  My hopes are to me in the force by the end of next year, then start working on getting into S.W.A.T.  I will definentely continue to keep active in computers and maybe look into it after retirement. Thanks for the advice on looking into that degree.  I will have to do that for sure. 

Well computer security experts especially in law enforcement are golden. You could likely double your income and not have to worry about being shot at. ;)

Rodney

Update, I am in touch with a local shop that I have known for 20+ years. I will be talking to them some more but hopefully they will be helping me fab up the components.

I am looking for a temporary mounting location for my M350 case housing my PC. I may gut part of the center console for it if I can make it fit that way. I want to get my computer into the truck. I MAY try fitting it up under the dash temporarily. I do have a 7 inch monitor but I may try something else until I can get it running. Like maybe picking up a USB type screen so I can temporarily hook it up or something. This computer does support the intel widi which is a wifi based monitor so I don't know.

I have a spare midgate skinned so I can start working on a speaker box for it. I plan to modify the hard plastic portion to house the speakers and the amplifiers. The front section will be modified so that it can still hold the glass and be pretty undetectable that there is anything there.

I am going to attempt to purchase a 10" capacitive screen to mount at the front of the console. I am going to have this shop fabricate a housing for me.

I am also going to attempt to mount a 7" screen in the over head console. I am looking for an over head console that has the garage door openers in it and maybe a sunroof switch. The sunroof switch is optional but if anyone knows of one with the factory garage door opener in it I would love to pick one up. At work I could use the opener to open the gates so I don't have to enter the code.

I have also progressed with the ODBII hacking stuff. I have been researching things and came across a couple of web sites. Once I have the PC mounted in my truck I will be attempting to hack the E(ntertainment) & C(omfort) bus. From what I have been able to determine it appears to be the same type of network electronically as the BMW IBUS (Infotainment Bus) which means I will be able to make use of custom hardware made for that bus. This bus in our trucks apparently is tied to all of the radio related components as well as the HVAC system. I am stoked about this because once I tie into that and can control it I can gain access to factory add on components such as the rear entertainment system, the XM satellite system, external cd changers and pretty much anything else tied to the radio. Yes this means if I am successful I will be able to add XM radio to my computer as well as fully utilize the rear entertainment system with the computer as well. Not to mention the steering wheel controls. This may also potentially allow me to ditch the HVAC controls as well if I am successful. I suspect since mine is a manual control HVAC I may not be able to fully control everything from the bus but we shall see. I will be spending some quality time with the shop manual.

I do not have a steering wheel with radio controls at this time nor do I have an external CD player at this time but if I am successful in getting this figured out I would love to borrow someones CD changer to get it figured out as well as finding a wheel with controls.

I will also be looking to install a sophisticated alarm that uses only a few wires and does most of its work over the ODBII bus. I plan to reverse engineer this as well so I can possibly build my own alarm system. Potentially I could build a fully working alarm module that can be hooked to a computer to modify settings as well as hook to a wifi to be able to connect to the internet. Imagine having an android app that could access your vehicle as long as it has a wifi source. (Hotspot or whatever. Probably could use blue tooth or wifi from the phone as well.)
Just at the idea stage for now. But the sky is the limit for sure.

If I am able to get the E & C bus figured out it will be really cool... May even be able to make the computer look like it is a satellite to the radio or something equally crazy.

I will post pictures of the components I have currently and go from there.
Rodney

Thanks for the update.  The electrical engineer in me finds what you are doing quite interesting.  (y)

Back