• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Moisture in the third brake light

vicsim

I have a 2013 Black Diamond with 2000 miles.  This is my second Avalanche as my first was a 2005. Anyway, I noticed moisture in the third brake light.  The service manager said this is normal but, I haven't seen moisture in other Avalanches third brake lights.  The service manager said there are vent holes in the lens that allow moisture to come into the light and also allows it to escape. My moisture does not escape and I think there shouldn't be any moisture in and around the electric components.  After a few years this could lead to other problems.  Am I correct in this thinking?  Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm not sure the dealer is correct either they are suppose to be sealed.

Thanks. I'm headed back to the dealer!

Wait till you read this.

Since my first post with the moisture in the third brake light I have had not one, not two but three third brake light replaced in my 2013 black diamond.. Guess what, there is moisture in the third (replaced) brake light and the dealer doesn't want to replace it again.  I called GM and they first agreed with me but later said it was an weather conditions issue.  They suggested to drill a few holes in it to let the water out but that is not going to happen.  I want the third brake light to be moisture free and sealed completely.  I won't settle for anything less.  GM asked me to go back to the dealer and talk with the service manager.  I will do this but they will replace the light.  The dealership told me there are no problems with anyother third brake lights except for mine.  They implied that I was the cause but that didn't go anywhere with me.  Since I was told that I was the only problem I have been noticing many other Chevrolet's with the same problem.  I am making up small business type cards to place on the windshields or other owners to make them aware or the problem.

What did you find from the dealer?  I am seeing moisture in my third brake light as well.  I do see a couple of vent holes on the face of the brake light.

Had a few droplets in the third brake light of my '12 with colored body components which has the same long LED light as the '13s....then had a lot of water after the recent Nor-easter.....the light still worked but sooner or later the LED electronics will corrode or short out.

Told the dealer to order a new unit when he examined it but he said no because it may just be a seal.......took a second visit to examine it..........then a third to replace it....took almost 2 months to get the part because it is back ordered and he finally had to put in some emergency request to get it.

It is designed as a sealed unit and the lens and back are either glued or sonic welded together... I wouldn't settle for a kludge fix to reseal any cracks or leaks....it is located in a poor location to stay dry, even a small leak can have expensive consequences out of warranty......if there are droplets in it, the seal integrity is gone it has crapped out and must be replaced......must really kill them to replace a $400. part under warranty.

Even small leaks or moisture is not normal. Bought a '13 Z71 after 3 months of rain and snow storms, its brake light, and the replacement in the '12, remain bone dry

Thanks for the info and tips.  Looking at the light assembly again, there is moisture all the way across the lens.  I'll be heading to the dealer soon to get this resolve.

I just bought my 2013.  When I was test driving, it was a cold day and I noticed lots of condensation on the interior of the brake light.  I could tap it and see the droplets fall on the inside.  I pointed this out to the sales guy and he said it was normal.  I walked the lot while he was inside.  There were 4 other AVs on the lot and all but one had the same moisture.  The fourth looked dry.  I told them I was concerned and they assured me that if it was a problem it would be a warranty repair. 

RickJ_03AV said:
I just bought my 2013.  When I was test driving, it was a cold day and I noticed lots of condensation on the interior of the brake light.  I could tap it and see the droplets fall on the inside.  I pointed this out to the sales guy and he said it was normal.  I walked the lot while he was inside.  There were 4 other AVs on the lot and all but one had the same moisture.  The fourth looked dry.  I told them I was concerned and they assured me that if it was a problem it would be a warranty repair. 

If it was a problem?....it IS a problem! Why would someone design a lens with vent holes if water is not supposed to get in there in the first place? Tried to evaporate it when it first happened on my '12 with the optional LED bar light while waiting over a month for the part which was nationwide backordered at the time......the fogging/water in my '12 didn't disappear even after parking it facing the blazing sun for a few days. Besides reducing the effectiveness of the light output, water in a lens will either corrode the bulb contacts on an incadescent bulb or eventually short out the circuit board in an LED bar.

Follow up to my previous post************After a few more months my '13 developed condensate in the third brake light also....only a light fogging with a few water droplets, not like my previous '12 where the LED light had pooling water.....took it to the dealer, no questions or comments this time, just confirmed water droplets and a week later installed a new one under warranty in my '13......both replacements still remain water and condensate free

Water or moisture does not belong in this light......it is a sealed unit.....further the replacement lights appear to be a slightly different than the originals (on my late '12 and early '13 manufactured vehicles). On the newer lenses the red opaque border at the ends of the light appear to be larger with a smaller clear lens area.

Thanks for the info.  That is why I love this forum.  I don't even have the plates and title work done and I'm heading in for a warranty repair.  I guess I still haven't learned to not believe anything a salesman says.  I didn't fall for all the undercoating, paint sealant  nonsense but I did extend my warranty.  I think after reading consumer reports they suckered me on that deal.  Oh well.  Love my new truck, if it runs like my 2003 I'll be keeping it for 10 years too.
thanks again.
Rick

Follow up.  The local dealer replaced at no cost.  I've found that going to the GM website and registering your vehicle there helps.  I got a quote from the dealer, then complained to tech support on GM site.  They contacted the dealer and got it done for free.  Recently had my rear window frame crack apart in 3 places.  Dealer wanted $760, complained to GM and got it for $100.

Just checked my January built 2013 and there is no water/condensation in the light.  It just rained heavy a couple of days ago.  It does appear to be the one described as having less clear plastic and more of the red border area.

I have had mines replaced 5 times now.  My 2012 avalanche truck, has not been out of the shop for 2months and I have to put it back in because of the water leaks. It seems like Chevy does not know how to fix this issue.

My replacement LED third brake light has been in for well over 2 years now.  I am happy to say that it is still dry (knock on wood that it stays that way, I am out of warranty now lol). 

I have a 2013 Black Diamond with 2000 miles. This is my second Avalanche as my first was a 2005. Anyway, I noticed moisture in the third brake light. The service manager said this is normal but, I haven't seen moisture in other Avalanches third brake lights. The service manager said there are vent holes in the lens that allow moisture to come into the light and also allows it to escape. My moisture does not escape and I think there shouldn't be any moisture in and around the electric components. After a few years this could lead to other problems. Am I correct in this thinking? Does anyone have any suggestions?
I also have a 2013 BD Avalanche.
The 3rd brake light burned out and the dealer said it was because of moisture in the light.
I had a bumper to bumper warranty and thought it would be covered. Nope
They said the
Warranty doesn’t cover Light bulbs!!
Installed the new bulb was just under $800.oo dealer told be they have a special procedure to install it and seal it.
One year later,
It has moisture in it🤬

13' BD here also and have been noticing that the 3rd brake light always has moisture in it. I do tap it periodically to get the moisture to drop on the inside. Been like that for over a year now and luckily it hasn't burnt out yet.

Back