• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Changing head units

janu

I have a 2005 model. I am considering changing the head unit. but I can't find a replacement head unit that will allow me to use both the controls on the steering wheel and the rear controls.

Any Suggestions?
If you are only using the steering wheel controls what are you doing with the back seat stereo controls?

if you go with a aftermarket HU, you can make everything work but you'll need some pricey adapters. Try looking at the Crutchfield on line site, it will pretty much tell you what adapters you need for each unit HU shown based on your year / model.
Good luck  it's quite a process!

Yeah that's putting it lightly!  :) 
The HU I was planning to use is pure Android from this company.
https://www.carjoying.com/

A friend put one in a tacoma and it's a pretty nice unit.
Just doesn't seem to "easily" adaptable for the older chevy's.
Most of the cabling I found through crutchfield.  Just not sure what kind of issue I may have trying to go between a 2007 adapter for the HU to 2005 for the avalanche.

Seems to me like you should stick with www.crutchfield.com and talk to the customer service techs so they can advise you for the correct head unit/ wiring adapter combo to use.
(You have been looking for 4 years and haven't bought a system yet?)  >:D

Vaeagleav said:
Seems to me like you should stick with www.crutchfield.com and talk to the customer service techs so they can advise you for the correct head unit/ wiring adapter combo to use.
(You have been looking for 4 years and haven't bought a system yet?)  >:D

haha.. yeah.. decisions decisions!!
don't want to get to hasty with your choices.

I gave up on finding a decent story with dual controls.  That's almost impossible.

You won't find anything that uses the rear controls. If you add a head unit you need to plan to loose those. You CAN however make use of the steering wheel controls.

As I mentioned you will either have to bypass your amplifier or get an integration adapter to use it as well.

I have a 2006 Nav headunit that I'm upgrading soon. Not sure what it would take to make it work on your Av (prob a PITA) but if you're interested...

Back