• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

New Middeck mod with Pics - Like it?

HawaiianBrian

I was bored the other night and came across a post about the mid-deck. Thought it was an interesting mod idea, did some research and ended up making one for the "60" side of my rear seats. Used a piece of 3ft x 3ft - 3/4 ply I had on hand leftover from the cargo slide floor, cut it down to size, did a little trimming as needed, covered it with some home depot carpet and there it is. Total cost $11.97! Pretty solid, perfect for the dog to sit and be comfortable as well as throwing all kinds stuff back there instead of on the leather seat. Did you ever flip up the bottom portion only of the rear seat, throw some stuff on the floor and then have the backrest portion slam down on your loaf of bread after you stop at a light? Well - this is the fix for that! (LOL)
Here's pics as reference.

Attachments

• middeck 1.JPG
    middeck 1.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,712
  • middeck 2.JPG
    middeck 2.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,710
  • middeck 3.JPG
    middeck 3.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,719
  • middeck 4.JPG
    middeck 4.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,716
  • middeck 5.JPG
    middeck 5.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,713
1Fastrider said:
Looks good.  What did you use to cut the wood?
thx for the compliments!
I used a circular saw to cut it down to the basic 3 ft x 3ft size. Then I used a Jigg saw to cut out the small oval areas to get a good tight fit. I did trim off an extra 1/2 inch from the front and the rear to allow room for the carpet.

That looks very professional!!!  Nice work fitting/trimming.  This is a must do for me.  We always use my wife's old Camry to transport the dog.

I might make two, one for each side depending if one or two kids will be riding along (use the smaller one if both kids are riding in back with the dog).

wheelmans said:
That looks very professional!!!  Nice work fitting/trimming.  This is a must do for me.  We always use my wife's old Camry to transport the dog.

I might make two, one for each side depending if one or two kids will be riding along (use the smaller one if both kids are riding in back with the dog).
the carpet hides all the trim work very well.
Yes, it is surprisingly an esay mod to do, very useful and very inexpensive. I just leave mine there most of the time now, the carseat fits perfect on the 40 split side. If need be, just put the deck behind the seat when the seat is needed.

Wow... Really professional looking! I'd like to try one for mine!! ...probably wont look as nice, but great idea!!

I made a full size one for my back seat, works great. I also cut it in half the long way and use the carpet as a hinge for easier removaland installation.

Does anyone have the plans for the Middeck? I am wanting to build the full size deck and looking for plans........

Don't need a mid deck.......Fold the seat cushions and place the groceries and everything directly on the floor space......the soft foam dog bed fits just fine in the space also and keeps him from jumping or sticking his nose over the console.......To prevent  damage from the backrest(s) falling forward in stops and turns, simply fasten the shoulder/seat belts across the backrest(s)........doesn't sound like the belts will catch them in time to prevent falling forward?........but, it does.

I made the Mid deck for my 2007.
It also fits my 2013 and I made the two piece one also...so now I have a couple of choices  :D :D :D

Z66 BUTCH said:
Does anyone have the plans for the Middeck? I am wanting to build the full size deck and looking for plans........

PM sent your way

Looks great!  In for the pm on plans, although I have been helping a friend build one for the back of his ex cab Tacoma so I think I have a good idea of what to do. My main concern is the best kind of carpet and how to "wrap" it around.

wolverine350r said:
Looks great!  In for the pm on plans, although I have been helping a friend build one for the back of his ex cab Tacoma so I think I have a good idea of what to do. My main concern is the best kind of carpet and how to "wrap" it around.

It looks like I used the same stuff as HawaiianBrian. It was about the cheapest stuff I could get. In the end the dogs don't know there is better stuff out there.  It's all about personal preference. When I redo it I'm going to get something that doesn't attract as much dog hair. 

Back