• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Battery Not Charging on DIC

spetch

04 Av 4x4 with 128k miles, original alternator, Altima Yellowt. p battery. Today is the coldest day for months (20 degrees).  Went out to the parking garage after work, started truck, and DIC says "Battery Not Charging." Battery light is on.  Voltage gauge sat around 11-12 volts while running.   Belt was spinning just fine.  Connectors looked fine. I decided to drive it to a repair facility to check it out.  15 minutes later, the voltage jumped up to 14 volts running (normal),  and the message went away, and battery light went out.

Ideas?  Can low temperature affect the alternator or voltage regulator? Is the regulator inside the alternator?  Is this an early indicator of alternator failure?

Regulator is indeed inside the alternator. Sounds like it just might be starting to go. That or that Yellow Top didn't like the idea of being out in the cold and didn't want to charge.

Reseat alternator connectors, make sure ground connection is clean, check/clean battery posts and connectors, and hope for the best. When that doesn't help, I'd bet on the alternator electronics but make sure battery is good first.

Yeah, shortly after that the battery died.  It turned out to be a failing alternator (or the regulator in the alternator). I replaced the alternator myself, and all was good again.

Be aware that Optima batteries can take out an alternator if allowed to get discharged too much. Due to its design if it gets near dead it will be seen as an almost direct short and will DRASTICALLY load the alternator. If you have an Optima and you need a jump you are better off throwing it on a battery charger first.

Yellow tops are deep cycle and intended to be used in Marine applications. Red tops are more for automotive usage. Not sure what the blue tops are for as those came around after I had my issues with the red tops and swore off using Optima batteries after loosing 2 alternators and countless corroded connectors due to the red tops I had.

While they have quick discharge and are "cool" for some features they have very few positives for use in a daily driver and none that make a difference. I found that a lot of the claims are bogus as they still are a standard battery with a few modifications.

YMMV

Back