• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Mount Washington Cruise Interest

james21

Cruise Coord
PM 2021
PM 2019
PM 2014
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
I've picked up the torch and have been leading the White Mountains fall foliage cruise for the past 3 years. Its been a fun time and this year I had the thought of adding in a run up Mount Washington. It was done once before back in 04 or 05 with around 30 AVs and was a great time other than getting chased off the mountain by a cold front. This time I'd like to make it up there to see the view and the eventual sun set. I know that it does bite into the wallet with gas expenditures and accommodations for the night. But I'm hoping that it will pay off in the end.

Right Now I would like to see who would be interested so that I can get a number to try and get a private cruise up the mountain. More details will follow.

Date: October 13.

Attendees:

!. Chevzilla AV
2. Hot_Rod (Late Arrival)
3. Duneit
4. AHOY
5. NotAvinIt
6. camarogrl

Meet Up Locations

-First Meetup will be at the last Rest Stop on I95 before the NH tolls, I believe it is the NH Welcome Center, it is right around 2miles from the I495 Interchange. We will be meeting in the front parking lot. Meet time 0830-0900 (Unless someone needs more time)
-Second Meetup will be at the Rochester NH Home Depot, like last year, Exit 16 off of RT 16 Spaulding Turnpike. However since I don't think there will be anyone there we'll make a quick drive through the lot and head out again, unless someone chimes up that they will meet us there. Meet Time 1000-1015.
-Third Meetup will be at the Pizza Barn in Center Ossipee, NH where we have stopped for lunch in the past, and if that is the consensus this time as well, we will stop for lunch, before heading out on the Kanc. Meet Time 1100-1130/1230 (Based on whether we stop for lunch or not)

James.

I'm interested!  I wasn't able to do last year, but fully intend to go this year if everything goes well between then and now!!

Thank you James for keeping this GTG alive.
I really enjoyed it when I was up there.
I imagined it was a great view, since all we saw that year was clouds and snow.  :E:

Yes I remember it, then we got chased off the mountain when the storm hit. Hopefully the wether will cooperate this year.

James.

I am very interested, provided I can find a new job by then! I know I have a place to stay in Conway. Keep us updated!!!

Very interested, and thanks for bringing the topic up for discussion  (y)

My schedule is so fluid I will watch, and if schedule allows, I will be there.  I will be silent on prefered dates as my schedule is fluid.

One consideration is with the lack of rain (drought like), then rain, any idea what the experts are predicting for height of foliage season?  Usually a dry spell equates to an early and less spectacular foliage experience.  (I am no foliage expert!)

I just got back today from the lakes region and was picking dead yellow leaves off the truck every morning....

James my kids and I have done the last 3 White MTN foliage runs with you and some of the other folks and have had a great time each time so we would probably be in for this. There is a great restarurant up in that area Fox run, Fox ridge? Can't remember it right now but it is very good. Not sure we woull stay overnight unless it was a Saturday run.

Jon

Man, I'd love to do this again this year, but Oct. 13 just won't work for us. 

--OldVMer

We will do the GTG, but won't be riding up the mountain.
My wife freaked last time because I rode the edge going
up on her side. Now is the time to decide because the dates
are the forecasted peak times. All hotels will be booked solid,
if they aren't already.

Dave

At this point there hasn't been enough interest to organize a group tour up Mt Washington. I've called them, and in order to get a group rate we need at least 25 people. Another difficult thing is after Columbus day they may not keep the road open, and the weather gets more active up on top. So I plan on just doing another run up the Kanc.

James.

I just had a lot going on the past month, and I didn't announce it early enough to get a lot of interest.

James.

Yes it still is going to be Oct 13 or 14.

I am away from home right now but when I return I will start to finalize plans.

James.

We are interested and will be going we have fun every time. Btw we were u there last weekend @ Clark's trading Post for steam weekend and the leaves were already starting to turn. Hope we get a good turn out this year.

We are still planning on attending. Hopefully I can do
my cladding before that(RR). Rotted nerfs are finally gone and replaced.

Dave

Back