• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Wheel bearing life ???

I bought my '06 AV as gm certified a 3 years ago , same time I joined this forum. Had 40 K on it then . Now with under 55K on it my dealer is refusing it for inspection because of a wheel bearing ???  530 $$ for that .
Is it age or miles that wears out a wheel bearing ?
Mostly highway miles , a few dirt roads , and it does snow here in upstate ny . I don't drive it hard , too much $$ invested to go there .
Is the dealer likely just keeping his mechanics busy and trying to make some $$  ???
55 K , is that some kind of record for poor quality ? I love the truck , it does everything I need a truck for and does it well.  Just wondering if this is common , or should I take it to someplace else for a 2nd opinion ?

I am not much of a mechanic, but my avalanche has stock wheel bearings its an 02 with 220xxx miles and i think the rears are just starting to go, i hear a faint squeal when i drive. and from other friends i know who own tahoes or suburbans they have never replaced them and both have over 100k, so i'd say you just had some back luck with that part. but don't go to the dealer if you don't have warentee they kill you in charges and poop you don't need. see if you could find a reliable shop to do it and save some $$ cause the more you save the more mods you could do! Hoped this helped a little!

Back