• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Steering Wheel Position Sensor

GMalanche

Has anyone replaced the Steering Wheel Position Sensor at the base of the steering shaft tube (attached to the lower bearing)? I need to remove the sensor so I can replace the lower bearing and am under the impression that it needs to be "centered" when re installing it. Should I make a mark on the sensor and re install it in the same position as it was removed? I want to make sure it is installed correctly so it does not effect the EVO valve and disrupt the steering effort. Any and all help / suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for the installation information. I came across some info a while back (GM documents I think) identifying the different sensors; yours was a bit more complete in that it said to "pin" the sensor when removing. It also mentioned spacing the sensor about 3.0mm from the bearing assembly. I was lucky in that the sensor that I removed was a double "D" and fit only two ways on the shaft if it was moved. I made sure it did not move and installed it exactly as I removed it. The only thing I did not do was to space it aprox. 3.0mm from the housing. As I recall, it fit flush to the housing and I most likely would not have been able to move it back and fourth. So now I have a new bearing, sensor installed and a new GM ISS; it's like a new AVY. :love:

old thread but have the same problem how do i go about removing the sensor & bearing without messing things up, tried multiple big zip ties to stabilise the bottom of the shaft and it helps a tiny bit , suspect both upper and lower bearings have died but want to start at the easier end

thanks,
SS

speedysteveabz said:
old thread but have the same problem how do i go about removing the sensor & bearing without messing things up, tried multiple big zip ties to stabilise the bottom of the shaft and it helps a tiny bit , suspect both upper and lower bearings have died but want to start at the easier end

thanks,
SS
info sent to your email

miked940 said:
I know this is a old thread, anyway itsStopher can send me that .pdf
when I get home I n a few hours I will send it.

:welcome: to the club  :wave:

Sorry for the :jacked:

ItsStopher you are to only person that has the Nationals banner in your Signature. (y)

I have the same problem too.  You still out there ItsStopher?  I could really use your help.

Jefe said:
I have the same problem too.  You still out there ItsStopher?  I could really use your help.
I just sent it to your email.

Looks like it is my turn, ItsStopher any chance you can send to me? Thanx in adance...

just going to post some pics that may help.  one is from an 2002 Avalanche and one from 2003. the differences I found are the steering wheel mount size and color of the speed sensor. Most other parts switched over, didn't give  sensor much consideration when I traded them out.  from this old mod http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,113065.0.html

Attachments

• akavcul.jpg
    akavcul.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 27
  • akav wheel 1.jpg
    akav wheel 1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 27
  • akav wheel 2.jpg
    akav wheel 2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 27
Back