• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Brushed aluminum interior inserts

Dagryme

Has anyone changed out their faux wood inserts for the Z71 brushed aluminum inserts.

Attachments

• Z71 Interior.jpg
    Z71 Interior.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 777
There should be some old threads where members have done the swap. I think I remember where one member liked the wood and another liked the metal so they swapped inserts. You may be able to find sets for sale from time to time on this site. It is a direct replacement procedure.
If you are in a hurry you may find parts on EBay/ a junkyard or at your dealer.

Thanks for the tip, I am getting the entire dash done in leather and it will look better in brushed aluminum than in wood.

Dagryme said:
Thanks for the tip, I am getting the entire dash done in leather and it will look better in brushed aluminum than in wood.

Ever considered Carbon Fiber?
(it's an actual textured 3M vinyl that is VERY realistic, easy to apply, and Cheap!!)

3DCF4_250tn.jpg

http://www.carbonfibervinyl.com/

http://www.topvinylfilms.com/catalog/Carbon_Fiber_Sheet-4-1.html?gclid=CPqHs7WhhbUCFawWMgodZTgAIA

3dcffab1.jpg

I haven't done the swap but i want to. It's about $500 to do all the standard pieces on an LT and $650 to do the standard pieces plus the center console cup holder insert with the 2 doors in stainless. Some had new part numbers listed.

Drivers Side Dash trim w/ vent
25807743 - $121.35

Passenger Side Dash w/ vents
Old Part Number: 25807745
New Part Number: 20935584 - $106.15

Radio Bezel
Part Number: 25807746 - $97.99

Front Drivers Side Window w/o power folding mirror

Part Number: 15920637 - $46.63

Front Passenger Side Window
Part Number: 25909716-$40.77

Rear Drivers Side Window
Part Number: 25909747 - $21.97

Rear Passenger Side Window
Old Part Number: 25801747
New Part Number 25909753 - $21.60

Center Console Insert
Old Part Number: 20811674
New Part Number: 20951471 - $135.10

Steering Wheel Cover - Right
Part Number: 25824700 - $44.70

Steering Wheel Cover - Left
Part Number: 25824698 - $44.12

Total without console piece shipped - $502.11
Total with console piece shipped - $650.72
Total with console piece and steering wheel pieces - $680.38

I was considering a wrap like di-noc too. The dash pieces should be easy. I don't know how the door switch covers would be to wrap. I also looked at the overlay pieces like B&I and Remin. The B&I molded 3D pieces seem like the best but its not available in a stainless finish. Blackwood is the closest. Its $273. The 2D overlay B&I kit is also $273. It comes with more pieces than I would use. The Remin one you have to get the Full kit which is $351 and comes with a ton of overlays. For that price it's better just to get the OEM pieces.

I like the Carbon Fiber but for the cost...I'll wait

I am working on doing this switch out right now...
I will post the final part numbers/pics once i get all installed to verify they are correct...
One thing to be aware of is the front door window/mirror/lock/etc plates changed at some point... 07/08 are different then 2010-2013 not sure where 09 falls...
I also ordered the center console trim peice from an H2 - looks like a very close match... (Replaces black plastic on armrest area with a stainless trimmed piece)

chevyguy_72 said:
I am working on doing this switch out right now...
I will post the final part numbers/pics once i get all installed to verify they are correct...
One thing to be aware of is the front door window/mirror/lock/etc plates changed at some point... 07/08 are different then 2010-2013 not sure where 09 falls...
I also ordered the center console trim peice from an H2 - looks like a very close match... (Replaces black plastic on armrest area with a stainless trimmed piece)

I'm pretty sure 09 is is the same as 07-08 but they are also different if you have power folding mirrors. My LT has power mirrors but not power folding.

I may try to see how 3M scotchprint brushed aluminum matches up to the vents.

Re: lt1mcss ' aluminum swap

There is also a brushed aluminum  part that replaces the black top/tray and button assembly on the center console armrest that was posted in one of these forums. A  Hummer part that exactly replaces it.....I bought it from gmpartsdirect.com:

Part #      19208238  PUSHBUTTO    $78.17

Finish is very slightly brighter but so close you would have to be a real nit picker top notice, besides the finish on all the aluminum trim looks brighter or darker depending on the angle.  Along with the center console insert it really finishes off the interior of the Z71. I ordered with a new rubber mat insert which is not necessary becuase the part comes with a new insert.

To remove the old tray & button assembly, there are four screws accessible by pulling up the rubber mat, but in order to remove the part you have to open the armrest and unscrew the inner liner to get to the remaining two screws.

Attachments

• DSCN0690.JPG
    DSCN0690.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 661
  • DSCN0691.JPG
    DSCN0691.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 657
Yikes! I'd prefer the brushed aluminum or even a nice vinyl wrap to the faux wood, but it doesn't bother me nearly enough to make it worth spending $600 and hours of time to change it.

Anyone tried a vinyl overlay without removing all the parts? Not sure if it is even feasible, but I might go for that if it looked good...

I knew about the center console lid pieces but I probably wouldn't swap that due to cost. If I do it, I'm not even going to do the steering wheel pieces. Maybe later on I will. I would do the center console piece though because it does finish it off nice like you said. Id I decide not to swap I'm going to get the woodgrain center console piece. I do like the stainless better which is why I have held out. I don't want to buy a woodgrain one and decide to do the brushed aluminum swap.

Anyone have the part number for the front driver switch plate w\power folding mirrors?
My dealer has ordered 2 different ones and both have been for without power folding mirrors.
I know they exist...
PQ_640.jpg

chevyguy_72 said:
Anyone have the part number for the front driver switch plate w\power folding mirrors?
My dealer has ordered 2 different ones and both have been for without power folding mirrors.
I know they exist...
PQ_640.jpg

This should be it 20877680

Just the trim piece $40
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIERRA-SILVERADO-YUKON-TAHOE-LH-FRONT-METAL-BRUSH-WINDOW-SWITCH-BEZEL-20877680-/330856368547?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d089389a3&vxp=mtr

With new switches $105
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-GM-FRONT-LH-WINDOW-SWITCH-W-METAL-BRUSH-BEZEL-20877680-/230761943750?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35ba7bd2c6&vxp=mtr

lt1mcss said:

Just the trim piece $40
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIERRA-SILVERADO-YUKON-TAHOE-LH-FRONT-METAL-BRUSH-WINDOW-SWITCH-BEZEL-20877680-/330856368547?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d089389a3&vxp=mtr

With new switches $105
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-GM-FRONT-LH-WINDOW-SWITCH-W-METAL-BRUSH-BEZEL-20877680-/230761943750?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35ba7bd2c6&vxp=mtr

Yep that looks like it...
I will call my dealer in the morning and hopefully they can get it quick
Thanks for the info

Compared the driver's bezels on my Avys...one has the power folding mirrors, the other doesn't

If you just want the bezel plate, it should be the same part with or without folding mirrors, the dimensions of the two switch blocks and bezels are identical.....the difference being that there is a black plastic insert of the same size in place of the power mirror rocker switch in the switch block without the power folding mirror

lt1mcss said:

Just the trim piece $40

With new switches $105

Dealer came back saying that wasn't a valid part number
They are now ordering 22968518
That sound right?

Thomcat said:
Compared the driver's bezels on my Avys...one has the power folding mirrors, the other doesn't

If you just want the bezel plate, it should be the same part with or without folding mirrors, the dimensions of the two switch blocks and bezels are identical.....the difference being that there is a black plastic insert of the same size in place of the power mirror rocker switch in the switch block without the power folding mirror
That black insert is molded to the plate... I contemplated cutting it out... but decided that might not turn out so well

How hard is it to remove these trim pieces? I envision a nightmare of little broken plastic tabs...!  :eek:

I did the swap a while back, it's fairly easy, just take your time and have some patience. The clips that hold these things on are pretty solid. Be prepared to pull pretty hard, the plastic will flex a little but shouldn't snap on you.The door switches are the easiest, they just pop right off with a pry tool ( flat screwdriver etc), there might be 1 screw but I don't remember. I recommend wrapping the tool and/or the edge of the piece you're working on with some painters tape to protect the edges. For the radio bezel, stick a pry tool in there, I went bottom left edge, once you get 1 popped, just keep pulling and slowly work around the edge. The dash is the same. Note that the passenger side dash is 1 long piece, includes the vent in all as 1.

HawaiianBrian said:
I did the swap a while back, it's fairly easy, just take your time and have some patience. The clips that hold these things on are pretty solid. Be prepared to pull pretty hard, the plastic will flex a little but shouldn't snap on you.The door switches are the easiest, they just pop right off with a pry tool ( flat screwdriver etc), there might be 1 screw but I don't remember. I recommend wrapping the tool and/or the edge of the piece you're working on with some painters tape to protect the edges. For the radio bezel, stick a pry tool in there, I went bottom left edge, once you get 1 popped, just keep pulling and slowly work around the edge. The dash is the same. Note that the passenger side dash is 1 long piece, includes the vent in all as 1.

Thanks much! I assume you'd have to remove each piece even do a vinyl wrap?

naylor99 said:
Thanks much! I assume you'd have to remove each piece even do a vinyl wrap?
That would be the best way....
you could try to wrap and trim edges without removal but I image you would have mixed results...

chevyguy_72 said:
That sound right?
That black insert is molded to the plate... I contemplated cutting it out... but decided that might not turn out so well

I googled the part number and it just said "plate" with a price of about $85-100 or so. It could be right but I couldn't find a picture. I know some of the part numbers were changed. The number i gave you is definitely a valid part number but it may direct them to the one they gave you. Honestly I would stop dealing with your "dealer" on the issue if the part they ordered is wrong again and just buy the $40 trim piece from ebay.That's why i provided it  :B:  You don't need new switches, just the trim. The piece you get from the dealer is going to have the switches and the trim most likely for that price.

I cut mine when i added power fold mirriors. Thanks fkr link i just bought that plate. Hell of a price thanks for link.
chevyguy_72 said:
That sound right?

lt1mcss said:
I googled the part number and it just said "plate" with a price of about $85-100 or so. It could be right but I couldn't find a picture. I know some of the part numbers were changed. The number i gave you is definitely a valid part number but it may direct them to the one they gave you. Honestly I would stop dealing with your "dealer" on the issue if the part they ordered is wrong again and just buy the $40 trim piece from ebay.That's why i provided it  :B:  You don't need new switches, just the trim. The piece you get from the dealer is going to have the switches and the trim most likely for that price.
I appreciate the info but the dealer is picking up the tab for the parts...
If I don't get it from them it will be out of pocket...
I will let them keep ordering parts on their dime til they get the right one... don't think it should be this difficult.  I gave them the VIN from a vehicle with the correct part installed...
Thanks again
I will post once I figure if this part number is right... should know monday

I decided to do a little of both vinyl and the factory brushed pieces. I got a piece of 3M 1080 Black Brushed wrap to do a couple piece to cover the 2 wood grain pieces to the left and right of the steering wheel and the passenger side piece. I'm also going to wrap the door switches with it too. I'm going to get a factory brushed radio bezel instead of wrapping that. I'm also considering doing the factory brushed GMC console insert and brushed steering wheel pieces as long as the arm rest insert someone posted earlier. I'll post some pictures when it's done. If I get the wrap Friday I'm hoping to maybe wrap my pieces over the weekend.

lt1mcss said:
I decided to do a little of both vinyl and the factory brushed pieces. I got a piece of 3M 1080 Black Brushed wrap to do a couple piece to cover the 2 wood grain pieces to the left and right of the steering wheel and the passenger side piece. I'm also going to wrap the door switches with it too. I'm going to get a factory brushed radio bezel instead of wrapping that. I'm also considering doing the factory brushed GMC console insert and brushed steering wheel pieces as long as the arm rest insert someone posted earlier. I'll post some pictures when it's done. If I get the wrap Friday I'm hoping to maybe wrap my pieces over the weekend.
Finally got all of my pieces and got all installed last night... looks much better than the wood... the armrest piece shown above is a little brighter than the rest of the pieces but it is close...
I will post up some pics tonight

Back