• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Sail Panel LED'S (Simplified-instructions and details only please)

woodynmotion

SM 2017
Ok, so not to be a pain in the ( Y ) I have to ask someone in the know to write/rewrite the instructions including parts list on how to wire for the Sail Panel LED's.  There is 42 pages of info-ALOT for this little mind to soak in.  In fact I went through it all, and now my head spins uncontrollably.  I understand there is alot of variables such as year of Avalanche and how you want them to light up.  In my particular case I want the lights to light up for everything; blinkers, brakes, running lights and so on.  I also want the lights to be as flush as possible.  I can manage basic wiring provided I have a detailed parts list of what to buy at Radio shack or SuperbrightLED's or ? 

My original thought was for someone (expert at this) to do a rewrite of the instructions and parts list in a new post then have the mods lock it, to prevent the discussion (that's already in 42 pages of another post).  Keeping it simple for someone like myself!  :rolleyes:  Thanks in advance for any cooperation. 

(I have a 2005 Z71 Avy)

I was thinking the same thing. Would be nice to have parts list and instructions for both the older and newer models.

(y)
old skool said:
I was thinking the same thing. Would be nice to have parts list and instructions for both the older and newer models.

(y)  plus someone to guide me along.  :kidding:

Here are the LED's:  http://www.oznium.com/prewired-leds

And here are the holders: http://www.oznium.com/led-holder

You want the 5MM ones. And you want the Plastic 5mm Led Holders.

Here's how I put the leds together with the s.p. plug, Don't know if it's right or not but seemed the only way I could get them to fit.
SailPanelLEDS004.jpg

SailPanelLEDS005.jpg

Sailpanel002.jpg

Sailpanel003.jpg

Remove the grab handles and the 4 30mm torx on the sides of the saddlebag. Also remove the 10mm bolt inside the SB so you can lift it up a little.
SailPanelLEDS001.jpg

SailPanelLEDS002.jpg

Remove the plastic screws in the SP
SailPanelLEDS003.jpg

Fish the wires from the LEDs through BOTH holes *NOTE This pix shows the LEDS in the holders the first way I put them into the holders, pix above are current
SailPanelLEDS007.jpg

SailPanelLEDS008.jpg

Make your connections with scotchlocks. The top one will only have 2 wires in each connection. You will have to add wire to extend the LED leads with these ones. I used 22ga twisted wire I had laying around the garage.
SailPanelLEDS009.jpg

I used electrical tape on the wires where they cross over metal in the saddlebags to prevent chaffing.** Edit** I have since drilled a hole right where you see that wire and inserted wire loom through the hole. I had other wires to run and didn't want them getting pinched so they are all through the wire loom now.
SailPanelLEDS010.jpg

Connections at the tail light for me. Lower bulb, Brown (driver's side) Brown/white (passenger side) are +, Black on both sides are Ground
SailPanelLEDS011.jpg

Viola  (y)
Sailpanel004.jpg

These are only tied into the running lights.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ztXiz0IEOc

For those of you who would like to have them tied into the Turn Signals, Brake and Running lights, Here's a schematic crude drawing of where to place diodes and resistors.

splbrakesandturnsandrunninglights_zps04a29904.jpg

I know I'm not the best at pix like this so if there's any questions feel free to post up.

The BROWN WIRE is the running lights. You need to add a diode and a resistor to dim them down so they can be distinguished from the brake lights and turn signals.

The YELLOW WIRE goes to the left turn signal

The DARK GREEN WIRE goes to the right turn signal

You'll have to ground the other side of the wires from the LEDS.

The way I did mine was:

Each run to the SPL's should only have TWO wires coming off, one gets only a diode, the other gets a diode and a resistor.  The resistor + diode side goes to the turn signal, and the diode only side goes to the brake lights.

Troublemaker said:
The way I did mine was:

Each run to the SPL's should only have TWO wires coming off, one gets only a diode, the other gets a diode and a resistor.  The resistor + diode side goes to the turn signal, and the diode only side goes to the brake lights.
This works fine if you're running it to the trailer harness.

Yeah get a t connector for trailer wiring harness with a flat 5pin connector.  Then wire a fine pin plug into leds. Then plug into your adapter

Oooooh I like that idea of using my existing trailer wiring harness.  I forgot to mention I do haul a boat and a LOF is in the future as well.  (I hate when I forget things)

I'm trying to purchase replacement sail panel grommets that we put the LED's through.. apparently I lost one over the years and want to fix my lights. Does anyone know what part it is on gmpartsdiect.com? I can't find them???

Thanks. Don't think I am going to go with chrome, just the black screws. I guess I'll just have to ask the dealer  :E:

has  anyone done the crome holders? if so can you post a pic debating how the will look thanks guys!  (y)

Troublemaker said:
They look great at first, but after a couple years in the harsh NJ snow/salt seasons, they look a little worn out.  I may have to replace mine!  (I don't have a pic, or I'd add it)
Ok no worries I was just debating if I wanted to pay the extra for that and if it would go since mine is pretty much all black

I'm going to do this mod this weekend on my 07. I'm going to route the wires to the trailer hitch wiring. If I want the led's to work with just the running lights, would I need to use any resistors or diodes? What color is the wire in the trailer hitch loom for the running lights?

No need for resistors or diodes, assuming you are using 12v LEDs, if hooking them up as running lights.  I've got mine wired as running lights.

enoniam said:
No need for resistors or diodes, assuming you are using 12v LEDs, if hooking them up as running lights.  I've got mine wired as running lights.
What if we want them to work as tail lights and brake lights what does that require?

I've been reading about making the led's into turn signal and stop lights. Some have said you don't need to use resistors at the trailer harness. is that correct?

Yes use a diode so power does not back flow into the trailer harness.

Most newer 12volt LEDs have built in resistors.

K with the Propane Conversion on my Av had my last scare from DUMMIES!

Dual 18gal LGP under my Butt can do that to you!

I order my Sail LEDS today but FYI your Youtube link is dead!

:B:

:beating:Youtube

Back