• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Auxillary USB jack and IPOD Classic

spidey

I ahve had my truck since June, and this is the first time I have tried this.

I have an old Ipod Classic (20GB) and finally pulled it out of storage to use in my truck.  Got it to full charge in my house and went to use it in my truck

I get the message connecting and then that goes away right away.  Afer that I cant connect to it using the Srce button.  Picks everything else, cd, am, fm and XM radio, but no MP3 player.

Anyone else have this issue?  I was looking forward to using this in my truck, but thought it was basically plug it in and it works

Anything I might be missing?  Thanks

I just noticed exact same behaviour with a "non apple" device. In your case I would suggest check the cable. Sometimes the cable makes that happen.

giovanni.anfossy said:
I just noticed exact same behaviour with a "non apple" device. In your case I would suggest check the cable. Sometimes the cable makes that happen.

Well I tried something and while still not working getting a different error.  I fully charged the Ipod at home.  I know the battery is going on it, and I know the USB port in the truck has a different voltage then a charger I use at home.

Thsi time with a full charge it actually saw it and connected, but now says USB device not recognized.

the USB will not work with the Ipod classic ... I have, an old Ipod touch and I inquired about it at the dealer in the new trucks and they said mine would not work if I was to get a new truck with a usb ....

(n)

Intimidatoruag said:
the USB will not work with the Ipod classic ... I have, an old Ipod touch and I inquired about it at the dealer in the new trucks and they said mine would not work if I was to get a new truck with a usb ....

(n)

Really?  Well thats crappy, its older sure but still holds tons of songs.  Maybe I will just get a big usb drive and put it in there.  Only thing the IPOD would do double duty in the summer so I can use it in my trailer to.

yep ... I was bumbed ..... 1st thing I tried to do when I test drove one ... came back and asked the sales guy about it .... showed him my touch ... and I got "too old.  Won't work in it" .... I think he said you need at least a 3rd gen one .... don't remember exactly ....  :beating:

so there was no sale that day ....  :cry:

According to my manual;

"Fifth generation or later iPod nanos, iPod touch, iPod classic"

naylor99 said:
According to my manual;

"Fifth generation or later iPod nanos, iPod touch, iPod classic"

Goody, mine definitly isnt that, old 20GB so I think 3rd generation.  Guess that means I will have to figure something else out for MP3's

Anyone here just use a USB stick for MP3's.  Is the way it works the same as an Ipod, sicne really an ipod classic is just a mini hard drive.

Ive been debating about getting a portable USB drive, they are cheao now, and the console allows for the room.

IS there  a size limit with the USB port.  Id really like to get my 10,000 songs into my truck

ok ... now I'm pissed .... My wife got my daughter a new itouch at thanksgiving ... got all the music on it .... plugged it into the USB port ... started to play a song .... hit the up arrow to change the song ... nothing ..... would not change .... push the down arrow on the steering wheel and the song starts over but will not move to the next song .... @$#@!#$!#$%@#$%!!@#$%!!!!!!

John

I am experiencing similar problems with my Iphone 3GS. When I attach the cable it recognizes the phone and plays just fine,
after a certain amount of time, it varies, it will stop playing and will not respond to any menu commands. If I unplug the cable
then reattach it, it resumes exactly at the song it was playing when it stopped. Intermittently when reattaching the cable it will display
a message saying "incompatible usb device". Tried 3 different cable's.
2013 Black Diamond LTZ
JP

jpatte09 said:
I am experiencing similar problems with my Iphone 3GS. When I attach the cable it recognizes the phone and plays just fine,
after a certain amount of time, it varies, it will stop playing and will not respond to any menu commands. If I unplug the cable
then reattach it, it resumes exactly at the song it was playing when it stopped. Intermittently when reattaching the cable it will display
a message saying "incompatible usb device". Tried 3 different cable's.
2013 Black Diamond LTZ
JP

Looks like Chevy may have to take some advice from Ford with this sort of stuff.  We have a Ford Taurus X with Sync, which is light years ahead of the Avy set up.  Never had an issue with thr system or using older models of Ipods.  This is the system where it has voice commands.

In comparison, the Chevy one with manual controls, etc is a very simple setup, yet it seems they cant get it right.

Back