• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

'02-'06 vs '07-'13

KMK2K15

This will probably end up biased being that I put it in the '02-'06 section but what are you opinions between the two generations? While I like the refinement of the new style, I prefer the more rugged style of my '04. In my head I classify the difference as the old ones being more of a truck while the new Avs are more of an sport-ute. How about you?

I'll say the NBS are more civilized than the older ones.

I see positives with all the year models.  However, I would not have bought my 02 unless it had the cladding.  Appearance wise, that is what set it apart from anything else on the market.

I like the way the holes in my muffler make my 5.3 roar! but really the 02-06 are way louder and feel more truck like to me the 07+ feel like I am driving a Tahoe! also I like the gas petal on the 02 when you push er to the ground its much more satisfying when you hear the old 5.3 scream like a blond lady in a horror movie

Well it depends what you have done to it, I have turn down exhaust and it screams like nothing around here. Even trucks with the same muffler and engine sound different than mine do.  :love:

Wow sure woke up an older thread here....
This debate has gone on for years probably since the WBH introduction but definitely since the second generation of AVs in 2007.
I have owned a 2004 WBH and a 2008 both Z71 and loved them both but feel the 2008 is more comfortable and works better for me and my family. The 2004 did seem more truck like and the 2008 is more like an SUV. AS far as sound I have had a Corsa Sport on both and love the sound since 2004...
As far as cladding there is a whole long old thread about the positives and negatives of it. I see the benefits of it and think it's best suited for a serious off road truck. I know many first time buyers stayed away in 2002 since the cladding made an expensive truck look cheap like a Tonka toy, sales went up when the WBH was introduced.

But the thing is that at the same time, if you ding somebodies door or gently scrape along the cladding, you dont ruin paint, you ruin plastic that can be replaced or fixed

I agree in the sense each has its merits. I love my 02 for the fact that you don't worry so much about damaging the cladding. I put in dents and pulled them out with little problems. My dad's 2010 is a smooth truck, and he got the 6.2 from factory. But it feels more of a luxury suv and less and less like a truck. But I guess its about what you want. My 0.02  :B:

Cladding is cool! I do like the truck feel better than the SUV feel of my 02. I do like the looks of some of the 07 and newer I have seen. Can't I just have one of each and be done with it?

raiderron said:
Cladding is cool! I do like the truck feel better than the SUV feel of my 02. I do like the looks of some of the 07 and newer I have seen. Can't I just have one of each and be done with it?

I meant the truck feel of my 02, not of the 07 and newer SUV feel. I think I knew what I meant? LOL!

I would hope they fixed some of the problems of the early models on the Gen2's.
I do like the look of the front end on the early WBH models.

Bah, tbh, the WBH kinda looks like the feminine version of the Avalanche (I own this one).  LOL the cladded looks more like a manly truck. :p Does any one think that?

Note: I hate to say it but Mrs. Burton (my wife) looks really good driving the Avy.

in my opinion I can only stand the cladding on three colors black, white and yellow being the best.  However I can't stand faded plastic.

That is my thing right there. I think it looks good ONLY if the cladding is kept up and a dark black. As far as color-, pweter, blue, green, red, yellow, gray, black, white, whatever, as long as the cladding is a dark black, it looks good. If it isnt, then no I dont like it

I have both a 2002 and 2004 and both were bought new and are both 2500's with the 8.1 engine.........I love em and would not buy anything newer than a 2006 as they discontinued the engine...The 8.1 makes the truck.  IMO

Dix 2500 said:
I have both a 2002 and 2004 and both were bought new and are both 2500's with the 8.1 engine.........I love em and would not buy anything newer than a 2006 as they discontinued the engine...The 8.1 makes the truck.  IMO

(y) There's no replacement for displacement...

I love the cladded ones. Just look better to me. As long as the cladded aint faded like it was on my 02 when i got it. Painted black and just love it. It has also saved the truck from damage several times.

I wouldn't have bought my avy if it didn't have that rugged cladding  :love: the plastic is faded but it dosent look bad because it kinda matches the pewter metallic on it (and k constantly have it dirty because I off road a lot)

I really did not expect to respond to this post when I first started reading it.

My first Avalanche was a Cladded 03 and it wasn't unti the day I went pick it up that I discovered the WBH Model. I gave it a quick consideration, but in the end, it didn't matter. I did the 24 Hour Chevrolet In The Driveway Campign. I liked the way it drove, checked out the Mid Gate, Rear Panels, Side Boxes, and it even Passed the Wife Test. (Thank you for the separate side heater controls!)

That poor 03 Avalanche was the only vehicle I've ever owned that accumulated the most Door Dings in the region between the top of the Cladding and the Door Handles of any vehicle I've ever owned. I'm sure the Cladding helped with the shopping carts, but I always wondered Why I acquired so many Parking Lot Scars with that Truck or Ute. For those that know me, I have had access to the Widest spaces available in all 50 States, most U.S. Possessions, and many reciprocating Nations I have ever visited or would desire to do so.

The 2010 was without dings in 35 months of ownership, and the current Black Diamond only has a serious Rock Chip/Ding on the hood.

Since I've had both, and more than one without Cladding, I'd still go with either if I had to choose again. They were all Great! The Real Question is to would I stay in the Past, or move on to the Future? I hope I'm buried with my current Daily Driver and not have to make that decision.

Upgrades to Bluetooth, Seat heaters/coolers, head units, and the underscored refinements to the AFM and various aspects peculiar to the entire range for what we have come to know the Avalanche to be, it may just come down to be a decision now for what the color is or not, how many miles, and how much work it may take to bring it back up to the way it was on the show room floor. (I can't wait until my 36 Months/3K miles happens so I can get rid of OnScare & Silliious XM too. Our Cell Phones can do so much more and have near Complete Connectivity too! (Yes, I took advantage of a an offering for the 7 years/100K mile extended warranty. I'm committed.)

Is there a Corvair Forum? (I'm just kidding, but in the end, does it matter?) I just Fact Checked myself and it looks like there is a Corvair forum. Time Warps are Okay for those that need them. We were all Young Once and may always still try to be.)

Keep your vehicles up to specs, mod as you desire, but please, understand, the iterations since 2001, as a 2002, went though a few variations/iterations to hit a target audience. I'm coming to realize there were many of us that jumped at the opportunity for change, others that just took a chance for something different, and then, then many that realized this could be fun. And many that jumped on to More Change since then too by moving on to other options for their specific needs.

On this eve of Thanksgiving, I'm grateful that we are still discussing this silly and special vehicle that I have always referred to being a Swiss Army Knife. How many vehicles are produced in Switzerland?

Enjoy your Ride.

There's no 2500 8.1L in NBS.  I love my 2500 towing beast
02-06 easier to work on, IMO.  I love my 1500 off road beast

07+ smoother, sleek...but not my style.  They're too pretty to take off road and ruggedize.

Overall, if it's an Avalanche, I'm a fan.

Back