• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

I need a bit more info on spindles

Tugboatscotty

PM 2014
PM 2013
I have decided to look into spindles, I have searched around and found a few bits here and there, even probably one of the best how to's ive seen.

I still have a few questions though. Is a spindle lift basically the same as using leveling keys, is it better to do a spindle lift? Im assuming you would do a spindles lift and still put a small spacer in the rear. Basically I haven't seen a real answer if one is better than the other, Im not really talking about price, just is one a better way to achieve lift?

I know with keys you install the keys, get an alignment and boom done. Is it the same with spindles, or do you need other things, extended brake lines, different shocks, new wheels, ect...

thanks

did you see the following threads?  There are over 5 pages on spindles and maybe looking in the  Perf: Drivetrain Brakes & Suspension section might get the answer you're looking for there.  I do know when I dropped my AV the better way to go was using the spindle and not the key.  Better control.  I would think the same for lifted AVs.  Spindles are better then leveling keys.  Good luck

Keys vs. Spindles
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,136840.0.html

About Body Lifts From The Experts (beware!) 
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,8610.msg122875.html#msg122875

Spindle lift
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,50436.msg782973.html#msg782973

this might help

BUDMAN said:
cybexusa, you're going to have to do yourself a favor & put some time in to research this.  If you take a few hours of your time to read in just this section, you'll get more information than you could handle.  Then, check with your shops and possibly speak with their customers.  A good lift can be installed incorrectly and render it worthless in the eyes of the owner.  Everyone on this board will brag on their lift as being the best, but when it gets down to it, there is no BEST lift.  The best lift is the one you're happy with.

Do your research.  Find the shop & talk to them.  Some kits they're more comfortable with and may push you that way.  For others, it could just be pushing the sale.  The bottom line is they all achieve lift.  The diferences are how it's done.

I have had no problems at all with my lift and if I could do it again, I would not even think about any of these name brands.  Custom will be my next route with lots more lift on a truck that's got more guts and a solid front axle.  It rides great, but I want bigger and more power.

Happy hunting.

Desert Rat said:
I know a few members have changed out the spindles on 2wd to lift only the front....

But I believe the spindles lift the front 3"... might be more then you want...

Also ford keys are cheaper then new spindles, and cheaper to have installed if you donot have the resources to do the work yourself....

If you decide to do ford keys...

Rent a 2 jaw gear puller (napa for instance... $150 deposit on the tool... full refund when returned so in the end, costs nothing to use the tool)

Find a shop in your area kind of like we have here in  Arizona... www.gearheadgarageinc.com
$15 bucks an hour for use of a vehicle lift... for 15 bucks walking under the truck is alot better then laying on your back to do this mod....

Finding a shop to do the key change out for you... look to spend about 60 bucks give or take.....

No matter what route you do, like I Chnge said... go get an alignment... the cheapest place I have found for an alignment.... your local chevy dealer.... cost $34.95

Grey

also.... I paid a shop to do mine, but shortly after, aided a local member with the install of a 6" lift on a 2003 Z66 Av..... with installing the lift removal of the torsion bars is a must.... and well... in retro spect I should have just done the mod myself on my AV.... just too impatient to get it done...

Got the keys, had the keys installed, picked up my tires, had the tires installed... all withing about 3 hour time span... LOL.... I guess I am not the most paitent person when it comes to installing mods on my AV.... >:D

thanks for the reply Loggie, but as I stated in my original post, There is no real information in any of those post. I had read them all before. they all ask the same questions with no answers. I have put more than a few hours into going over the forums and internet looking into spindles. I guess ill just keep looking

I think that's the point....you wont get a true answer other then what one member thinks is better then another.

When I did my drop on my 02' I went with spindles because I read it was the best method and provided better control. But nothing official froma reputable source other then member's own experiences within the club  (y)

(y) I see your point. Thanks for the help. My problem is when Im at work I get real bored and i read so much stuff my mind kind of goes numb.

:laugh:  been there done that (y)  my problem is I buy stuff >:D

yeah, my wife said if i didn't stop ordering stuff she was going to start inviting the ups guy in....

oh check your pm's loggie

I tried using the 2wd spindles on the 4x4 since they are the same part #. That didnt work. The lift spindles basically moves the upper control arm up 3 inches, at least thats what I saw. Tugboat, whats your email address?

Countryboy1661, so the spindles didn't lift your truck, but they moved the UCA up?  I have plenty of lift with keys, I just need to get the UCA's off the bumpstops and help the ball joint angle a little.

Back