• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Life after Avalanche

HD25002AV

So what is everyone going to buy now that we are near the end of production??  I've had several Avalanches (last was a 2011 LTZ).  I bought a Silverado HD3500 4wd SRW LTZ Crew with the DMax.  Power is awesome and it has the same interior as the Ave.  I really miss the ride and versatility of the Ave though and wish it would still be there as an option.

it is, my Dad just bought a 2013 Avalanche LTZ .  and if like anything else, GM will bring it back in a few years. just like the Camaro.

naylor99 said:
I'm set for a little while.  (y)
It is still available and many have bought 2013's and others are set for a while but as of now, 2013 is the end for a great truck.  I switch vehicles every couple years and have been thinking about a new Avalanche but it might not be available anymore once I'm ready.  So was just curious what Avalanche owners were thinking as replacements....at least until they start building it again.

For me it might be a 2500HD, but i'm not looking yet.

Short of wrecked or stolen my Av's good for at least another five years so no way of knowing but given today's choices, minus the AV, I'd be in a Ford F150.

I plan on keeping a Avalanche forever.  I am still thinking about upgrading to a 2013 model but unsure as I just paid mine off.  Either way I will always have an Avalanche.  I do think at some point in time I will lease a new Silverado for a daily driver I am really liking the looks and review on the new 2014 Silverado and I am looking forward to our first one hitting the lot next month.  I know with the changes Chevrolet has been making on all the cars the new Impala is AMAZING and the new Silverado looks like it will follow.  I am still very sad that the Avalanche is going away and it is hard to think about buying any thing else.  But I figure I will always own one, I still at time see the 2002 Avalanche driving around and it brings back the memories to my first one and all the good times over the year with it.  It is kind of funny that GM is dropping the Avalanche even the Corp staff loves them, our zone manager (who gets a car provided by GM) went out and bought an Avalanche because of it being the last year and he feels its been the best truck built!!

HD25002AV said:
It is still available and many have bought 2013's and others are set for a while but as of now, 2013 is the end for a great truck.  I switch vehicles every couple years and have been thinking about a new Avalanche but it might not be available anymore once I'm ready.   So was just curious what Avalanche owners were thinking as replacements....at least until they start building it again.

A very tired old song ditty comes to mind, "Love the one you're with if you can't be with the one you love?

There are many ways to mix the prose, but it's all the same. Love what you have. If worse comes to pass, then you'll have to make a decision.

We've all managed in some form or fashion to make do before the Avalanche found us.

It's all about imagination and patience. :cool:

At some point in the future, I wouldn't be surprised to read on a forum somewhere about how an inspired gear head mangled a Sierra, Silverado, or possibly a Ram or F150 and fabricated a series of features such as the Mid Gate, Removable Window, and other such items.  :rolleyes:

To avoid this problem, I picked up a 2013 Black LTZ Black Diamond Edition Avie last night.  My Mom still has her 2002 Z66 which she loves dearly.  I really can't imagine not having an Avie in the family so kept my Chrysler 300C to keep the miles on the Avie reasonable....

I'm in the process of buying a new Fairway Green Black Diamond.... (y) Which if I get it, I plan on driving it as long as I can. A member of this site is helping us with the Friends and Family discount...which is awesome!! We are so grateful, pray for us.

naylor99 said:
I'm set for a little while.  (y)
Same here. Traded in the '08 Avalanche for a '13 Texas Edition Avalanche. Should be good to go for quite awhile now.

Tom...

A GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab....

My Avy had way more mechanical problems
Got half the gas milage
Had a harsher ride. 
Didn't have OnStar, Heated seats, or Bluetooth
The Chevy Dealer was terrible compared to the GMC dealer for service. 

but........

God I miss my Avy......makes no sense....but I do....
Is it too late to switch back?  #missmybaby
:needhug:

Just test drove the 2014 GMC 2500HD Denali.  While it is a very nice truck we are keeping the Avalanche as nothing can ever replace it.  :love:

Still looking at 2013 Avalanche but not very good stock of Black Diamonds here in Northern California. I just started looking though, so I still have more searching to do.

Does BMW make a real truck :laugh:

We are planning 8 to 10 more years for the Av. 80K miles, I drive about 10K miles a year. After that no idea

I honestly don't know... I couldn't imagine not having one  :(

I look around for older, low milage AV's regularly. Sadly, they are becoming few and far in between  :cry:

The black diamond only has 28k miles, and I don't anticipate getting rid of it ever.. In a couple of years, it should get moved to a warmer climate, and hopefully become garage kept... At that point, it will get a full reconditioning (professional paint correction, undercoating, etc).. It's pretty rusty underneath and it is going to need redone by then

I might look around for a nice, low mileage, truck one of these days to make a full time garage queen and more of a "show truck"

I really want a time capsule AV someday... Because I know that they will slowly disappear as time goes on..

I was all set to pick-up a 2016 Sierra... but found a 2013 LTZ Avy and something clicked in my head! Drove almost a 1000 miles to make the deal and I have been smiling ever since...  :D

Well the time has come, traded my 2006 avalanche Z71. Every day driver  51 to work 51 back bought it new in 2005  263,000 miles now I can brag
without worry about what might happen. rear torsion after a month had that pop they all had . changed the transmission fluid every  80,000 miles
still worked like a charm. Replace one axel seal on the rear, one set of brake shoes and that gas tank vent  twice. dealer sprayed  I think the gator back under warranty. she had no dents or dings just a paint chip here and there one alternator.  Belts 3 times  she never left me on the side of the road. South  Carolina  To fort lost in the woods Missouri  twice  Texas  3 times , Disney world  3 times  best truck I ever owned . she took care of me and the family
through the hot, cold , snow. changed the oil every time it hit about 5 %. I am now riding in a 2016 Z71 crew cab  and it is nice but if there had been an 
2016 avalanche I would have my buttocks setting in one now. I have been  a mechanic  for 40 years so I stayed on top of the up keep, I have hear and read on here a lot of horror stories .   

102 mile round-trip commute??

You should have done like I did, keep the AV, but get a low-cost diesel commuter (in my case a 16-year-old Jetta) to not worry about the miles.

PerfectReign said:
102 mile round-trip commute??

You should have done like I did, keep the AV, but get a low-cost diesel commuter (in my case a 16-year-old Jetta) to not worry about the miles.
Isn't life too short to drive a Jetta?  :kidding:

Back