• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

I am deeply saddened by the discontinuation of the Avalanche. Anyone else?

hbarnett

i was born in 1996 and in 02 when they started these i remember seeing them on the road and just loving them. they are huge i love the cladding/plastic and they are just different than anything else on the road. now that i finally have one i see how useful they really are. my z71 has one of the smoothest rides of anything ive ever ridden in but its still very capable in bad weather/off road use.  there is so much storage in them from the midgate bed to just little console things in the cab.  some people feel the 5.3 is too small i personally think its very good and gets the job done.. plenty of power and you can hear the engine just rumbling waiting on you to try it.. you guys know exactly what im talking about and thats just something other vehicle owners dont understand.  sorry to go on a rant sort of but it really sucks seeing my favorite truck by far being discontinued.

I'm getting ready to bring home my 3rd Avalanche. Yes, I'm sad to see them go away. I'm hopeful that GM will continue the concept in some way.

naylor99 said:
I'm getting ready to bring home my 3rd Avalanche. Yes, I'm sad to see them go away. I'm hopeful that GM will continue the concept in some way.

Maybe down the road, somebody will put a midgate back on some model of pickup truck. All these crew cab trucks have  such short beds now and if you get one with a long bed the truck is crazy big. The Avay is the only crew cab vehicle that will even fit into my garage. The Avay at 121 inches barely fits now. With a regular crew cab pickup at 230 inches, I would have to jam it up into the wall and I'm still not sure if the garage door would close without hitting the bumper.

I bought mine in 02 new still love it, so much i'm thinking of buying a 13 2500 so ive got the first and last year made as an original owner.  wife thinks i'm nuts

They do not make 2013 2500.... only 1500

Alaska_AV. said:
been losing sales since 07 on no 2500.
that's because there weren't any real innovative on the new avalanche.  If they offer features found in 2014 GM trucks on the avalanche, i guarantee u that avalanche sales will sail again.

I agree with some of the statements because i have owned 3 avalanches and have found that there were no innovations to keep them other than the versatility. I am going to wait until someone returns their 2013 from a lease and it is the color and features i am looking for.  I strongly feel that GM should consider changing the avalanche and making it with features that come with silverados or better to make it stand out, it was a great vehicle and it was constantly being used for areas where others couldn't. Sorry to see it end.

I came upon a company website the other day, it's a company that converts Silverado's to Avalanche's, to deal with the discontinuation. I'll find the link!

I bought my '02 Z66 new and still love it! So much so, I have no desire for a new truck. Not even a new AV!

They caught my eye when they first came out. I remember telling by brother how much I liked'em and that I wanted one. That turkey went out and bought one. He got his first. I was pissed...  :beating:

I loved the look and the versatility of the truck. It fits my personality; Jack of all trades... ;)

I hate they are discontinuing the truck and I agree, they should AT LEAST add the mid-gate to the Silverado line if they have to discontinue one.

Having one of the first and last years model would be kinda cool...  (y)

I was counting on going to my 4th Avy and I'm disappointed the number 1 truck (recognized as best truck in Canada by Consumer's Report) is no longer. I get the low sales issue, but how does GM give up number 1 status. They should find another solution to boost sales for a very innovative concept (mid-gate, extra battery tray, various configurations, roof rack, gobbs of standard features).  Shame on their marketing people. I was looking at the Silverado, but could not get a price point equal to Avy with similar features. It will be interesting to see what happens with the mid gate topic as the patent GM probably has on this feature may run out??????

What is there to be sad or pissed about? It's not like it died....there will still be some Avy's around long after we are gone....... like the El Camino of the 60s, the Avalanche will pass into history. And my buddy's El Camino which still looks and runs great is now worth more than his house. If your Avy is properly maintained, it will be the same great vehicle 20+ years from now......and with the direction our economy is headed and at the rate the Mint is popping out Franklins, will be worth millions by then.

I suspect that discontinuing the Avy has less to do with slipping sales and more to do with Government mandates to increase fleet mileage in hopes that the potential Avy market will shift to higher mileage crossovers.

Traded all my vehicles for a loaded black '12 LT and Fairway '13 LTZ71 which properly cared for will be all the vehicles I'll ever need....no way I'm ever going to stuff my ass into a Spark or some cramped high mileage POS that the Government is trying to push on us no matter what the cost of gas......and I can always rent a wreck for those occasions when I travel to some crowded city or crappy area..........and soon the cost of gas won't be a major concern compared to what we will paying once the Government shifts to taxing us for mileage!

Well I have owned two Avalanche's, an 02 and my 03 that I still have.
The 02 was the first one that the Dealership that I work at got in because I ordered it before most people that I work with knew what an Avalanche was.

I wish they never ended production of the 2500, I love the truck even thought it loves gas, it has the big block power that few of us have experienced.

The Av doesn't ride like a truck, that I have loved for over 10 years.

I'm really bummed by the discontinuation of the Avalanche.  I have been thinking about upgrading from my 03 but I'm not ready to buy a new one yet.  Wife says she get a new car first.  I came across a 07 with 47,000 that I really like.  I'm going to have to settle for buying a used one, which is fine.  I love my Avalanche! I will definitely keep driving one until they are all gone.

I was told by a salesman that GM will bring back the Avalanche in 2016.  Who knows what it will look like then as we know GM screws up good things.  :beating:

The first one a I had was a 2008 and now I have a 2012. Best trucks I have ever had. I think GM is making a big mistake !!

I had a 2002 as well then when I needed a new truck I got the 2011.  I am sad to hear they are going to stop production.

I ordered mine in April '01 then swapped to a loaded one in June 2004  :B: 

It was sadder when they discontinued cladding and the 2500 after the '06 model year.

I don't dislike the GMT900 version, just don't have any special feelings toward it.

It's not the first time GM has shot themselves in the foot. Not sure what I would buy if I needed too.

Be real, the Avalanche was a concept design using mostly off the shelf parts.
It's a wonder it got built in the first place let alone a dozen year run.

Assembly plants and their suppliers need to run 3 shifts at maximum capacity today. On the plus side of that is they are tooling for much quicker model changes and the ability to run multiple products off the same assembly lines.

keep complaining and maybe they'll build it eventually  :wave:

I'm pissed that the Avy is gone. I first fell in love with the design when I saw a pic of one in a magazine in a mall up in Virginia back in 2000 or 2001.  I wasn't until 2003 until I was able to buy a low mileage 2002, loaded Z71, Black. I love it and can't think of any other vehicle I would even consider. Where else can you find one that can carry the passengers, and switch over to an 8 foot load in no time. It's the perfect design and so versitle and very comfortable on trips. Hope I can afford a 2013 soon while the mileage is still low.

Back